Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

VFC recon vs G&G t4-18

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old December 27th, 2012, 22:58   #1
wb_1971

Question VFC recon vs G&G t4-18

I have narrowed it down to these two guns leaning more towards the G&G any useful personal experiences that you all may have may be very helpful....keep in mind it's my first gun and I'm just starting to get my load outs planned, any information on pistols would be helpful as well.

thanks in advance
wb_1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:07   #2
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_1971 View Post
I have narrowed it down to these two guns leaning more towards the G&G any useful personal experiences that you all may have may be very helpful....keep in mind it's my first gun and I'm just starting to get my load outs planned, any information on pistols would be helpful as well.

thanks in advance
These are both decent brands that come with precisely made and relatively strong gearboxes. Both G&G and VFC have absolutely awesome support when it comes to ordering replacement parts. They are upgradable and usually quite TM parts compatible.

The T4-18 is a HK416-alike... this may restrict some of your external upgrade options. The Recon is an airsoft M4 through and through and you could transform it over time quite easily.

Since this comes down to superficial external design differences, you will need to decide based on looks, ergonomics, and minor features like where you put the battery, what you can attach, etc.

Make sure you actually try these rifles in person. If you are not holding these things in your hands and trying them out in person you're doing yourself a disservice. If this is your first airsoft rifle you may find a gun with a long front rail system to be front-heavy for you. It's better to find out before buying than after.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 13:09   #3
AS92-RD

Honestly, G&Gs have been garbage in my personal experience. Almost all G&Gs in Canada come from one source so the quality level won't be much different. And if you're looking at a $600+ one from that retailer I won't mention then you will be getting hosed. That being said, VFC makes a Umarex licenced HK416 and is available for much less than that in-country.

I don't think it will stop your external upgrade options much because it is an M4 with a special HK front-end and upper receiver. Changing out the upper sections of it won't make sense in that case because you pay a premium for the HK package.

EDIT: a $600 416 clone that doesn't even come with proper trades? come oooon.
AS92-RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 13:29   #4
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

A consideration:
If the E-series is anything like the other VFC offerings, it'll be significantly lighter than the G&G. Lightweight might be a plus for longer games.

Externals-wise, VFC wins by a hair. Their casting just seems to be more sharp and precise and I've had more success with them out-of-the-box than G&G. You may also want to consider height of the upper receiver relative to the bore or cheek-weld. Coming from mainly using normal M4 flat-tops, I find the 416's height makes mounting optics a minor annoyance. Most of the standard "tall" mounts are sometimes a bit too tall for my liking, and there aren't a lot of 416-specific optic mounting options unless you want to start looking at real-steel mounts.

Last edited by Stealth; December 28th, 2012 at 13:32..
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 15:49   #5
MaciekA

I don't mean any offense to AS92-RD, but OP, you should be skeptical of posts that write off G&G as "garbage". The situation is much more nuanced than that.

There are stores in Canada that sell clear or semi-clear body G&Gs that are not worth buying. There are stores in Canada that sell G&G guns for far too high a price, anywhere from 2 to 4 times more than they are actually worth.

This does not change the fact that G&G is actually a quality brand. In Canada you will find a lot of dislike for G&G, but this is more of an accident of history than it is a mark against G&G. It's mostly the product of import customization issues and one big distributor monopolizing the G&G brand in Canada.

The following is informed by running both VFC and G&G guns fairly hard in terms of power and rate of fire:

If these guns were design-model-identical, then I'd tell you the following. If you care about the externals and nothing else, go for the VFC. If you care about the internals, the G&G gearbox shell, heat treated gears and oftentimes the motor (assuming it is a neo motor) are superior to the equivalent VFC parts. VFCs come with a very weak clear piston (any gearbox nerds in here can see an ASM thread about this exact issue in Standard Tech as we speak), very weak tappet plate spring that severely impacts your feeding and compression when using mags with stronger springs like the PTS PMAGs, often come with weak ferrite motors, and last but not least, have annoying "self-shimming gears" which are noisy and difficult to shim (usually they end up in the spare parts bin and stay there). In addition, all the recent version 2 G&G gearboxes I've seen come with radiused cylinder windows and are impeccably clean to boot.

So setting aside externals, it's definitely not a garbage brand.

Now you know

Old December 28th, 2012, 15:53   #6
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
AS92, you obviously haven't seen the G&G Toptech line or browsed my store. There are some very high quality G&G guns for very good prices. Unfortunately G&G's name have been a little tainted because all the previous offerings in Canada were their cheaper lines with clear lower receivers being sold at premium prices.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 15:55   #7
wb_1971

Well ive been looking at reviews and videos and wih all the imput im getting here im sure I'll eventually come to theright for me decision....with thay said the g&g at the place where I am going is a mere $18 more, now I guess I have to look at the mid and low cap mags....will vfc mags function properly in a g&g or would/should I stick with g&g mags if I go that way?
wb_1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 16:00   #8
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Technically all M4/M16 models of any brand should work with and AR mag. The reality is sometimes guns don't like certain mags. Even if its the same brand thy doesn't guarantee they will work well, I've seen that before.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 16:11   #9
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
AS92, you obviously haven't seen the G&G Toptech line or browsed my store. There are some very high quality G&G guns for very good prices.
Seconded, the TopTech line has exquisite internals and cleanliness.

edit: In particular in my opinion the TopTech MP5 that Styrak is selling is an absolute steal. Love these things.

Now you know

Old December 29th, 2012, 02:48   #10
AS92-RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
AS92, you obviously haven't seen the G&G Toptech line or browsed my store. There are some very high quality G&G guns for very good prices. Unfortunately G&G's name have been a little tainted because all the previous offerings in Canada were their cheaper lines with clear lower receivers being sold at premium prices.
I have seen your store, but you don't quite have what I'm looking for or I would buy from you :/, I've been trying to hunt down a G&P LMT MRP (Long barrel version) and they are nowhere to be seen. So unless you have one of those laying around then I will have to keep hunting.

On topic:

I haven't dealt with the toptech line but having two G&Gs go south on me was enough for me to label them garbage, one did have a plastic lower granted but the other one was a MAX and was supposed to be much higher quality. The externals on it were fairly disappointing too (M14 socom). Of course he is just asking about personal experiences, and I have only dealt with the one retailer and classifieds.

Last edited by AS92-RD; December 29th, 2012 at 03:09..
Old December 29th, 2012, 03:30   #11
OM3GA

I would go for the VFC only because it is based on the M4/AR platform so external modification would be easier if that is even something important to you. I agree that the VFC wins slightly in the external category but the G&G is no slouch either.

I actually think G&G's are pretty nice and usually I am super picky about both externals and internals. Really the G&G's don't deserve the hate they get especially now that the whole clear body thing and jacked up prices is out of the picture. They also have slightly better internals too. All in all I think both guns are a great choice for a starter gun, it really all comes down to exactly what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS92-RD View Post
*snip I've been trying to hunt down a G&P LMT MRP (Long barrel version) and they are nowhere to be seen. So unless you have one of those laying around then I will have to keep hunting.
There is a retailer that carries the G&P LMT MRP Long, It's not in stock at the moment but I'm sure they will get more.

Durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis.
OM3GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:27   #12
AS92-RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3GA View Post
There is a retailer that carries the G&P LMT MRP Long, It's not in stock at the moment but I'm sure they will get more.
I've messaged every retailer that has them on their site and they either have no plans to stock them in the near future, or have no ETAs at all. I've resorted to looking overseas, which sucks.
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:41   #13
OM3GA

Quote:
I've messaged every retailer that has them on their site and they either have no plans to stock them in the near future, or have no ETAs at all. I've resorted to looking overseas, which sucks.
Well that sucks, I hope your persistence pays off and you get what you want.

Durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis.
OM3GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 18:31   #14
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Did you hit up Toronto Airsoft, Airsoft Depot and Milsim Airsoft?
Those are the only spots that have/had them AFAIK.

TA and Airsoft Depot split G&P shipments so whatever TA has, Airsoft Depot has. And the shipments arrive at the same time.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 02:15   #15
AS92-RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Did you hit up Toronto Airsoft, Airsoft Depot and Milsim Airsoft?
Those are the only spots that have/had them AFAIK.

TA and Airsoft Depot split G&P shipments so whatever TA has, Airsoft Depot has. And the shipments arrive at the same time.
I did, But they are out of stock there too. I tried everywhere. I've probably tried every retailer this side of the pacific. No body had them in stock. It surprised me but it must be a relatively rare gun.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion