Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

How to paint gun?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old July 6th, 2008, 02:13   #1
cbcsteve
Nice Guy

How to paint gun?

Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone can direct me to which paint they found most succesful when painting their own gun

There is a local Home depot, Rona and Canadian Tire around that I am sure has tons of paint but I was wondering which ones have you used to get a awesome look

I am mainly looking for paint that can create a shiny metallic look similar to this
http://indo-data.com/pdimage/04/7140...3stainless.jpg

Unless it is not possible to make it look shiny like that

I remember my friend once use Lacquer on my wooden Batons and they look really shiny so I was wondering can achive the same affect by just

Spray painting silver and then lacquer to make it shiny?

Anyone know where I can get

Shiny Gold Metallic Paint
Shiny Silver Metallic Paint
Shiny Black Metallic Paint
cbcsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:23   #2
Kos-Mos

Prep the surface correctly and use some bumper chrome paint.

Then clear-coat and polish the clear.

Or get some hobby chome paint. Mirror finish in s single coat.
You MUST clear coat after, because that paint is just like powder, as soon as you touch, it goes away.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:53   #3
cbcsteve
Nice Guy

Whats clear coat? Is that another paint or something? or just a touch up?
Old July 6th, 2008, 13:16   #4
Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcsteve View Post
Whats clear coat? Is that another paint or something? or just a touch up?
Oh my, perhaps YOU shouldn't paint, let someone else that actually knows what their doing.

Google is for you.
But I'll give you a little spoon feed.

Their are metallic paints out there most of which are single stage, meaning that it is base coat and clear coat in one. So you only need the one can. I'd reccomend Krylon seeing as they adhere quite nicely without sanding or priming, however depending on what surface your painting, you may want to prime or scuff.
Check canadian tire and research with the search funtion or google before asking questions.
Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 14:03   #5
cbcsteve
Nice Guy

Buddy you should read my first post more carefully before flaming with the "go read google" thing, my main question was where in the GTA or Toronto can I find the right brands that other players used and found it to be successful in their projects.

Such a specific search in google for shops in GTA especially local shops that do not have internet sites would be hard to find

Obviously you being in Manitoba most likely would not know about the local stores and brands here in the GTA and Ontario

Kos-Mos directed me to chrome paint from hobby shops which was definitely useful.
Old July 6th, 2008, 15:32   #6
Kos-Mos

This is the paint.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=ALC107

At most places, you will have to order it.
You also have to apply it with an airbrush. They are not made in aerosol versions.

A clear coat, it just the hard, clear part that is included in most paints. In this specific case (as with most high grade paints), the base coat is very fragile and needs an over coat.

That specific paint will give a mirror-like finish is the surface is very smooth. I painted a plastic slide with it and it looked like a chromed metal slide after the paint.

Krylon makes some very impressive clear coats, in 3 versions: Flat, Satin and Cristal.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 16:34   #7
stevesawatsky

cbc, i'm quite sure he read your initial post. but if you don't know what clear coat is... stay away from paint.
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:54   #8
Optimus88

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesawatsky View Post
cbc, i'm quite sure he read your initial post. but if you don't know what clear coat is... stay away from paint.
I know what clear coat is and own an airbrush (i used it mainly to paint model cars lol) and even I'd stay away from painting my guns. it'll never turn out like you imagine it in your head, or atleast it never does for me...
Optimus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:25   #9
Dao

Has anyone here used the Krylon metallic paints like the premium metallic http://www.krylon.com/products/premium_metallic/
or just the metallic ones? http://www.krylon.com/products/metallic_paints/

The description says that the finish resembles actual metal plating.

So just wondering if anyone has tried those as I'm also looking for a paint that can create a shiny metallic to paint a WA Infinity outer barrel.

Last edited by Dao; July 15th, 2008 at 02:29..
Dao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:01   #10
airborneboi69

Send a message via MSN to airborneboi69
for my tm m4 i redid my upper and lower reciever with flat black fusion krylon and silver fusion krylon and it give a very metalic finish in just minutes i was very impressed looks very realistic
hope that helped DAO
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:55   #11
panda86

You might also want to look into Duplicolor. They make accessory paint for cars and I think they have chrome too.
panda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 20:00   #12
Dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneboi69 View Post
for my tm m4 i redid my upper and lower reciever with flat black fusion krylon and silver fusion krylon and it give a very metalic finish in just minutes i was very impressed looks very realistic
hope that helped DAO
Thanks airborneboi69, but I can't seem to find the Krylon Fusion in silver collor. The closest thing I found as something called "Satin Pewter Gray"

Anyway If I can find the Krylon Metallics I will give a try and see how it works.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications