Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

POLL: MG36 as acceptable lmg yay or nay?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

View Poll Results: MG36 as an acceptable lmg in airsoft games?
yes 124 73.37%
no 37 21.89%
undecided 8 4.73%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 14th, 2014, 03:58   #76
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Airsoft isn't real, it's a simulation or a combat based sport. The idea behind running or not running an LMG is the extra ammo capacity. Box mags, drum mags, high-caps, etc are usually banned. If they are allowed mostly it's in an LMG to be properly used as a support weapon. From here there are two trains if thought to consider; firstly is your gun competitive against what's on the field, can it do its job, or are you just trying to look cool and/or have more ammo than everyone else? Second is the ammo capacity. Those magazines are banned for a reason, basically sportsmanship. So if there is a heavy gunner/support class that allows them, the big, heavy, cumbersome LMG comes with it as a balancing point. There is no clever way to make an ultra-light proper LMG, or turn your not LMG into a bullshit variant. That would all defeat the purpose of the sportsmanship rules. Essentially you'd be running a nice light gun with a massive ammo capacity, having a lot more than everyone else. Get a full sized or run standard 30/40 round magazines. Those are your two options.
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:41   #77
Battlemage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Airsoft isn't real, it's a simulation or a combat based sport. The idea behind running or not running an LMG is the extra ammo capacity. Box mags, drum mags, high-caps, etc are usually banned. If they are allowed mostly it's in an LMG to be properly used as a support weapon. From here there are two trains if thought to consider; firstly is your gun competitive against what's on the field, can it do its job, or are you just trying to look cool and/or have more ammo than everyone else? Second is the ammo capacity. Those magazines are banned for a reason, basically sportsmanship. So if there is a heavy gunner/support class that allows them, the big, heavy, cumbersome LMG comes with it as a balancing point. There is no clever way to make an ultra-light proper LMG, or turn your not LMG into a bullshit variant. That would all defeat the purpose of the sportsmanship rules. Essentially you'd be running a nice light gun with a massive ammo capacity, having a lot more than everyone else. Get a full sized or run standard 30/40 round magazines. Those are your two options.
Due to wind, leaves and very short engagement distances I would say in outdoor play it takes four bbs to accomplish the intended outcome on average. This is why midcaps don't bother all but the most hardcore milsims.
Battlemage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:07   #78
SuperCriollo

How would you guys feel about the Galil ARM being used as an LMG ? It's another mag fed LMG which, like others wasn't very successful or widespread. some countries still use it as such though.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:12   #79
DrunkenTeddy
FatJ

C-mags are bulky, hard to carry extras, finicky (at least the ones I've seen), and they rattle. Similar down sides to carrying an actual LMG except the weight of the gun itself, but then you look at the Ares Stoner, it weighs less than many regular AEGs, so maybe that's a moot point. I don't like the idea of a field full of kids with M4's and G36's with C-mags in them, but there are real life equivalents of these guns, and there are still disadvantages to carrying this kind of weapon. If I were organizing a game with magazine limits I would allow any LMG that the real life equivalent can be belt fed, if someone showed up on a game day with a C-mag I would assess the number of support guns already on each team. If the ratio of support guns to regular guns was low (less than one per 5) and the number of support guns was higher on one team, I would allow a c-mag fed gun to play on a team that is short on support gunners.

This is of course my own opinion on the matter, and personally I would caution people away from even bothering with C-mag's merely because this opinion is going to change from game to game and if you really want to play the support gunner role you should probably pick up a traditional LMG to ensure game organizers will let you use it. I wouldn't want to show up to a game with a c-mag fed gun and have to argue with a game organizer to get it onto the field.
DrunkenTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 13:49   #80
CarpentryHero

I'd love to see more LMG guns hit the market, I do like drunkenTeddy's description of allowing c mag guns only if a team is short support gunners.

I kind of deal that way about DMR's, there not snipers, but if the role is vacant and there gun isn't firing to hot, then why not right?
I don't feel that dmr should be aloud to shoot any hotter than assault rifles, but there are people with loadouts that do just fine out ranging via scope and longer tightbore barrel

I'm just glad that this is nothing like CallOfDuty, where LMG's can fill in for marksmen in a pinch
CarpentryHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 16:00   #81
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

What if we limit aegs to lowcaps and allow midcaps only for mag fed LMGs?
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 16:20   #82
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

A smart gunner rolling with a regular squad only loads 300-400 in the drum, fills out the rest of the ammo allowance with regular mags for his squad, and only engages when directed to do so anyway. While I see and accept all arguments here, I'm afraid I don't really understand the problem.

