Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Hydration Pack

:

Gear Discussion

Old July 14th, 2011, 18:40   #1
jangofett234

Hydration Pack

I just bought a Hydration pack but I am wondering how to dry out the insides so that mold doesent grow.

Thanks
jangofett234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 18:52   #2
Danke

I keep mine full and in the fridge. I wash it as required but after washing I re-fill it.

At the end of the season I give it a wash and then hang it up to dry, I've got a cleaning kit that has a plastic stop that holds the envelope open for air flow.

If you don't want to get the whole kit you can fix up your own drying rack from wire or plastic.
Old July 14th, 2011, 20:54   #3
jangofett234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
At the end of the season I give it a wash and then hang it up to dry, I've got a cleaning kit that has a plastic stop that holds the envelope open for air flow.

If you don't want to get the whole kit you can fix up your own drying rack from wire or plastic.

So after the water is drained, I can just hang it up to dry?
Old July 14th, 2011, 21:00   #4
Darklen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangofett234 View Post
So after the water is drained, I can just hang it up to dry?
That's what I do. Rinse it out (I mix a product called "Squincher" in with my water), drain and hand it upside down like in the shower or on a hook in the bathroom. There'll be a little bit of water left by the fill port, just put in a clean paper towel to soak it out.
Old July 14th, 2011, 21:08   #5
jangofett234

ok thanks
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:51   #6
Chingyul

Another trick is to leave it in the freezer.
I usually do that with it 1/3-1/2 full. When you need it, top it off and you have ice cold water.
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:53   #7
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
Or you can get the Source Bladders.
Water tastes fresh even after a few months of sitting inside. Mold cant grow on the bladder cause the insides are lined with a glass-like film.

Its military spec, 30 bucks approx and it has a lifetime warranty Ive used it for a year now, MikeL used it on deployment to the sandbox and a few others as well.

I highly recommend it. The only places Ive had to clean out due to funny taste is the water stored in the hose. Just take some soapy water and siphon it through, then rinse and let dry.

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns

Last edited by DarkAngel; July 15th, 2011 at 01:56..
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:54   #8
Frozen Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
Another trick is to leave it in the freezer.
I usually do that with it 1/3-1/2 full. When you need it, top it off and you have ice cold water.
Makes a nice cooling unit on a hot day, if your carrier is thin and right against your back.

Delenda Est Carthago
Frozen Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:58   #9
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
I find freezing water changes the taste significantly, personally im not a fan of it.

Adding Icecubes is a different thing, but it kinda sucks when the whole resevoir tastes like that.

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:44   #10
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
CamelBak offers a cleaning kit that's about $25 it comes with bladder detergent a couple brushes, Bladder and hose, also comes with a flex dry rack that you push in through the lid and allows for proper drying, it hangs like a coat hanger.
That said you can bend a coat hanger and that should dry your bladder just as well. The detergents and brushes are if you really abused your bladder.
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 13:52   #11
horto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
Or you can get the Source Bladders.
Water tastes fresh even after a few months of sitting inside. Mold cant grow on the bladder cause the insides are lined with a glass-like film.

Its military spec, 30 bucks approx and it has a lifetime warranty Ive used it for a year now, MikeL used it on deployment to the sandbox and a few others as well.

I highly recommend it. The only places Ive had to clean out due to funny taste is the water stored in the hose. Just take some soapy water and siphon it through, then rinse and let dry.
+1. After using a 3L Source bladder I will never go back to anything else. Fantastic product.

OP: Cleaning kit or just be diligent in emptying it and letting it air dry after every game. Use soap and water on the mouthpiece and through the hose. Never mix anything but water inside your camelbak. (Although I have yet to try Camelbak "elixer" tablets).
Old July 15th, 2011, 14:02   #12
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
I've aways just kept water in my Camelbak, even just half, have never cleaned it past a rinse out before filling for use, had it about 6 years, never got mold. Heck, I have it now in my truck, half full, hasn't been opened or rinsed for a year and a half, water is still good and no different taste than when I got it.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 14:27   #13
-Skeletor-
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post

I only used Camelbak bladders in Afghanistan and for almost everything I've done in the CF, except one occasion because I forgot the Camelbak bladder at home and Source was the only bladder I could get quickly mailed to me from an online store.

I've used a Source bladder once during my QL5 course, it was alright, two complaints against it, or at least the model I had was the hose was pretty short and the drinking nozzle sucks and can accidently twist open and leak. Aside from the above two issues, everything else about the bladder was good.
Old July 15th, 2011, 15:15   #14
coach
aka coachster

I've never "washed" either of my camelbak bladders but I have only ever put fresh water in them. Will rinse/flush the bladder and hose/bite valve with fresh water a couple times if it's been sitting for a while.

Have not experienced any taste change when freezing it. I suspect those who get an odd taste when freezing or adding ice cube are experiencing flavours from the freezer itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyissue View Post
That said you can bend a coat hanger and that should dry your bladder just as well. The detergents and brushes are if you really abused your bladder.
metal coat hangers rust when exposed to moisture.....
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 15:23   #15
Danke

What I like about my Camelback bladder is the quick disconnect at both ends of the hose.

Helps with cleaning, and with routing the hose through gear or packs.

As you guys backwash into the tube and bladder you will eventually flush bacteria into the bag. Given time you'll have a free trip to Tijuana right there with you.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion