Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Pistol Alternatives

:

Newbie Tank

Old February 7th, 2011, 15:42   #1
MrMoo

Pistol Alternatives

Hey all,

Been wandering the boards for a while, still (after several months) not age verified (my fault, never have time with work), but, I'm working on it! Anyway. I'm browsing and researching in the meantime, and I was hoping to collect some opinions on pistols. From what I've seen, everyone seems to be using M9s, 1911s, and Sig 226s. While these are all great, and I see some really solid looking ones from different manufacturers, I'm looking for something... Different. I suppose I'm just vain, and I'd rather have something unique than functional. But maybe I can have both! Do you out there know of any decent pistols that aren't M9s, 1911s or Sigs? I'd love a CZ-75 or a Browning Hi-Power, but, I've never actually seen one. Any comments or harassment to go get age verified would be appreciated.
MrMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 15:47   #2
Evans

Glocks are pretty popular. Hell, I've got two.

There have been a few CZ-75s/Hi-Powers on the classifieds. Though what I've heard about them tells me that they should be mainly used as wallhangers, since the parts are a bitch to source if anything breaks.
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 15:53   #3
Off_kilter

KSC makes a CZ its there new ns2 system so its quite nice
Old February 7th, 2011, 15:54   #4
theguy

Have you thought about Glocks?

There are certainly more rare models out there, Tanaka makes a browning hi-power, but I don't think its really a skirmish ready pistol, more of a colector piece.

Not sure if your looking into gaming with them, but the most common and practical pistols seem to be variants on Glocks, M9s, Sigs, 1911s, and 2011s.

If you simply want to do research as to what is availibe, check out some of the big Hong Kong based retailers. I like Ehobby Asia and Redwolf Airsoft.

Remember, you can't import a pistol from those sites, but they will at least give you an idea of whats available.

If you find a pistol you like on a hong-kong based website, expect to pay 2 to 3+ times as much for it in canada, depending on its condition and rarity.

Good luck!
Ben

Chinese proverb
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 15:56   #5
coach
aka coachster

Glock carbine.

argh, need to take a better picture

Last edited by coach; February 7th, 2011 at 15:59..
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 15:59   #6
Ross

If you want to be real different, go with a revolver haha. No blow back though.
Old February 7th, 2011, 16:00   #7
L473ncy

I rock the KSC Glock19, it's my workhorse secondary. I would rather have a nice TM though, don't get me wrong KSC/KWA are great pistols but you just can't beat TM quality (or WA.... but then mags get pricey and they're usually made in limited runs).

Other than that you *could* go with a TM Mk.23 SOCOM but the only problem with that is they can be pretty pricey. I've seen them (used) go for between 300-375. Also if you're looking for blow back then the TM SOCOM is an NBB pistol (Non Blow Back) so you don't get that "realism".
Old February 7th, 2011, 16:02   #8
Jimski

I understand your need for the different since I am the same, however after a few thousand bucks disintegrated into 'special pistols' I decided to just stop and use something reliable, like my kp-05.

it's interesting because it makes you evolve from the 'hobby' spirit, where standing out possibly makes sense, to a more 'combat-oriented' spirit, in which whatever you find will be used as long as it gets you the kills, and doesnt' break every two games - no matter how it looks
Old February 7th, 2011, 16:13   #9
MrMoo

Thanks for all the great input, guys. I browsed around Red Wolf a bit to see what was out there, and I agree, the KSC CZ-75 and WE Browning Hi-Power look fantastic. But, I also agree that even if they were reliable and not collectors guns, it would be difficult to find parts and magazines for them. Expensive, too.

I'd like something metal, with blowback, and given that I'd ideally like to do a lot of gaming, I suppose I had better go with something reliable and cheap(er) to maintain and get parts/accessories for. Glocks do seem like a good alternative (Also, Glock Carbine = awesome), so I'll take a look at some. Failing that, I could live with a good Sig, though I find most of the standard 226s are too... Short. I want something bigger (har har, compensating much). I think the 226 X-Five is longer? I saw one from KJW, but I don't know if it's any good.
MrMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 16:16   #10
Danke

When you want a different pistol you'll have to think about what you want to do with it. If it's just for looking at then things are wide open. Canadian Hi-Powers, CZ-75s, USP Tacticals, Lugers, Five seveNs, Glocks, are choices just to name a few.

If you want to use it in a game then you'll need a couple other things. First is a holster, if you get something like a broomhandle Mauser you could be really having a hard time hanging it off yourself. Second is spare magazines; at least one and some people will carry 4+. If you can't re-load you'll find your pistol experience to be pretty naff.

Then after the holster and mags you can think about stuff like internal upgrades or what have you. There's a great "post your pistol" thread here you can read over and get some ideas of what's' out there.

Seeing your other post up there just now I'd say a 226 is pretty big. Something bigger, reliable and easy to find would be a KWA USP Tactical.
Old February 7th, 2011, 16:18   #11
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
I rock the KSC Glock19, it's my workhorse secondary. I would rather have a nice TM though, don't get me wrong KSC/KWA are great pistols but you just can't beat TM quality (or WA.... but then mags get pricey and they're usually made in limited runs).

Other than that you *could* go with a TM Mk.23 SOCOM but the only problem with that is they can be pretty pricey. I've seen them (used) go for between 300-375. Also if you're looking for blow back then the TM SOCOM is an NBB pistol (Non Blow Back) so you don't get that "realism".
the TM MK23 is a stealthy hand cannon. If you want blow back, get the KSC heavy weight.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 16:23   #12
Donster

a KSC USP might be a good alternative for you. PM if you're interested in that gun.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 16:24   #13
Debrief
a.k.a. HKpro

The KSC USP is great alternative as well; metal and nylon fibre build, ample parts, and killer looks.

You will find that the availability of magazines becomes a huge factor in picking your sidearm.
Debrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 16:31   #14
sarosh

you dont see many FN 5-7's
sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 16:34   #15
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarosh View Post
you dont see many FN 5-7's
I have one,
Just make sure to use 134a for games above 24C