It sounds like another case for the platinum rule; 'Don't be a Dick'.
Are proper MG36s not gigantic, or is it really that proper MG36s don't really exist in airsoft? I'm pretty sure I've handled an Ares MG36, and it was like holding 4ft long alien manparts with an awkward aim-hole. That's less-worse than carrying around the clanky cinderblock that is any 249, the transmission block that is any m60, or the godless communist bullshit that is anything else, but I can't see it conveying any real advantage that isn't somehow offset by it being an HR Giger phallic symbol.

(Clarification for '36 lovers: I am bagging on you in good fun, not actually being a hater)
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 16:28   #83
Cliffradical

Half-joking pedantic argument:
Are accurate, ~400fps single-shot shotguns sniper weapons?
Answer:
Not when used 'properly', but yes, I've seen it.
Old July 17th, 2014, 16:36   #84
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCriollo View Post
How would you guys feel about the Galil ARM being used as an LMG ? It's another mag fed LMG which, like others wasn't very successful or widespread. some countries still use it as such though.

But counter-strke put it as an assault rifle...(sarcasm)
Old July 17th, 2014, 16:39   #85
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlemage View Post
Due to wind, leaves and very short engagement distances I would say in outdoor play it takes four bbs to accomplish the intended outcome on average. This is why midcaps don't bother all but the most hardcore milsims.
Wind, leaves and everything else affect everyone the same way, therefor the effects are scaled evenly for everyone.

The major difference you experience in realcap games is people are shooting/spraying for nothing (or those that do run dry in a big hurry).

Having to conserve ammo changes the game dynamics significantly.
Old July 17th, 2014, 21:37   #86
ThunderCactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffradical View Post
Half-joking pedantic argument:
Are accurate, ~400fps single-shot shotguns sniper weapons?
Answer:
Not when used 'properly', but yes, I've seen it.
Im amazed how goddamn accurate some of those clear walmart shotties are. Downright upsetting. Throw a scope on that bitch and you're a sniper.
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:22   #87
DrunkenTeddy
FatJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Im amazed how goddamn accurate some of those clear walmart shotties are. Downright upsetting. Throw a scope on that bitch and you're a sniper.
I remember one of the first games I ever went to a guy was sporting some pos walmart clearsoft and kicking butt with it. Sometimes the player is more important :P (that being said screw clearsoft lol)
DrunkenTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 01:31   #88
Chlorum

Send a message via Skype™ to Chlorum
I'd say yay.
I haven't seen MG36 at the games often. Can't say it's being abused. Full-sized G36 is a rare visitor on airsoft fields, people usually go with G36C.

About belt-feeding as a criteria of LMG/non-LMG. Okay, now we have Krytac LMG which is literally a belt-fed M4. And KAC Stoner. Much better candidates for "speedsofting". They weigh about the same as MG36 and way shorter. I'm not even talking about RPK, especially the full steel one by LCT...

Last edited by Chlorum; April 3rd, 2017 at 01:36..
Chlorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 20:37   #89
ThunderCactus

This was more of an issue 3yrs ago when the last post was made lol

Airsoft compromise; assault rifles semi only, LSWs allowed full auto but still can't use highcaps, and belt fed MGs allowed box mags?
Shrike still has a quick change barrel, so it's close to being a legit LMG (was it the shrike or stoner 63 that got the military contract then failed to provide any guns?)
Fact of the matter is, new technology, new materials, new propellants; today's MGs just aint your grandpa's M1919 browning MG.
They're getting lighter, but the role is also changing to shoot less bullets and be more accurate.

LMGs in general don't seem to be very common anymore. I gave mine up for something much lighter that's just as effective.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 22:11   #90
Cliffradical

I have this A&K 249 Para which at one time struck fear into the hearts of many a noob.
Now, unless I'm playing specific games with specific people in a specific style, I just couldn't be bothered.

The shitbox MP5 and the unicorn 33E are just far better options, unless there's an element present which makes lugging a microwave oven around fun.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion