Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tm fa-mas f1/sv

:

Accessories Discussion

Old January 21st, 2009, 04:25   #1
SultanOfShwing

Tm fa-mas f1/sv

I could possibly be buying a TM FA-MAS F1/SV and I'm wondering if you can use an M4/M16 style STANAG magazine in one with little or no modification. I have a bunch of M4/M16 magazines so if they are compatible it will definitely make the purchase easier.
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:47   #2
Fly 9

Send a message via MSN to Fly 9
You will need to do modifications. I have both a FAMAS and an M16, no dice.
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:24   #3
kalnaren

It's been done before, but AFAIK both the FA-MAS receiver and the magazines have to be modified.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 14:27   #4
Fly 9

However, a good starter gun with a considerable ROF and it's nice and compact with a barrel length of a non-bullpup rifle. Looks kick arse with a red dot.
Just don't take it apart and you'll be fine....if you get one that is.
Old January 21st, 2009, 15:22   #5
SultanOfShwing

Thanks for the responses. The primary reason for my buying this I suppose is because I found what looks to be a good deal for one on CL ($200, 1 mag, no bat). I would just use it a a backup gun that I can let friends use. So its limited modification options aren't too much of a concern for me.

One more question though. If you modify the FA-MAS to accept M4/M16 mags, will it no longer accept normal FA-MAS mags and will the modified M4/M16 mags no longer work in an M4/M16?
Old January 21st, 2009, 15:25   #6
Fly 9

The catch mechanism on the FAMAS and the M16 are different. If you mod it to accept M16 mags then it's unlikely it'll still be happy with the FAMAS ones.
Old January 21st, 2009, 16:08   #7
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfShwing View Post
One more question though. If you modify the FA-MAS to accept M4/M16 mags, will it no longer accept normal FA-MAS mags and will the modified M4/M16 mags no longer work in an M4/M16?
Correct. It will no longer be able to accept FA-MAS mags. If I remember correctly, the mods you have to do to the M16 mags also make them usless in any other gun.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
Old January 21st, 2009, 20:29   #8
markedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Correct. It will no longer be able to accept FA-MAS mags. If I remember correctly, the mods you have to do to the M16 mags also make them usless in any other gun.
Actually the modification that is required on the mag will not render it unusable in an M16 / M4. You need to cut a matching slot at the front of the M16 mag that is in the same position as the famas mag as well as taking a small 1/4" piece from the back spine of the M16 mag (The back of the famas mag is flat)
The mod needed on the famas is just a little trimming inside the mag well that is virtually invisible with either famas or M16 mag inserted and both mags will still work in the originally intended gun
markedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 21:03   #9
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by markedman View Post
Actually the modification that is required on the mag will not render it unusable in an M16 / M4. You need to cut a matching slot at the front of the M16 mag that is in the same position as the famas mag as well as taking a small 1/4" piece from the back spine of the M16 mag (The back of the famas mag is flat)
The mod needed on the famas is just a little trimming inside the mag well that is virtually invisible with either famas or M16 mag inserted and both mags will still work in the originally intended gun
Strange. Last time I looked it up the modifacations to the famas magwell were so extensive (since an M16 mag doesn't fit) that the normal mas mags no longer sat in the magwell well enough to use.

Quote:
Old January 21st, 2009, 21:05   #10
markedman

Case in point (if my pictures work that is)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1583.JPG (1.41 MB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1584.JPG (1,000.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1585.JPG (1.51 MB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1586.JPG (1.41 MB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1589.JPG (1.34 MB, 35 views)
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:02   #11
geoffreym

I've modified my TM FAMAS to accept STANAG however for some reason my STAR low caps refuse to feed properly. any ideas why.
geoffreym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:11   #12
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Do they work in other guns? If not try lubing the track inside (thats if its a lo/mid cap) or try taking the spring out from the track and stretching it as it may have been compressed for too long and it lost its "springyness". If none of that works and it still doesn't work in more than one gun then you just got some that are lemons. Something the only solution is: buy more mags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:25   #13
markedman

Its also possible that the slot that was cut to lock the mag in place is just a little off. Try pressing the mag in place and see if it loads proper that way. Being a plastic mag it will be easy to reposition the hole.
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:12   #14
diamond_SEA

Send a message via MSN to diamond_SEA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Incorrect.

I did the magazine mod, and my famas mags work fine in my Famas. My M16 mags now work both in my famas and in m16/m4 models.

The modification removes a bit of plastic in the reciever next to the hopup to accomodate the larger bb retention spring in the magazine, and the magazine has a channel cut on the front of the magazine to use the famas mag catch. neither modification alters the original functionality.

After modifiying several of my m16 magazines, if the fit isnt "just right" they have issues feeding in the famas. Feedings should remain normal on an m4. Try it out on an m4 model, and if it doesnt feed, its a normal feeding issue. That is, unless you drilled too deeply when modifying the magazines and hit the channel that holds the bbs.

Last edited by diamond_SEA; February 15th, 2010 at 10:14..
diamond_SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 14:28   #15
geoffreym

they work in an M4 and i've already done all of it, i've been able to modify a metal highcap which works, and i'me going to attempt to re spring the spring but any other ideas will be preferable, with pictures would be nice.
geoffreym is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion