Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

KJW KP-07 (1911) mag leak

:

Doctor's Corner

Old August 2nd, 2012, 21:53   #1
Heimdall

KJW KP-07 (1911) mag leak

I recently bought a virtually new (used strictly for wall-hanging and backyard plinking) KJW 1911 with the original mag. We dry-fired a few times before I bought and it worked flawlessly. I'm new to GBB so I bought a few things:

Propane (obviously)
Mad Bull New Propane Adaptor w/Silicone Reservoir
AI Lightweight Pure Silicone Oil 1.5wt

Before refilling the mag, I oiled the tank both on the main valve and the silicone reservoir as well as the mag. Immediately it began to leak.

As I said, I'm new to GBB so should I remove the base plate and check out the seal internally? What could be wrong? Did I fill it incorrectly (I was only following GBBP instructions found on ASC)?

Heimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 21:09   #2
Heimdall

I took a look at the o-ring inside and it seems flawless. Can I buy the nozzle by itself?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 22:32   #3
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Other than using a bunch of oil, no you didn't do anything wrong.

Where is it leaking from? I'm assuming from the base (main seal). If so it'll have to be opened up and inspected, and either the main seal replaced or another option is sealing with gasket maker.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:15   #4
Heimdall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Other than using a bunch of oil, no you didn't do anything wrong.

Where is it leaking from? I'm assuming from the base (main seal). If so it'll have to be opened up and inspected, and either the main seal replaced or another option is sealing with gasket maker.
Yeah, Enjoi corrected me in saying that I should only oil the tank on a regular basis and occassionally the gas valve on the top of the mag.

I opened it up and the main seal seems untouched. So I think it's the inner seal under the spring.
Old August 4th, 2012, 14:13   #5
Styrak

What do you mean "inner seal under the spring"?

Old August 4th, 2012, 20:48   #6
Heimdall

I hope this clarifies what I mean. I really do not want to buy an entirely new mag ontop of an extra...

Old August 4th, 2012, 20:57   #7
Adamlxlx

There should be an o-ring in the fill valve, I can see that it is missing. Is it leaking from the valve? Without that tiny ass o ring sometimes the nozzle gets jammed in the open position and will leak. Those metal madbull adaptors are straight crap. They are way to rough on the valves. Used to have one and it fucked up all of the my valves, got the AI plastic one and it works WAY better.
Adamlxlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 22:01   #8
Styrak

I told you that it's probably leaking from the main seal. That is not the main seal.
You need to take the base off. That or try tightening the screw and see if that fixes it.

Old August 4th, 2012, 22:15   #9
Heimdall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
I told you that it's probably leaking from the main seal. That is not the main seal.
You need to take the base off. That or try tightening the screw and see if that fixes it.
That is the main seal because it comes from the base... I'm wondering how a small o-ring can even rest on the nozzle (top-side; facing out from the bottom of the mag) when it's completely exposed. I'm looking at friends 1911 mag and his looks 100% to mine inside and out.

Good to know about the metal ones. Thanks.
Old August 4th, 2012, 22:28   #10
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamlxlx View Post
There should be an o-ring in the fill valve,
no. not all mags have it nor is it required. it just saves a bit of gas when transferring. that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
That is the main seal because it comes from the base... I'm wondering how a small o-ring can even rest on the nozzle (top-side; facing out from the bottom of the mag) when it's completely exposed. I'm looking at friends 1911 mag and his looks 100% to mine inside and out.

Good to know about the metal ones. Thanks.
you removed the fill valve, not the main seal.

once you figure out where it's leaking, if it's the main seal not the fill valve oring, follow my guide: http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=88524

if it's in fact the fill valve oring, just use a dab of gasket maker on the threads and screw it back in. don't over tighten or you will strip the threads on the mag and or break the fill valve.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 22:30   #11
Styrak

Quote:
That is the main seal because it comes from the base...
No, it's not. That's the fill valve.
Please listen to people when they give you advice, they usually know what they're talking about.

Old August 4th, 2012, 22:34   #12
coach
aka coachster

Didn't look at the pictures too closely and didn't realize it's a single stack. reinsert the fill valve and just tighten that hex screw. I've have never needed to seal single stacks since that the typical fix for a leak out of the floor plate.

This is from a different type of mag but the main seal is the squarish black rubber piece I'm peeling back with a screwdriver:

Old August 5th, 2012, 07:51   #13
Adamlxlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
no. not all mags have it nor is it required. it just saves a bit of gas when transferring. that's it.

Hence why I said "sometimes". It has happened to me with KJW mags many times.
Adamlxlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 21:49   #14
Heimdall

As I said, I'm unfamiliar with the autonomy of a gbbp mag; my bad if I mix terms up.

It's leaking from the bottom somewhere. Is there a way to distinguish a leak from the main seal or the fill valve via visible depressurization? Or should I just go a head and try the gasket sealer?

Edit: I also haven't posted pics of the main seal because it looks completely fine: no dents, no fractures, and free of debris.
Old August 5th, 2012, 22:29   #15
coach
aka coachster

Quote:

Edit: I also haven't posted pics of the main seal because it looks completely fine: no dents, no fractures, and free of debris.
it doesn't have to show signs of damage or wear to leak. Just tighten the hex screw up and try again.

I've done over 50 pistol mags now and many of them leaked through the main seal and they look perfectly fine. The single stacks typically get away with just a tightening. Worst case is a silicone bath and that's it.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner