Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

A build

:

Doctor's Corner

Old June 11th, 2013, 13:24   #16
Forever_kaos

Look up classic airsoft, they were the original airsoft. So with a P*, you're just wannabe old school

I'm not that versed in Mechbox setups, I can crack one open and do the very minimal if I'm really lucky/got lots of time to kill. Even then I usually let somebody who appreciates the workings fondle it.

I've got mad love for my P*, I would throw one in almost all my guns if I could.

Want high ROF? Simple push of a button, few flips of that button and bam.
Less/More FPS? Pretty damn simple.
Get used to the hose pretty damn quick, hasn't slowed me down.

It's shit simple and reliable. At most, you could break a nozzle as long as you work within the limited PSI range.
~$20 later, and you have a new nozzle, 5 minutes of time and the nozzle is installed.

Last edited by Forever_kaos; June 11th, 2013 at 13:26..
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 13:35   #17
wind_comm

all your issues, and issues presented by others have been addressed on ASM. particularly getting mags to feed at absurd ROFs.

your prommy barrel and r-hop is fine. it should really be the least of your worries. (comparatively)

most people who tackle a DSG project are the techs who want to use it themselves. if you're the kind of person who likes getting thrown into the deep end, this would be one hell of a pool.

it may be totally impractical, but don't let them talk you down lol. =D you can look at a bunch of ASM users' DSGs for inspiration. semi-auto without AB, 100% feeding @ 60+ rps, nearly 400 fps in some cases, things like that.
it can be done. it's definitely not easy, but it can be done.

ps if you're dead set on parting out this build, quite a few of the fellas that have posted would probably be interested.
Old June 11th, 2013, 13:48   #18
m102404
Tys

If you're in the GTA area and can travel...contact KingCobra8888

He almost never posts and is hellishly busy with lots of real life stuff...but he's built more than a few DSG/highspeed/big batt-short stroked guns...and is an excellent builder in general.

If you want to get into the 45+ rps it's doable, but you'll probably go through a lot of cycles where it's working beautifully and then eats itself. You've got to realize that you're putting 2-3-more times the wear and strain on things with these kind of setups with every tigger pull. Be prepared for lots of down time and sunk in money.

Do not run them on small batteries...moreso because you know you won't be able to resist shooting it and will just beat smaller batteries to a premature death.

Once you've got a setup that works you may find that your biggest challenge is finding magazines that can keep up with your setup...and you don't want mis-feeds/hiccups.

You can easily get into the mid-30's rps with "standard" setups and even then it's not practical or player friendly.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 13:59   #19
Forever_kaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozomori View Post
So would you recommend that I part out my current setup to sell and buy a PolarStar v2 Gen3 FE? I know how the FE works I just have no clue how a HPA setup works (regulator and tank etc.)
That's ultimately up to you, but I would suggest one. It is expensive, so is your build most likely (time vs money)

Realize how much it costs, the pro's/cons of lugging and using HPA and go from there.

You'll need a remote line with regulator/stabilizer and an HPA tank.
The line will run you ~$200-300.

You can get one from http://palmer-pursuit.com/cart/air-s...8of9tle27t3db1. or you can contact Flagswipe paintball. Shawn built my rig, couldn't be more happier.
Perhaps contact your local PB shop and see if they can set you up. I went this route in case anything busts or I need wanted to tweak it one way or another, they're right by me.

The tanks can get expensive. I run a 62cu 3000 PSI tank, lasts for a good ~2000+ shots.
I have two just in case. They run for about ~$60 + shipping which wasn't horrible.
You can get a lot bigger and heavier, for more.

Here's my little write up on my P*:
http://ontarioairsoftwwiireenactors....pic.php?t=1747

Youtube was a huge deciding factor for me. I spent a week on there and a bit of Google before purchasing one.

Last edited by Forever_kaos; June 11th, 2013 at 14:06..
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 14:12   #20
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I think it's just most people dont' want to deal with building a dsg gun for someone else. The ones on asm that are owned by people who didn't build them typically buy them off the builder long after they're built or the builder gets tired of it.

It takes a lot of time and effort to get a gun working properly above 30rps, ssg or dsg. You need time and space to test it, and more often than not you need to strip it apart and fix and try and fix an issue and put it back together, rinse and repeat. Even an R-hop install while not hard requires quite a bit of tweaking to get working right.

Quite frankly if I were offering my services as a tech, I would not build DSGs for people, I don't see it worth my time to deal with the constant tweaking to make it worth my while for man hours put in. If you were to hand this off to a builder, what kind of payment are you expecting to give for the hours put in?

It's not a matter of throwing in the parts and calling it done, that's a good way to blow something up. If I were building this gun it would be built as a solid single stroke setup with a DS compatible gearset. Once it's reliable at full stroke, you short stroke, once it's reliable at short stroke, you swap the sector gears. Only introduce 1 or 2 changes at a time so you know what's causing an issue.

Done properly the gun should last just as long as any other ssg setup in terms of round count, but most don't even get to that level.

Last edited by lurkingknight; June 11th, 2013 at 15:18..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 14:38   #21
Azathoth

Quote:
To answer all the questions:
1. I'm using VFC 8mm metal bushings
2. I assumed that an AB mosfet (MERF) would eliminate the double fire issue
3. I probably won't mind strapping a battery to the side of the stock
4. I want 340 FPS because even though it's a DSG, I can use the MERF for RoF control and burst to tone it done when it needs to be and so that I can game indoors and outdoors without cracking open the gearbox for a spring change (this will probably also solve the semi issue). You'd probably say that this pointless since I'm doing a DSG but I don't care, I want this gun to be my pride and joy.
5. Whoever said I was using a VFC motor? I'm using a Lonex A1.
6. I want r-hop to lift heavier BBs outdoors and get as much accuracy as I can out of it as to not be just wildly spraying BBs on full auto.
7. I want a DSG because it's not mainstream, because it's something more unique. Rather than just using a single sector gear, I can go through the MOSFET and give it the RoF I want instead of being limited to a lower amount. Just because it's capable of doing whatever rps doesn't mean that I want it to shoot at the maximum rps all the time. You don't floor the pedal on you car whenever you drive right?
8. ThunderCactus, what parts would you be comfortable will? Most of my parts are Lonex and Prometheus with the worst part being the G&P piston head or the SHS tappet probably.
9. Steve, does that mean that it would be possible for you to work on my gun come August?

It seems that some people didn't actually properly read my parts list and all others are just telling me to get a big battery. If it comes down to it, I will probably get a huge battery and strap it to the right side of my stock (which I probably will).
My apologies I didnt see the Lonex Motor.

I have built somewhere between 15 and two dozen DSGs on different platforms.

I learned that the best route was to take the old gearbox and throw everything into the garbage can, and ground build up when possible .

DSG boxes require "special" maintenance. IE you will probably be taking it apart on a more frequent basis to re-lubricate and replace pistons etc. This means -you- will most likely have to do this job. Which IMHO defeats the purpose of getting a highly skilled tech to build the gun since -you- will have to maintain it (Not that I am bitching at $150.00/hour). For that reason, all of the DSG guns I built for other people are currently wall hangers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 14:57   #22
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
DSG boxes require "special" maintenance. IE you will probably be taking it apart on a more frequent basis to re-lubricate and replace pistons etc. This means -you- will most likely have to do this job. Which IMHO defeats the purpose of getting a highly skilled tech to build the gun since -you- will have to maintain it (Not that I am bitching at $150.00/hour). For that reason, all of the DSG guns I built for other people are currently wall hangers.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's the implied "warranty" that goes along with everything that leaves my bench that concerns me and keeps me from building one up for someone. I don't mind doing it myself because I know exactly what goes into it, what its weak points are, etc. But if I'm building it for someone, I'd want it to leave my bench knowing that it's going to be fabulous and durable.

I can build reliable, 400fps, 25rps setups all day with my eyes closed because I know the parts can take it, but DSG builds are just a huge source of liability.

If you end up finding someone to take on this job, I hope they live closeby.

Last edited by Stealth; June 11th, 2013 at 14:59..
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 15:13   #23
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

People just be hatin on the P*s cause they're so freakin GOOD

And agreed to the last 2 comments, I'd classify the DSG under one of those things that an AEG is capable of, but not recommended.
Like you can get an AEG to shoot like a PTW, but not for as long or as reliably
You can get an AEG to 40RPS, but not nearly as reliably as a P*
You can get an AEG to simulate blowback, but not nearly as reliably as a GBBR

Just because you CAN put a Renault RS27 in a given road car, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
As far as prestige goes, the gun is only cool while its working lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 15:28   #24
Kos-Mos

P*... forgot about this, even if I want to buy one.

Check at Redlineairsoft. They sell "packages" with everything you need ton convert your gun (P*, lines, regulators, bottle, QD fittings etc.) They also custom build guns. Lastly, P* also do custom installs (you have to get the gun to them, and them back... that's the tricky part).
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 15:36   #25
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

lol.. any gun is only cool when it's working.. it's like owning a hotrod that breaks down all the time.
Old June 11th, 2013, 17:21   #26
Azathoth

Quote:
Well I went out and got myself a Duratrax Onyx 11.1v 35C 5000mAh li-po. In the RC store I went to, I met MADDOG who agreed to age verify me. There is someone close by who agreed to work on my gun, he's not on ASC though. In the event that I choose to not go through with this build or after the build is done and I decide that I don't want it anymore, I'll most likely trade it out for a P*.

Good luck! most likely you will not recoup the gun doc time R&D etc that you are going to put into the DSG setup if you are "trading". My first DSG was my personal one and it took well over 5 hours of build time and that was on an easy to work on platform v6 gearbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner