Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

mp5 weak cocking handle

:

Doctor's Corner

Old August 22nd, 2005, 18:19   #1
sanosuke689

mp5 weak cocking handle

hey, i remember seeing something on how to enforce the strength of the marui mp5 cocking handle but i can't find it in the search. I've gone through 3 handles already so any info will help. thanks
sanosuke689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 20:00   #2
Ace12GA
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Ace12GA
google.ca
Old August 22nd, 2005, 20:34   #3
mujahadeen

Send a message via ICQ to mujahadeen Send a message via MSN to mujahadeen
Planet Airsoft had and article, I tried to google it, no luck.

Simply remove the handle, use a bic pen Macgyver style to create a buffer for the handle allowing it to slap forward but NOT reach the end of the tube.

Thats your one freebie.
Curiously enough, if you take the sine of 666°, you get 0.80901699, which is one half of negative phi, or perhaps what one might call the "anti-phi" / It is opposite of balance and harmony ergo: chaos and disharmony.
mujahadeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:40   #4
Greylocks

Simpler solution; dont use it. It serves no purpose than looking good, and giving it the slam-shut slap is not a good idea.

Small note from the real gun world; you dont need to slap-shut the real H&K guns.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:45   #5
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Wink HK Recommends?

I always thought HK recommended a good whack, but I never thought that made any sense in a real situation where noise disipline was a factor...
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:27   #6
sanosuke689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocks
Simpler solution; dont use it. It serves no purpose than looking good, and giving it the slam-shut slap is not a good idea.

Small note from the real gun world; you dont need to slap-shut the real H&K guns.

well, i wasn't slapping it down like the movies, but simply pulling it back and letting it slide foward.
sanosuke689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:48   #7
TheYellowDart
Myoga

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...il?bulletID=24

This mod should protect the cocking lever from a staight pull and release. But an HK slap could still break the lever even with this mod.
TheYellowDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 13:28   #8
Treadstone71
Ain't gay, but $20 is $20

Send a message via ICQ to Treadstone71 Send a message via MSN to Treadstone71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocks
Simpler solution; dont use it. It serves no purpose than looking good
Actually, if he has a K or a PDW, the cocking lever is used to eject the stick battery.

Here's a sharp knife, have fun!

Treadstone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 17:49   #9
Dozer_01

Use a matchstick and some duct tape. Common sense would suggest that after breaking two, one wouldnt fuck around with it again.
Dozer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 18:33   #10
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
My solution is to just ignore it. I do mine, sure I'll remember it's there and give it a tug for fun, then let it back down, but I'd rather shoot the gun than screw around with parts that do nothing and break easy.

And ya, H&K does recommend the slap (ok, NOT the slap, but the need to pull the bolt full back and let smack forward) to help properly feed & seat a round in the chamber. After all, the bolt does that between each shot anyways. Just guarantees the first round is as accurate as all the following rounds.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 19:58   #11
Greylocks

The bolt (inside) moves, of course. The cocking handle does not require the abuse to work properly or to seat a round, nor does it move around after each shot.

Just so you know, I've owned, maintained and handled the real H&K products... maybe I know something about how they work?

H&K are built well enough that you can chamber a round slowly, quietly, and it will seat it.

Now I just wish folks would remember that airsoft are toys, made of plastic that will break, and stop watching too many movies? I wonder who gave those 'instructors' their courses. Bad advice in the gun world can become deadly advice.

(The fix for the airsoft versions is to replace the broken parts, remove the insides of the cocking tube, put a bit of rubber tube on the front end of the cocking lever's bolt, and reassemble. Even then, leaving it alone unless it's needed to extract the battery is the best choice).
Old August 23rd, 2005, 20:43   #12
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Guess I'll have to track down the author of the H&K book (Armourers of the Free World)to let him know he's wrong. Also all the other books & articles that state the first round loaded by the cocking handle isn't going to seat as well as those slammed into the breech by the recoiling bolt (mostly semi sniper rifles). Makes 100% sense though.

Sorry Grey, I know you know your shit extremely well, but I'll have to beg to differ with you based upon all that I've read. And that is about all you have over me, you've read as well, and claim to have the experience with the real shit, where I don't in most cases.
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:25   #13
Greylocks

Read what I wrote again, I have the real experience with the real thing and I've owned the products... It means I maintained and fired what I owned. That goes far above reading about it or even trying one at a range.

The problem here is the interpretation of the force required to close the bolt Manually for the first shot. The moment the gun fires, that is no longer an issue; the cocking handle is no longer in use.
What I'm saying is that the slam-slap-close method is not needed at all. You can close the bolt smartly on the first round without causing any damage and it will fire by simply controlling the release forward. It's quiet too. That is the beauty of the machining of the H&K guns.

Definition of 'smartly': Keep the bolt handle under control of your hand as it moves forward. You then have proper seating without any risk of damage. If your situation is one of emergency, then you disreguard the better maintenance option and slam it shut after the reload.

Also remember that the chamber of the H&K guns is built differently than any other gun out there.

Now that still does not solve the problem with Marui guns. That solution has not changed; dont use it except to remove the battery in certain models.

Anyway, enough of this. The point was to tell folks not to treat a Marui like the real thing, I think the point has been made unless they want to replace parts all the time.
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:33   #14
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

True nuff, the issue is slapping it shut, not how "smartly" it's closed. Slapping it just causes problems and especially on airsoft guns. Total Hollywood thing.
Old August 26th, 2005, 00:27   #15
Kane

Send a message via MSN to Kane
Funny how this topic seems to come up once a week, and we always discuss it along the same lines and we always get the same answers. SEARCH!!
“You hear the far-off crack of a rifle, your fate finally registering in your subconscious far too late as the white hot bullet penetrates your skull. Another round slams into the chamber even as your lifeless body falls to the ground…”---Unknown sniper

“Invisible souls leave .308 holes.”----USMC Recon Sniper
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner