Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

203 long or short?!

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old October 7th, 2007, 18:47   #1
Buds and Suds

203 long or short?!

When I bought my M15A4 SPC I had a m203 in mind. Now, I cant find any pics with a short 203 on it. I saw one with a RIS style 203 long and it looked a bit silly without the barrel ring attached like the non RIS version. But it had me curious on the short and what it looked like, or if there is any differences that might stop me from buying one. My first thought with the short was that the grenade might be more visable inside the tube. Anyways, if anyone had buyers regrets with the short or long version id love to hear it. I dont know which one to buy and was hoping to get all the asthetic and performance facts from 203 owners perferably.
Buds and Suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 00:03   #2
lykurgus

have both,, doesnt seem to matter as far as shells go,, more important as to the manueverabilty of the weapon and weight etc...

http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/,, 100% canadian, online airsoft retail badass.

http://www.gc-minis.com/ ,, 30% off games-workshop miniatures...
lykurgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 00:31   #3
jerryliang2k

Send a message via MSN to jerryliang2k
don't be a sissy, long all the way
Also, I personally think the RAS mounted m203 looks ugly. Functional, yes, but ugly.

Zi-Xiao

Sidearms
- KWA G18c
- WE 1911
jerryliang2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 13:12   #4
Buds and Suds

Will a non RIS version 203 fit on a RIS system??? since the side rails are apart of the whole top assembly I wasnt sure if it would create enough space. I like the Non RIS version 203 better myself.
Old October 20th, 2007, 13:27   #5
ex
Wanna buy some Nod's? #StolenValour

YUP...Assuming you have a RIS system and not a free floating RAS system. The bottom RIS comes off like a normal handguard.
Old October 20th, 2007, 23:19   #6
Non Credo

I like the look of the "non-RIS" as well, but RIS. RIS ftw. Long/short, doesnt matter just more weight, but you can mount an RIS 203 on anything with 20 mil rails... Like so:
Notice the suppressor. It is of the utmost importance that your rifle be quiet. Regardless of the 203 nades going off left and right at a billion decibels, we must keep the rifle itself quiet!
Old October 20th, 2007, 23:34   #7
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Credo View Post
Notice the suppressor. It is of the utmost importance that your rifle be quiet. Regardless of the 203 nades going off left and right at a billion decibels, we must keep the rifle itself quiet!
Once again, your public display of ignorance is as astounding as it is mindnumbing.
Old October 20th, 2007, 23:42   #8
Lakonian
kos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-royal View Post
YUP...Assuming you have a RIS system and not a free floating RAS system. The bottom RIS comes off like a normal handguard.
Isn't it the other way around?

I keep getting confused with those damn acronyms.
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 00:04   #9
JoeyJackhammer

RAS is a solid piece and RIS has the removable lower. Except the KAC RAS II which freefloats AND has a removable lower rail.
Old October 21st, 2007, 00:25   #10
Drake
E-01

Well, actually both RIS and RAS can fit an M203 (via a removable bottom panel); the RAS system just uses a slightly different attachment system (clamp). However, there are also Free Floating RAS (FF RAS) handguards -- which is what ex-royal specified -- which are one piece and therefor don't have a removable panel to accept a standard M203 mount, and use a different ring (instead of the regular delta ring).
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:19   #11
Buds and Suds

Awesome, Ill go for the non-RIS. As great as the idea of an interchangable RIS 203 is, I just dont drool as hard over it.
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:46   #12
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buds and Suds View Post
Awesome, Ill go for the non-RIS. As great as the idea of an interchangable RIS 203 is, I just dont drool as hard over it.
As long as you're just mounting it on ARs, it's fine. And I think CA has a QD mount for their M203s, too; I got that on my latest M203 (VFC/GBtech) and it's great. I think it's actually faster to remove than it was unscrewing the two thumbscrews on the RIS version (G&P Jungle one).

I also ended up getting the 12" barrel this time, previously had the shorty/9"; wasn't sure how much I'd like that, but now that I have it I'm glad I got it. I'm using a CASV handguard with a 14.5" barrel and PRI style gas block/folding front sight tower, and I find the whole front just looks big, square and aggressive. But again, as others have said, it comes down to personal preference.
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:58   #13
MrEvolution
MrChairsoft

Whats the diff between a RIS and a RAS?

What type is this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrail25 View Post
I'm no expert on the law, but the only victims of rape in this story are the 40 men.
MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:05   #14
Kutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvolution View Post

What type is this??
This article should answer your question about the difference between RIS and RAS:
http://www.quarterbore.com/kac/kacrisras.html

And the M203 in your picture can't be mounted on either an RIS or RAS. To mount it you actually have to remove the entire handguard to mount that particular version.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...4/M203_171.jpg

Last edited by Kutter; October 21st, 2007 at 03:07..
Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:07   #15
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvolution View Post

What type is this??
My RIS and RAS comment was maybe more relevant to real steel handguards. AFAIK no made-for-airsoft handguard uses the actual RAS setup with the screw-in clip. So for airsoft purposes, it's pretty much RIS or FF RAS.

The particular pic you posted is the oldschool (I find it sexy) replacement handguard for the M203 on an M16 (pre-RIS). Otherwise you'd just have the upper half of the clamshell handguard (not sexy, IMO). You sometimes see M4A1s set up that way, too.

Like this

For reference here's a pic of FF RAS (see how its all one piece, so you wouldn't be able to mount the M203 onto the barrel)

Of course that also applies to other one piece free floating barrel handguard setups.

Otherwise, regular RAS and RIS won't be very outwardly different. I couldn't find a good pic of it, but basically RAS has a clamp that goes into the barrel nut, and then gets screwed into place. But like I said, I don't know of any airsoft handguard that actually uses the system, even those that carry the RAS nomenclature because they look like realworld RAS handguards (such as the RAS II stuff from G&P).

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion