SOCOM Gear

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old May 16th, 2010, 16:41   #1
GBear

Send a message via MSN to GBear
SOCOM Gear

Hello,

I am curious about the quality of SOCOM Gear GBBPs. From the videos and a few reviews that I have read, it looks to be a re-branded company of WE. Currently, I am looking into the M9, however, not sure if the quality is that great. And yes, I know I should get a Hi Capas because of the readily available parts and the robustness of the platform, however, I have never been the one to get the common gun.

I do greatly appreciate the help that everyone has provided to get me here thus far.

Thank you for your time and please hold your response if it is not useful. They clutter the thread.

Your friend,

GBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayce View Post
I wish I could upload a few gameplay videos of me on Alliance of Valiant Arms for you guys to compare to.

I am not familiar with airsoft.

What my question is, does the element of surprise work on a typical airsoft match?
GBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 16:57   #2
Conker

I wouldn't call the M9 "unusual", but whatever.

Yes, all Socom Gear pistols are WE rebrands. The quality is the same, however they usually include a bonus (like a threaded barrel, a silencer, a retention sling, etc...).
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 17:03   #3
GBear

Well, that's not what I mean. I'm saying common as in the M4 is to AEGs as something like the Hi Capa or Glock is to GBBP. That's just the way it seems to me though.

Quote:
I wish I could upload a few gameplay videos of me on Alliance of Valiant Arms for you guys to compare to.

What my question is, does the element of surprise work on a typical airsoft match?
Old May 16th, 2010, 17:07   #4
sushicake

WE Hi-capa's suck, visually they look fine but the stock slide is so heavy the gun has a hard time fully cycling on propane but works fine on Co2
Old May 16th, 2010, 18:29   #5
juicy

I haven't seen any reviews on the Socom Gear M9 as of yet - well, correction... I have not seen any RELIABLE reviews on the Socom Gear M9. Most of the reviews I've seen are just uninformed kids or USA retailers trying to show off or sell their products. Given the track record of WE GBB pistols, I would have to err on the side of caution when looking into buying a Socom Gear M9. However, you could get one and write up a nice, informed, and helpful review on it! I'm sure many people would appreciate that, lol.
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 00:05   #6
GBear

What really intrigues me is the tan and black dual tone coloration. From what it looks like, there aren't many M9s out there with these colors.

Quote:

Old May 17th, 2010, 00:24   #7
Gunny_McSmith
a.k.a. Palucol

haha... dunno about the Socom Gear M9, but on the Socom Gear MEU I had, the paint was really cheap, and chipped off really easily...
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:31   #8
Cheeseman

WE GBB handguns are a hit or miss. I've owned 3 different WE GBB handguns and I've only had issues with one of them. Anyhow, hers my M9A1/Zombie with a WE/Socom Gear frame and KJW slide:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny_McSmith View Post
haha... dunno about the Socom Gear M9, but on the Socom Gear MEU I had, the paint was really cheap, and chipped off really easily...
I agree. The paint does chip off easily.

Last edited by Cheeseman; May 17th, 2010 at 01:34..
Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:28   #9
OscarMike

Hi Guys

I have the Socom Gear M9 SOF edition with the Gemtech supressor. I also have a WE 1911 that I just bought to replace an old one that I am using for parts. In comparison the We 1911 is wobly while the m9 is sturdy. The 1911 has more bits to it thats for sure.
My M9 has not had any upgrades but the blowback is considerably stronger (heavy slide)

I havent had any problems or struggle with cycling on green gas as of yet but i will take note.

I havent had any problems with the paint chipping but I try to keep the slide and holster oiled at contact points but I will take note of this as well. I was a little concerned at first with the threaded barrel it is a seperate peice held on by (i don't know glue?) But as it turns out I don't really like the surpressor on my pistol anyway so if it goes it goes.

Before you drop 290 300 on this pistol check out the full metal black GBB Taurus. Its great gun I got it a few weeks ago in London at Forest City Surplus $189

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=327901
OscarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:02   #10
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarMike View Post
Hi Guys

I have the Socom Gear M9 SOF edition with the Gemtech supressor. I also have a WE 1911 that I just bought to replace an old one that I am using for parts. In comparison the We 1911 is wobly while the m9 is sturdy. The 1911 has more bits to it thats for sure.
My M9 has not had any upgrades but the blowback is considerably stronger (heavy slide)

I havent had any problems or struggle with cycling on green gas as of yet but i will take note.

I havent had any problems with the paint chipping but I try to keep the slide and holster oiled at contact points but I will take note of this as well. I was a little concerned at first with the threaded barrel it is a seperate peice held on by (i don't know glue?) But as it turns out I don't really like the surpressor on my pistol anyway so if it goes it goes.

Before you drop 290 300 on this pistol check out the full metal black GBB Taurus. Its great gun I got it a few weeks ago in London at Forest City Surplus $189

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=327901
Hmm, interesting. I'm glad to hear that WE is really stepping it up on the M9. Solid-ness is most definitely a step in the right direction, IMO. To OscarMike: the paint pulling-a-disappearing-act would occur on any pot metal parts (likely your controls - trigger, mag catch, disassembly lever, safety levers, slide stop. Next would be a few chips that start along the edges of your slide, and these would continually grow. I say you need to field your M9 more!

Just a note, the Taurus is NOT a WE. It is a branded (Cybergun, I think... something like that) KJW. In the end, a clone is still a clone, but from what OscarMike has stated about his M9 (I'm hoping he's talking from personal experience of the WE 1911, as compared to his new M9A1), it could very well be that the WE is the best choice?

Yup... sort of a useless post. I just wanted to say that the Taurus isn't a WE... yeah... uhh... huh...
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:09   #11
OscarMike

Juicy: I probably should feild it more and yes, your right it is a cybergun/kjw but its becoming my fast fav.

Would I recommend the Socom Gear M9? Yes based on my experience. The looks the surpressor the sturdyness, the availability of parts/upgrades. Even with a few paint chips perhaps the "used" patina will add character to the gun

A couple of more things...

I would also recommend a safariland molded holster or a perhaps a tornado. The larger trigger gaurd and the rail make it a tight fit in a serpa. (I use a tornado drop leg) and a shoulder holster.

hope this helped
OscarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 21:37   #12
GBear

Well, how does this SOCOM Gear M9 go up against the KSC M9 System 7. I've heard some good things about it.

Quote:

Old May 17th, 2010, 21:56   #13
Disco_Dante

KSC System 7 is infinitely better. I owned the KWA version, but my understanding is that they're the same. Great pistols.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 22:32   #14
juicy

You can't compare the two, lol. Two entirely different gas systems, with little to no cross compatibility... yeah. Both have their pluses and minuses.
Old May 17th, 2010, 22:44   #15
GBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy View Post
You can't compare the two, lol. Two entirely different gas systems, with little to no cross compatibility... yeah. Both have their pluses and minuses.
Can you give me some of the pros and cons of each system? Thanks.

Quote:

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion