Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Battery Question

:

Newbie Tank

Old March 31st, 2013, 10:21   #1
AlexBisnett

Battery Question

Right now ive got the stock battery that came with my jg m16, its a nicad type 1500mah 8.4v. I charged it about 2 weeks ago and didnt end up playing a game with it. How much charge did it lose from not using it, and should i just charge it for like an hour to top it up?

Also would it be a good idea when i need a new battery to keep buying nicad type or would it be a good upgrade to lipo batterys if my gun could take those. Im not looking for a faster fire rate or anything. Now i was looking at different batterys and i think the 8.4 3000mah would be a good choice?
AlexBisnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 13:45   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
You should probably use NiMH not NiCad, since NiMH don't have any battery memory and you can top them up whenever you want and never have to discharge. NiCad you have you worry about that.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 14:17   #3
Janus

Send a message via ICQ to Janus Send a message via MSN to Janus
LiPo is a whole other can of worms.

NiCd has the bonus of taking the colder weather better than the NiMh but as Styrak said, NiCd has the memory effect. Basically put, discharge the NiCd entirely before you recharge it or you will fuck the cells.
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 15:48   #4
K3vX

7.4 Lipo aren't bad to use, not strong enough to fuck the weapon (maybe the contacts but you still should be fine with 2cell). If you are not specifically looking for higher firerate and trigger response, a NiMh would be easier until you read on LiPo and understand the (small) risks involved with them batteries.

LiPo can be charged and discharged without any memory effect, but going too high or too low will either kill the battery (no more power) or kill the battery again (resulting in a nice little fire). Going below a certain voltage (between 3.1v and 3.5v, depending on who you ask) will damage the capacity of the battery to stock power permanently.

No matter the choice, I'd recommend a smart charger, and get one that can charge all common type of hobby batteries (at least nicd, nimh and lipo), so charging batteries will be easier, and if you change for LiPo later, you can keep the charger.

Last edited by K3vX; March 31st, 2013 at 15:50..
K3vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 17:33   #5
metagod

Don't get Lipo until you truly understand the risks and benefits.

An overcharged lipo can explode.
a lipo left in the sun, or in a vehicle, or anywhere it can heat up can explode violently.

theres a picture floating around somewhere of the damage done to a vehicle that had a lipo explode inside, it literally blew the cab of the vehicle to pieces.

best to do is pick up a NiMH battery, and a smart charger.
metagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 17:45   #6
FreelancerInc

i do believe the newer generation of lipos are more stable from a chemical aspect and are less likely to explode/swell/ect.

last year one of my aegs that ive been having nothing but problems with was being used by a teammate with a 11.1v lipo *the gun was built to handle the battery* and due to wiring issues in the gun the wires short curcuited and the lipo "blew up" in my hands. now before you go crazy all it did when it "blew up" was swell up and "hiss" out gas.

someone WILL post the FAQ on batteries as i don't have it handy.....but for the quick info.

1. don't run a over powered lipo in your gun.

2. you don't HAVE to balance charge your lipo everytime but IMHO you should

3. always use a smart charger on your lipo

4. NEVER over charge or discharge your lipo

these are my OPINIONS so if you have different OPINIONS or FACTS please let them be known
Old March 31st, 2013, 23:47   #7
Ripstop
a.k.a. gbillerty

Hi!

with all that replies, you probably have enough informations to help you choose the good battery.

I would suggest you to go with NIMH batteries for the reasons already posted. And get a good battery charger like this one B3 Charger. You can also get more "Intelligent" charger but the price will get high rapidly.

the 8.4V 3000mAh will add some ROF to you AEG and will get you more capacity and will last longer than a 1600mAh. I forgot to mention that the 3000mAh is bigger in size so check and make sure you have enough room to store it in.
Ripstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 23:51   #8
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

LiPo info, right here
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=99899
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank