Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Picking a radio

:

Gear Discussion

Old March 28th, 2012, 14:00   #1
MrJangles

Picking a radio

Hello,

I'm completely new to airsoft. I was a paintball ref at paintball city back in the day and was always interested in the airsoft groups, how could you not with all of that gear?

Anyway, I've got everything I need to get on the field, minus a radio. What would you recommend for someone like myself?

Thanks!
MrJangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 14:03   #2
Danke

Find out what the other players in your area are running with first. Nothing worst than having a radio that doesn't run on the same frequency.

Then take a look at techseller's site on here. Once you have the radio picked out you'll probably want some sort of headset to plug into it also.
Old March 28th, 2012, 14:11   #3
MrJangles

Thanks. I already own a headset (single adapter) so I'll need something compatible with that.

I'll hold up for now until I get out to some events (waiting on age verification). I figured there were many options, and not something universal.
MrJangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 14:17   #4
Danke

It usually starts out with the bubble pack GMRS/FRS types. Then the next notch up is a programmable handheld out Asia with some options on what frequencies to make live. Then the last notch will be a dedicated police/fire/military handset used within a team net.
Old March 28th, 2012, 15:35   #5
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Allot of people I play with run the radio frequency Techseller sells. I run PUXING brand radio and am satisfied. It's common enough for general play and is a great little radio.

The motorala 'walkie-talkies' can also be a good option aswell but that more for skirmish style players.

AFAIK Puxing radio's can be programmed to work with those 'walkie-talkies' aswell.

Last edited by Curo; March 28th, 2012 at 15:53..
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 15:40   #6
Viperfish

Puxing PX-888D

http://www.technologydirectcanada.co...duct_info.html

/thread

WOLFPACK WP-32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBR View Post
If you ever go to a milsim and hear a vuvuzela, you are fucked.
Viperfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 15:54   #7
m102404
Tys

Unless you have something specific in mind, a safe bet is the Puxing 888 (Frank = Techseller is a great guy and will help you get sorted out).

Some PX888 notes:

The stock battery is ok...but the extended battery is really quite cheap and will last you an entire weekend. The stock battery is fine for day long stuff. Do Not leave the battery attached to the radio....it'll bleed power and be dead the next time you go to use it.

The stock antenna is fine for most any field around here.

The 888 is able to monitor 2 channels...which is nice. The 777 is the same radio but without that.

Low power is fine...high power tends to blast through anyone too close to you...it does work when the singal strength is lousy though.

It takes Kenwood 2 pin accessories. By far...most of the "stuff" out there does...so don't get tied up into making your 1 pin motorola talkabout stuff work...been there, tried, switched eventually

Beware of some of the clone headsets...you get what you pay for (maybe still not a great value but relatively). The cheapo-cheapo stuff looks the part but dies with the first rainstorm/wires+buttons break/etc.... It's a PITA getting everything sorted out in the first place....just do it once when it comes to radios.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 16:25   #8
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Yea I got the Ztac clone comtacs and PTT, I've had to open them and re-solder some connections. And this was before actually gaming them.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 16:40   #9
5kull

Everyone around here uses the Wouxun KG-UVDP1 because we do a lot of Milsim over large areas. It's top quality and comes with everything you need. If your a serious player and want a radio that offers great quality go for the Wouxun or the Puxing. Stay away from the small Motorola's they are @$#%%. Make an investment that will last you a long time. Here are two links in Canada. I ordered from Technology direct but it's Out of stock at the moment. BentBarrel Airsoft as it in stock. It as the same frequencies as the $%? Motorola + more. It's compatible with Kenwood 2 pin headsets but comes with a good headset in the box.

http://www.technologydirectcanada.co...duct_info.html

http://www.bentbarrelairsoft.com/app...s/show/2847361
5kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 23:29   #10
EagleDriver

Puxing has a new dual band PX-888K. It is just about $5 USD more than the PX-888 and PX-888D but gives you the option of VHF if you need it. The Wouxun KG-UVD1P mentioned above (as well as the KG-UV6D) also are dual band radios.

http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=107188
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 15:58   #11
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleDriver View Post
Puxing has a new dual band PX-888K. It is just about $5 USD more than the PX-888 and PX-888D but gives you the option of VHF if you need it. The Wouxun KG-UVD1P mentioned above (as well as the KG-UV6D) also are dual band radios.

http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=107188
Keep in mind that using VHF is a no go unless you have your amateur radio quals. You can only use the freqs that are used by consumer FRS's, which are UHF.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion