Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

PSG-1 aluminum piston?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old March 31st, 2008, 01:55   #1
Gigaknight

PSG-1 aluminum piston?

A quick question about the PSG-1.
I'm thinking of buying a PSG-1 in the future, after I have enough experience with gearboxes (I've heard that the version 4 is one of the hardest gearboxes to upgrade). I would want to upgrade it to its maximum potential.*Field legal*

Anyway, I was looking at the Systema FTK and was wondering if an aluminum piston would be any good. Yes, it will last longer than a polycarbonate one but it will put a lot of stress on the gearbox. (I know v4 gearboxes are supposed to be much stronger than v2's but how much stronger are they. After all, those gearboxes are hard to come across.)

In short, should I get a polycarb piston as not to put too much stress on the gearbox?

I want to get the following:
- G&G magnesium receiver
- Systema FTK
Gigaknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 14:24   #2
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

The FTK comes with an aluminum piston.

I've successfully installed the FTK with 12v batteries and 550fps springs in to PSG-1's before without breakage.

The silent head set the FTK comes with should take off a significant portion of the impact.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:17   #3
Gigaknight

550fps?! Is that even field legal, heh heh.
Thanks for the info, but the FTK comes with bore-up kit AND a silent head set?
Gigaknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:25   #4
The Acer

Send a message via MSN to The Acer
the one from uncompany.com
http://www.uncompany.com/pageproduct...sp?prodid=8781
it doesnt come with silent piston head, but it comes with everything else ull need
The Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:33   #5
Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acer View Post
it doesnt come with silent piston head, but it comes with everything else ull need
Yes it does.. look at the piston head in the package...

That's a silent piston head.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:00   #6
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigaknight View Post
550fps?! Is that even field legal, heh heh.
Thanks for the info, but the FTK comes with bore-up kit AND a silent head set?
It's a bore up set - All Systema bore up sets use a bore-up silent head set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acer View Post
Again, yes, it does come with the silent piston head, although it is bore-up size. It's not a standard silent head set.
Old April 8th, 2008, 17:05   #7
DSFD506

Send a message via AIM to DSFD506
Illusion, was the kit you installed the 300 or 400% kit for the 550fps set up ?
DSFD506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 00:00   #8
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

I wasn't aware there was more than one kit for the PSG-1.

All of the PSG-1 kits I've installed have been Systema FTK12, which contains the 300% spring.

Correct me if I'm misinformed with an official link.

Official reference:
http://www.systema-engineering.com/E...eproducts.html
Follow: "FTK > PSG-1"
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:43   #9
Apoc_
Eagle Eye

G'day,

I bought a FTK last month, and it came with what can best be described as a 500% spring. Took two guys to compress it enough to fit into the mechbox. Nothing could pull it and it did terrible things to batteries. I've got a 200% spring in there now and all is well (if a little over the FPS limits here...).

Moral is to always plan for spring inconsistencies as it seems SystemA has dropped quality control in favour of PTW development.

APOCALYPSE - TEAM HELLFISH
Apoc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 02:13   #10
DSFD506

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
I wasn't aware there was more than one kit for the PSG-1.

All of the PSG-1 kits I've installed have been Systema FTK12, which contains the 300% spring.

Correct me if I'm misinformed with an official link.

Official reference:
http://www.systema-engineering.com/E...eproducts.html
Follow: "FTK > PSG-1"
Last year systema released the 400% kit. Same as the 300 but with a 400% spring.
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...l?prodID=22866
Old April 9th, 2008, 13:22   #11
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Interesting that it came with the Magnum motor. I had installed a Magnum motor on one of my client's guns that I installed the FTK into, but the neodymium magnets on the thing are so powerful, that it is impossible to get the spring to release at the end of your shooting session. It literally held the spring cocked, even with the anti-reversal latch disengaged!

The only way to disengage the spring was to unscrew the pistol grip base at the end of each shooting session and literally let the motor "pop" off the gears, and thus, allowing the spring to release. Real PITA...

Who knows, maybe the 400% spring is strong enough to reverse the Magnum's drive shaft...
Old April 9th, 2008, 14:40   #12
Caped_crusadar

Send a message via AIM to Caped_crusadar
Quote:
the neodymium magnets on the thing are so powerful, that it is impossible to get the spring to release at the end of your shooting session. It literally held the spring cocked, even with the anti-reversal latch disengaged!

The only way to disengage the spring was to unscrew the pistol grip base at the end of each shooting session and literally let the motor "pop" off the gears, and thus, allowing the spring to release. Real PITA...

Who knows, maybe the 400% spring is strong enough to reverse the Magnum's drive shaft...
couldn't you just shoot semi? that leaves the piston in the forward position.
Caped_crusadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 14:44   #13
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

We're talking about PSG-1's here. Not standard AEGs.

The function is opposite, where the piston stays cocked in the off cycle. It allows for instantaneous shots on trigger pull. The wind up cycle occurs after the piston is released.

This is why PSG-1 upgrades require so much torque - being able to crank an already cocked spring from a resting position requires way more current and torque than normal functioning AEGs do.
Old April 9th, 2008, 15:14   #14
DSFD506

Quote:
Interesting that it came with the Magnum motor. I had installed a Magnum motor on one of my client's guns that I installed the FTK into, but the neodymium magnets on the thing are so powerful, that it is impossible to get the spring to release at the end of your shooting session. It literally held the spring cocked, even with the anti-reversal latch disengaged!

The thing i'm worried about is how long that box will hold up with that 400% spring. I know that mechbox is pretty hard to find. What do you think they FPS would be on the 400 ? Probably would need a 12v or would a Lipo battery be enuff ?
Old April 9th, 2008, 15:55   #15
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say velocity will be 650fps.

Even with the 300% spring, I was powering it with a 12V and Systema Magnum motor. I'm sure the same setup can crank a 400% spring, but you'll definitely have some serious durability issues in the long run.

If you want velocities so high, why not just pick up a Tanaka M700 series bolt action rifle and install the G&G Power bolt? You'll easily hit 800fps with propane, and it'll save you tons of money and headaches.... it will also perform much better. Bolt actions are inherently more accurate and quieter. The only feature you lose is the semi-auto fire.

As a field gun, the PSG-1 is one of the worst guns to do up, due to the wobbly body and the inherent limitations of applying high velocity upgrades to the auto-electric system. I always tell this to all my clients who request to do the upgrade: Unless you REALLY LOVE the PSG-1, it's a lot of wasted money to achieve a goal that you can get elsewhere for better and cheaper. There's a certain coolness factor versus cost benefit ratio that needs to be weighed on the owner's mind.

As cool as I think the PSG-1 system is, I can't honestly see myself ever using that gun as a field gun.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications