Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Gear making and selling.

:

Gear Discussion

Old April 30th, 2012, 19:37   #1
Neko

Question Gear making and selling.

Hey Everyone, I've recently begun making tactical gear, and I have a bit of a dilemma. Because I am making gear to be sold, I can't sell in the classifieds because it is considered retailing, but I'm not a registered business yet, so I don't think I can become a retailer on the forum.
I'm wondering what I should do, and who I should contact here.
I hope I'm not violating any rules, and that I'm posting in the right section.
Old April 30th, 2012, 19:44   #2
Dustin_d

Send a message via MSN to Dustin_d
why couldnt you sell in the Buy/Sell Gear section ?
(you have to be age verified to see it though )
Dustin_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 19:50   #3
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin_d View Post
why couldnt you sell in the Buy/Sell Gear section ?
(you have to be age verified to see it though )
The classifieds rules prohibit it

"10) Retailing - the distribution/resale of new items is limited to Retailers only and is not allowed in the classifieds: please refer to our supporting retailer program for more information. This includes services, promoting businesses (advertising) and self-produced goods. "

Because I have made this myself, and intend to make more that are improved, and made-to-order. I can't just sell it in the classifieds
Old April 30th, 2012, 19:56   #4
Conker

Start by making a thread about the gear you did yourself and showcase your skills and a blog. We'll start from there

Last edited by Conker; April 30th, 2012 at 19:58..
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 19:56   #5
lupo

Local clubs/teams may not have the same restrictions. Its obviously more forums to deal with but it should work for what you want to do.
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 20:41   #6
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
The classifieds rules prohibit it

"10) Retailing - the distribution/resale of new items is limited to Retailers only and is not allowed in the classifieds: please refer to our supporting retailer program for more information. This includes services, promoting businesses (advertising) and self-produced goods. "

Because I have made this myself, and intend to make more that are improved, and made-to-order. I can't just sell it in the classifieds
Grey area, I've posted a few knives up for sale (I'm more a service type hobby, as well as retail when I can get unburied from orders and work ahead of the groove, unfortunately that rarely happens) in the classified under Gear, and no issues.

Anyways, seems most airsofters want to talk about buying a knife, but in the end, they will be happy with a tactical peice of wood with a Kydex sheath to attach to their gear to make their look complete.

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; May 8th, 2012 at 21:29..
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 20:41   #7
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
Start by making a thread about the gear you did yourself and showcase your skills and a blog. We'll start from there
Well, to avoid cluttering the forum with another new thread, I'll post a few pictures here.

This is a single extended Glock Magazine pouch. This is a first version, I will be making an improved version when I get back tomorrow.

*EDIT* Thanks for the tip Stalker, But I still want to be sure. It would be nice to be able to sell in the classifieds.

Last edited by Neko; April 30th, 2012 at 20:45..
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 20:48   #8
Slow
Loves Furries

Talk directly to Bean. He is incharge of the retailers.

If ASC were real life, there would be no Chuck Norris, only CDN_Stalker

MANITOBA IVAN
Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 21:01   #9
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Well, to avoid cluttering the forum with another new thread, I'll post a few pictures here.

This is a single extended Glock Magazine pouch. This is a first version, I will be making an improved version when I get back tomorrow.

*EDIT* Thanks for the tip Stalker, But I still want to be sure. It would be nice to be able to sell in the classifieds.
No problem, like I said, it's a grey area. If it's something you made and want to sell as a one off, it's allowed. If it's something you build up a stock of, then it's leaning closer to being a retailer. I think that's how I got given it, mine is a totally fucked up thing, but it works for me.

BTW, look into making Kydex stuff, well worth your while if you are making cordura mag pouches.
Old April 30th, 2012, 21:08   #10
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
No problem, like I said, it's a grey area. If it's something you made and want to sell as a one off, it's allowed. If it's something you build up a stock of, then it's leaning closer to being a retailer. I think that's how I got given it, mine is a totally fucked up thing, but it works for me.

BTW, look into making Kydex stuff, well worth your while if you are making cordura mag pouches.

Thanks again. This one in particular will be a one off, as the next one will be different, and I plan on doing this as a made-to-order for now unless interest builds up, then I may start keeping stock.

As for Kydex, I am in the works to partner up with someone that has more experience with it to make knife sheaths, so I'll see if he's interested in that.
Old April 30th, 2012, 21:21   #11
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Knida meant mag pouches, etc, but really, there is a learning curve, but minimal tools and experience will work out for you, and a kydex Glock mag pouch will take you a fraction of the time a cordura one does, with maybe the same amount of cash spent (maybe less).

Just a thought, all my knife sheaths the first year were leather, til I came up with a design (Scout with cord wrapped handle), that demanded Kydex. Since then, Kydex is way easier to work with, just need a basic press, a heat gun, material, eyelets, drill, ruler and a utility knife. Past that, nothing much at all.
Old April 30th, 2012, 21:29   #12
Neko

I reaize you meant mag pouches, I was thinking of Kydex inserts for the pouches.
I personally wouldn't be abe to do much, as I have no mags to use as a template for Kydex. Sewing is easier for me. So long as I have dimensions, I can make a pouch.
Old April 30th, 2012, 22:16   #13
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Any M4 mag would be a great place to start. We M4 users are tacticool whores!
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 23:16   #14
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

What sort of colours and camo patterns would you be offering?
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 23:32   #15
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzie View Post
What sort of colours and camo patterns would you be offering?
Unfortunately, at the moment I only have Black on hand, I can order Olive, Pine, Dark Brown, and woodland from my Canadian supplier, all of them 1000D (there are some, less than camoflage colours as well, but I doubt there would be much interest.). As more items sell, and I see the interest, I will start ordering patterns from the states.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion