Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Dboys metal body: charge handle / mag probs?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old October 2nd, 2008, 02:18   #1
panda86

Dboys metal body: charge handle / mag probs?

*I tried searching for answers, but I couldn't find the solutions, so...

I already know Dboys bodies seem to have dubious quality control. I just got one for kicks and wasn't expecting anything to be perfect by any means. I thought it would be fun to put together some spare parts I already had and build it into a complete M4 as a secondary AEG. (I'm working on my primary AEG right now with a higher quality body)

Finally got everything working (front wired TM M4 gearbox, CA CQB compact front, G&P one piece hop up) needed to remove the "wire shield" for the front wiring and grind down a sharp point inside the upper, but for the most part, everything fits.

But the charge handle seems to be really inconsistent in opening the port cover. Sometimes it catches the port release, sometimes it doesn't.
Does anyone know if swapping the charge handle out for a KA one would help?

Secondly, my MAG branded M4 plastic midcaps more or less "fit", but it requires a little wiggling and tweaking the mag to the left to get the mag release (using a TM mag release since the Dboys one was not up to par) to catch. I tried a genuine TM mag and it's the same. I'm guessing it's a slight misalignment of the hop up / mag. Is there anything I can do to improve this?

Any help would be great. Thanks.
panda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 02:20   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Do you mean the mags are too tight? You may have to dremel/sand out the sides of the magwell.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 02:26   #3
panda86

No, the mag itself fits fine. I think it's something alignment wise with the feed hole on the mag or the mag release (which I've already upgraded).
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:51   #4
Muffin

It could be that you've installed the arm that comes in contact with the dummy bolt incorrectly. I've made that mistake before too when reconstructing a receiver.
Check your upper and make sure that the arm is in contact with the tabs of the bolt.
Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:59   #5
Skladfin

ya, the charging handle is like that on all Dboys metal bodies I had.

you have tilt it alittle to the left with your hand when you pull it, and pull it really fast and release it right away. Try that
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:10   #6
m102404
Tys

Charging handle mis-alignment is unfortunately the norm on a lot of builds...if you get really annoyed with that, you can consider reversing the dust cover spring and removing the little nub in the dust cover latch, such that the cover stays closed normally and you open it with your finger nail. I did that on my M4's...actually not because of the catch not working, but more so because the charging handle seemed to get caught up on my gear and the dust cover was always popping open or snagging (the handle, not the cover).

For the mag issue...it sounds like the head of the catch isn't protruding enough into the magwell. Nothing to fix on the body. I'd probably try to bend/curve the arm of the mag catch (not the round end...the flat arm) so that the head/catch sticks into the magwell opening a bit more. I'd definitely check that the area around the mag catch is actually big enough for the mag catch (i.e. too much paint, crud, too small). I've had to "clean out" a few bodies as some catches are snug. Either file the contour of the catch or take a close look at the fit with the recess in the body.

The mag brand is plastic...so no adjustments to make there. With metal mags you can "pry/bend" out the side of the mag. Just a hair and just at the mag catch notch so it catches better.

Best of luck,

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:12   #7
Fly 9

Send a message via MSN to Fly 9
The charge handle on mine is broken. The spring for the little catch came off and now I have wonky charge handle. I was thinking of changing over to my spare TM one.

I've heard that Dboys have problems with just about every mag out there and small mods will have to be done to make it right. I haven't gotten around to finalising my set up but a buddy of mine has one and he said that its ideal to use the Dboys mag catch as opposed to your previous one.
I only say this because the Dboys catch is a pain in the ass to install as it screws into itself as opposed to using a screw to keep it together like the TM one. Using the Dboys catch will make the mags lock in a lot better but you may still have some actual fitting problems. (ie wobble, too tight etc.)
Old October 2nd, 2008, 14:09   #8
panda86

I'll give all these tips a try. Thanks guys
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:05   #9
panda86

I was trying some fixes out tonight and I think I might have figured out the "mag alignment issue", but would like anyone's feedback / diagnosis.

The gearbox is a TM stock mechbox, but it was front wired for the TM RIS. I had to remove the thin "wire shield" that keeps the wire in place. It was too tight of a fit to allow the upper receiver to slide onto the bottom receiver.

It seems since the wire was hanging "loose", I am guessing it was rubbing against the mag catch (causing the mag to not fully lock).

The front wire also needs to tuck under / to the left of the one piece hop up unit, I am also guessing that since it's a tight squeeze, it's pushing the hop up opening off to one slight SLIGHTLY, thus not aligning consistently witht he BB port on the mag.

Anyone found this happened in their case? Will simply re-wiring for a "rear wired" configuration fix this?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 21:28   #10
dragon56

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda86 View Post
I was trying some fixes out tonight and I think I might have figured out the "mag alignment issue", but would like anyone's feedback / diagnosis.

The gearbox is a TM stock mechbox, but it was front wired for the TM RIS. I had to remove the thin "wire shield" that keeps the wire in place. It was too tight of a fit to allow the upper receiver to slide onto the bottom receiver.

It seems since the wire was hanging "loose", I am guessing it was rubbing against the mag catch (causing the mag to not fully lock).

The front wire also needs to tuck under / to the left of the one piece hop up unit, I am also guessing that since it's a tight squeeze, it's pushing the hop up opening off to one slight SLIGHTLY, thus not aligning consistently witht he BB port on the mag.

Anyone found this happened in their case? Will simply re-wiring for a "rear wired" configuration fix this?

Having same problems ,also switch to full auto is stiff when everthing is assembled. Had gun together and apart 4 times now. Oh well get the dremel.
dragon56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 01:44   #11
panda86

Is yours front wired as well? I think that might be the issue. I haven't taken in apart yet, but I'm guessing it will be smooth rear wired.

I think Skladfin mentioned somewhere on ASC that the Dboys fire selector switch is a bit thick, and may need to be dremelled. Not sure if it can be swapped out? Mines a little stiff but works.

Obviously, Dboys is imperfect and somewhat expected for the price. I knew this going in.
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:03   #12
Skladfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda86 View Post
I think Skladfin mentioned somewhere on ASC that the Dboys fire selector switch is a bit thick, and may need to be dremelled. Not sure if it can be swapped out? Mines a little stiff but works.

Obviously, Dboys is imperfect and somewhat expected for the price. I knew this going in.
yup its thick.

sand down the disk about 3mm, you don't need to take it out, just sand it down, you should be able to reach down there if the lower receiver is isolated.
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications