Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Anyone have or use an ARMY R85A1 L85

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old May 14th, 2008, 11:57   #1
MagnumPeanut

Anyone have or use an ARMY R85A1 L85

I was looking at this rifle and I want one but can't find an affordable one of course. Just wondering if anyone has tried this one. I know its a Chinese knock off but thought it would be worth having one maybe. I read the review for G&G version and it seemed ok.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:07   #2
kalnaren

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=51318

The QC from Army is horrendous. You might get one that will work great and need very little work, or you might get one with a ton of problems. If you read the review at arnies, it appears most of them develope problems over time. If you want it as a project gun it isn't too bad, but for a reliable primary or backup, I would stear clear. For $460 (or whatever shootsoft's price is) it's not bad.. but it's not amazing either. I'm probably going to wait for the ICS one before I get another L85.

PM me if you want specifics on the issues I encountered with mine.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."

Last edited by kalnaren; May 14th, 2008 at 12:13..
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:09   #3
jaymz1911

Send a message via MSN to jaymz1911
Hi, Yup I have a Army R85, it seems to be a good rifle so far... I've had no problems with it... But I haven't gamed it... But I think it could hold up to a beating... Just my 2 cents though.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:13   #4
MagnumPeanut

Is there any news on when ICS may release their version.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:14   #5
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumPeanut View Post
Is there any news on when ICS may release their version.
Not for a while. Probably be at least a year before it's available here in Canada.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
Old May 14th, 2008, 15:12   #6
MrEvolution
MrChairsoft

Brit ter uses this gun, send him a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrail25 View Post
I'm no expert on the law, but the only victims of rape in this story are the 40 men.
MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 16:14   #7
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

I've never heard anything about this brand, is it really that bad?
pusangani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 16:33   #8
Apoc_
Eagle Eye

G'day,

I bought one, NIB. Completely dead out of package and the fore end was broken off. I sold it to someone who fixed everything within a couple of hours of owning it. Net result, I would not buy anything Army Armaments without first verifying function personally. Anyone buying an R85 should be aware that they are VERY ass-heavy. Even with the battery up front it's not balanced at all to my liking.

APOCALYPSE - TEAM HELLFISH
Apoc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 16:36   #9
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

woah, i could've grabbed one of these for a good price but the price was a little TOO good i think
Old May 14th, 2008, 19:56   #10
kalnaren

If we could get them for the $130 they sell for in the US, I'd say hells yea go for it. The truth is though for the $450-500 you'll pay for it here, you can get a far better gun for the same price. Unless you get one of the ones AA actually manages to assemble correctly. As I said, I wouldn't get it if you want a reliable primary or secondary -but for a project gun that you don't mind putting work into, it's not too bad.

I should probably update my review to reflect this.

Quote:
Old May 14th, 2008, 20:01   #11
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
If we could get them for the $130 they sell for in the US, I'd say hells yea go for it. The truth is though for the $450-500 you'll pay for it here, you can get a far better gun for the same price. Unless you get one of the ones AA actually manages to assemble correctly. As I said, I wouldn't get it if you want a reliable primary or secondary -but for a project gun that you don't mind putting work into, it's not too bad.

I should probably update my review to reflect this.

yeah, that brand seems to be on the lower end of the spectrum as far as US prices go, so for someone buying it in-country then they might be better off getting something else
Old May 14th, 2008, 22:53   #12
Brit ter

I bought one from Haung ,the only prob. I have with it is the mags not seating tight in the mag well . Other than that she rocks!
Old May 14th, 2008, 23:13   #13
Naglfar

My friend is looking to buy this gun, I spoke with him about it and I do believe the Army version makes sense over say, the STAR. It's $600-700 cheaper than the STAR in Canada, and still mostly metal (plus it has the cool bolt cycling which he likes).
So for that huge savings, throw on a new inner barrel, bushings, piston, spring guide and it should probably function just as well as the STAR.
Down the road, you could replace all the internals and end up with something very robust for much less than the cost of a top of the line manufacturer.
Naglfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 23:16   #14
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naglfar View Post
My friend is looking to buy this gun, I spoke with him about it and I do believe the Army version makes sense over say, the STAR. It's $600-700 cheaper than the STAR in Canada, and still mostly metal (plus it has the cool bolt cycling which he likes).
So for that huge savings, throw on a new inner barrel, bushings, piston, spring guide and it should probably function just as well as the STAR.
Down the road, you could replace all the internals and end up with something very robust for much less than the cost of a top of the line manufacturer.
I had severe misfeeding issues with mine, seemed to be aggravated by installing a tightbore.

Quote:
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:21   #15
MagnumPeanut

Well. I can get one for $200 new. I am going to make sure they verify its functionality before they ship it I guess. For 200 bones I don't think I can go wrong. I am going to look into what upgrades it will take.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion