Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

ICS L85 binding issues

:

Doctor's Corner

Old April 26th, 2010, 18:33   #16
kalnaren

Thanks Sha Do. I actually took it to a local gun dock, I'll pass the information along next time I'm talking to him.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 20:00   #17
Mobbs
Fake Airborne Soldier

So Sha Do what would you recommend for a piston for my L85,as the tail tooth had broken into my second week,do not even mind if I have to pay but I want to get my rifle going???
Mobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 14:09   #18
Eien

Thanks Sha Do. I'll keep this on my favourites

So... would any half teeth piston work?

edit - mines just gaved out LOL

Last edited by Eien; April 27th, 2010 at 18:02..
Eien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 21:44   #19
Sha Do

Ideally any half tooth piston will do, as mentioned previously, any piston will do IF you modify the rear left tooth by filing it (I will attempt to attach a picture of this soon).
As well, there seems to be an alignment issue with in the mech box where the piston loads too far forward (I say this only because of the amount of L85 owners suffering from broken pistons), so I would recommend also installing a sorbo pad to help keep the piston true load position.

SHA DO
Sha Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 19:46   #20
Sha Do

Pics

Here are the pictures of the piston mods for the ICS L85;

This picture is a reference/comparison guide for the ICS aluminum pistons;
-On the left side of the picture (LIPO ready)- a standard reinforced full tooth piston. Note how far over the teeth run from one side to the other of the piston, in particularly the last tooth of the piston.
-In the middle - a modded reinforced piston that works in the L85 (though it still needs to be LIPO ready modded as can been seen on the piston to the right).
Minimal filing is required to do this modification, and you only need to file the last tooth of the piston. However, making sure that the piston is LIPO ready (by removing the second last tooth) will greatly extend the life of the piston when combined with a sorbo pad.
-On the right - a standard reinforced half tooth piston (LIPO ready). This will work with no modifications being done to the piston, but as above, ensuring that the piston is LIPO ready (by removing the second last tooth) will greatly extend the life of the piston when combined with a sorbo pad.

Note the half tooth piston. In particular the wear on the "bottom" of the last piston tooth (first in the compression cycle). This wear occurs when there is a piston alignment issue, which can be curbed by installing a sorbo pad.
We have also had success by using a LIPO ready piston and installing a 1/16 washer between the piston and the piston head, though we are attempting to determine the long term effects on performance by doing this type of mod.

Views from the back of the piston;

- a standard reinforced full tooth piston. Notice how the sides of the piston slope down to the last tooth. This piston will bind up in the L85 on the first cycle. But if you file off the bottom corner, as visible below, you will have no problems....as long as the gears are shimmed correctly.

- the modified piston. Notice how the last tooth is now at a 90 degree rather than a slope. This little area of removed material is where the spur gear needs to clear along the side of the piston.

- a half tooth piston. Again notice the amount of material that is absent on the one side of the last tooth. This piston would need no modification to work inside the L85.

Please note that this mod will allow you to use any piston in the L85, but will not affect the piston alignment issue.

SHA DO

Last edited by Sha Do; April 28th, 2010 at 23:41..
Sha Do is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner