Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Suppressor function

:

Accessories Discussion

Old June 25th, 2010, 17:20   #1
Steven

Suppressor function

Hey guys, on my Mk23, with my current silencer, it is very silent.

Now, as my ghillie is pretty restricting in terms of space, with the suppressor threaded on, and in its holster, i fear if it begin snapped off in a tumble, prone, or what have you position.

So im wondering, does the length of a suppressor determine the level of suppression it gives? Would getting a very short, about 100mm one change how quiet each shot it?

Thanks!
Old June 25th, 2010, 17:42   #2
Kos-Mos

If you are talking about the TM MK23 NBB, the silencer does make a difference. It is hard to get a silencer that will fit a holder for pistols and be efficient.

You might just want to have a silencer pouch and thread it on when you need it... I guess that it is your side arm along with your BA rifle... By the time the enemy gets close enough so that the silencer would make a difference, you have plenty of time to either take him out or attach your silencer.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 17:45   #3
Steven

While thats true, it takes quite a bit of movement to get your silencer, and thread it on, especially if im trying o be stealthy.

I've got the coveted 16mm - 14mm thread adapter ( ) , so picking any silencer is no problem. It just that with this specific one: http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...roducts_id=207

It would let me holster it, and not worry about threading it on all the time.

Will the "suppression" still be as quiet as a longer one?

EDIT: And yes, it is the TM Mk23 NBB
Old June 25th, 2010, 18:54   #4
BaKeR

Send a message via MSN to BaKeR
if you put on a shorter silencer it will be louder and defeat the point. i had a similar concern as you do years ago when i was sniping using the mk23 as my backup. i rigged up a holster to go on some webbing under my bdu jacket ghillie on my back/shoulder blade area. make it easy when prone/whatever to reach in and pull it out. like a shotgun cabbard type idea.

this way the pistol is always flush again your back, and wont be broken. unles you for some strange reason spend time on you back while on the field
Old June 25th, 2010, 19:07   #5
coach
aka coachster

Suppressor function

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven
I've got the coveted 16mm - 14mm thread adapter ( )
Where and how much? lol

If it came with the mk23, I hate you!
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 19:14   #6
Steven

Oh, by fluke chance, when amos came to my house to work on my rifle ( See sniper rifle thread) He saw that it was his old Mk23! But yeah, it came with the pistol so ask Amos!

So, having a 8 cm Suppressor will not silence the gun to the same extent?
Old June 25th, 2010, 21:22   #7
Kos-Mos

No, and the one you posted is of a larger diameter. Makes the thing even worst to holster.

You might want to look into the King Arms "Slim" silencers. If they make one shorter that yours, they are about the same diameter as the stock one.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 23:08   #8
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Keep the suppressor off and in a different pouch until you're going to use the pistol.

I can't see how a holstered pistol with a suppressor on is comfortable or do-able at all.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 23:28   #9
Steven

Not comfortable, hence he asking would a shorter (more comfortable) suppressor function the same!

Heres some pics for reference on how its set up.

Now obviously, i remove the LAM unit, and usually dont holster it with the suppressor, but would like to, lol
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:12   #10
Reckless

heh.. I'm in the same boat.. looking at a smaller silencer ... partially for size, and partially just to leave the stock silencer and LAM in the box for possible resale.

I've also seen people mod the threads for like half a turn engage instead of the normal like 10 turns

will a smaller silencer make it louder... yes... you might only be silent at 15 or 18ft instead of like 10ft... this also provides that the silencer you pick up is packed with a good foam an not the cheapest hollow knock off you can find

Quote:
"SIR!, you've gone mad with power!"
"Ofcourse I have, you ever gone mad without power, it's useless, no one pays any attention"
The Cavalry Comes
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 14:13   #11
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

I use my MK23 as my backup when sniping. I carry my supressor in a pouch. When I'm close enough to the ennemy to use my pistol, that mean I made a mistake somewhere and gunning them down un-supressed is acceptable as I will be legging away.

To answer your question, a shorter supressor shoud work properly on the MK23. I don't think the musle overpressure is great enough to need a large supressor. You could get away with something half the size of the "issued" one.
But you would still be entangled with it. The MK23 is pretty large on it's own. I carry it under my arms, on a molle panel, and I find it pretty big, even there.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 14:21   #12
Steven

Yes, your right. Although its big, and doesnt fit under the jacket per say, Im going to ghillie the holster. I guess i'll just stick with the regular suppressor i have now, and make sure i dont get into that position!

Thanks folks!

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion