Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

AK Fire Selector

:

Doctor's Corner

Old October 13th, 2008, 18:26   #1
Conscript
AKaholic

AK Fire Selector

Hey guys, I'm sure you guys have experienced this problem before of the AK selector screw getting loose.

What is the best way to keep this sucker tight? (Loctite, Tape?)
Conscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 18:31   #2
ShelledPants

I haven't had that happen on my AK yet, but Loctite (or even nail polish...) should be fine. Remember, that you don't want it to be permanent, so get the right loctite.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 18:32   #3
GZA

All you need to do is tighten the screw, gently pry off the little cap off of the selector switch and crank'er down - but not too much of course, last thing you want is a stripped screw.

If its not the screw thats the issue, then its probably the bushing under the screw, the brass channel, or the inner selector parts on the gearbox.
GZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 18:37   #4
Conscript
AKaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZA View Post
All you need to do is tighten the screw, gently pry off the little cap off of the selector switch and crank'er down - but not too much of course, last thing you want is a stripped screw.

If its not the screw thats the issue, then its probably the bushing under the screw, the brass channel, or the inner selector parts on the gearbox.
I've done that many times before, after about 25 full selector changes it gets to be loose like a wizard's sleeve.

The screw isn't stripped, the brass washer/tube is alright, could it be the bushing though? When I took my AK apart I forgot if the bushing went concave or convex (Due to its shape) so I just put it back together.
Conscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 18:58   #5
Krusty

I stripped my Ak Selector when I first bought a AK not knowing that a loose selector is a common problem. If it just turning you will need to replace the mech-box. This is very common problem with this design. I own 4 AK's and the ICS I have is the worst for loose selector.

a) I recommend the King Arms Version 3 in black it very tight but will do the job.

b) Very carefully bend the selector with some pliers on the end of the selector (not the end with the screw). It common with metal body AK to have a bad contact with the fire selector.

c) Semi-perminant lock-tight on the screw only and let the lock tight sit for 10 seconds then screw on selector to a little more than hand tight.

Last edited by Krusty; October 13th, 2008 at 19:01..
Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner