Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Gun just died....?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old February 11th, 2010, 23:25   #16
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Better idea than fuses, is wiring your gun without a fuse. If you're not a retard you won't damage your gun (like holding down the trigger for 20 seconds when it's not working, and melting your wiring/switch)

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 23:42   #17
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Better idea than fuses, is wiring your gun without a fuse. If you're not a retard you won't damage your gun (like holding down the trigger for 20 seconds when it's not working, and melting your wiring/switch)
you're mostly right, most of my guns don't have fuses, but once We had a battery exploded (9.6v 2000mah fully charged), wired sliced under the stock tube(had to do dremeling to make everything fit and apparently i removed 1mm too little) and battery instantly melted the wires/it's coating within 2-3 seconds. Really wish i had left the fuse in that gun.... Or higher quality wires that don't slice/tear as easily.

Last edited by AngelusNex; February 12th, 2010 at 07:37..
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 00:48   #18
Soulfly

Send a message via MSN to Soulfly
I don't know why you wouldn't want a fuse.. It's not like it hinders the power or anything? just takes up a bit of space and a bit more work in the wiring.. Do you walk around with your guns off safe even though they are loaded and ready to fire? Or maybe you go to the extreme.. I bet you're one of those guys that doesn't bother to put on his seat belt either, Because "They do more damage than save lives".

Riiiiight..

A fuse just takes up a bit of space. Don't take it out. It doesn't take much time to fry a freshly charged battery when something goes A-Wall..
Old February 12th, 2010, 00:54   #19
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
I don't know why you wouldn't want a fuse.. It's not like it hinders the power or anything? just takes up a bit of space and a bit more work in the wiring.. Do you walk around with your guns off safe even though they are loaded and ready to fire? Or maybe you go to the extreme.. I bet you're one of those guys that doesn't bother to put on his seat belt either, Because "They do more damage than save lives".

Riiiiight..
Uhhhh, ok. Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
A fuse just takes up a bit of space. Don't take it out. It doesn't take much time to fry a freshly charged battery when something goes A-Wall..
None of my guns have had fuses and I've never fried a battery. If you're an idiot, you'll fry a battery.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:03   #20
Skladfin

A fuse is good to have for those who aren't perfectly confident in their reassembly skills.

Some prefer without it because it adds up some resistance. This is why people with good idea of what they are doing can live without them.

It's more or less an insurance for your wiring, preventing it from frying themselves. Whether having it or not is largely up to the user, I wouldn't try to impose my view on another in terms of this device.
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:30   #21
pawscal
I run without fuses because I dont want to be in the woods playing and blowing a fuse, then having to find one. As long as your not stupid and let off the trigger once you see that the gun is not firing there really no need for a fuse. Most AEG problems can be field repaired/troubleshoot with the limited tools I carry in my admin pouch, unless of course mechbox parts break.
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:49   #22
Decimator 3000

Just a quick off-topic question. Do I need to be age verified to participate in Airsoft events? Do I need to be a part of a team or do I just show up?
Decimator 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:47   #23
Kos-Mos

usually you get AV by showing at an event.

In my time, there was not store selling guns, so you where showing-up to be AV before having gun to play.

You can play as long as you have the age. Games are not related to ASC AV system. BUT there usually some people at the games that do AV for ASC.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:36   #24
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimator 3000 View Post
Just a quick off-topic question. Do I need to be age verified to participate in Airsoft events? Do I need to be a part of a team or do I just show up?
Only qualification to play is that your 18+ years old. Don't even need your own guns to play (people will rent out their loaner guns).
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 15:08   #25
Jackarutu

Send a message via Skype™ to Jackarutu
Someone asked why did the fuse blow. Based on the type of current draw these motors cause on startup I've never understood why the factories haven't provided slow blow fuses. True, they do cost more.

And someone else asked why remove the fuse from the circuit. Because, the OEM type are just an additional piece of junk waiting to cause high resistance in the circuit and decrease the weapons performance. That said I have noticed some companies are starting to use a higher grade of fuse holder and a different type of fuse other the glass ones which are not associated with causing high impedance.

Last edited by Jackarutu; February 12th, 2010 at 15:13..
Jackarutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 18:48   #26
kalnaren

If your gun is wired properly a fuse will have no negative impact on performance, so there is really little reason not to have one. There is far more resistance from the crappy tamiya connectors guns come with than there is from a fuse.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:05   #27
Decimator 3000

So I replaced the fuse, the gun still doesn't shoot. Also this new fuse broke very quickly. I gather there is something wrong with the mechbox? Or the wiring on in the the Mechbox?
Decimator 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:33   #28
Schlyder
IronOverlord

Take it to a gun doc.
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:39   #29
Windows

It means you have an internal short somewhere in the circuit, you will need to open the mech box up and inspect all conections. I would recomend this be done by an experienced gun doc, or if you own and know how to operate a multi meter and are experienced with taking things apart you could try it yourself, mechbox tutorials can be found by searching around.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 13:02   #30
Skladfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
It means you have an internal short somewhere in the circuit, you will need to open the mech box up and inspect all conections. I would recomend this be done by an experienced gun doc, or if you own and know how to operate a multi meter and are experienced with taking things apart you could try it yourself, mechbox tutorials can be found by searching around.
morgan, it's solved
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner