Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New to Airsoft and UMP Advice?

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 15th, 2017, 18:51   #1
BattleMedic

New to Airsoft and UMP Advice?

Hello, I'm a new player in airsoft, and I've done a lot of research towards purchasing my first gun. There are a ton of M4/AK recommendations out there, but I really wanted to get an SMG (I love CQC), and I decided on the G&G UMG.
I saw that Hero Outdoors has a combo of gun + battery + charger, but I can't be certain of the quality of battery provided. However, I realize that this is my very first gun; should I really worry about it and figure out what battery/charger availability there is? (And if so, is there a better deal out there if I order the gun separately from a battery/charger?)

I was also curious about if the more recent Umarex AEG UMPs are of better quality than G&G's iteration? I believe they are made by Ares?
BattleMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 22:07   #2
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

Included batteries and charger are almost always trash. The price also seems excessive... when something is cheaper at buyairsoft, there's a big problem. Not so long ago the G&G and/or Classic Army UMPs would sell for around 270$, but the Canadian dollar tanked since then. You should keep looking for a better deal, and recently a lot of UMPs popped up in the classified for a lot cheaper with extra mags.

The Ares UMP is complete trash. Avoid it at all cost. The only UMPs worth buying are the G&G and Classic Army. In this case the Classic Army is a clone of the G&G, but it is every bit as well made.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 15:51   #3
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

People who have owned or handled both CA and G&G have told me the CA feels better but the G&G has better factory parts support. I have serviced 2 CAs and 1 G&G. Both of the CAs had broken ejection ports, one had a broken selector that looks like it can't be changed in the lower receiver as it's hard pinned in rather than screwed in. Internally they are both similar.
Old June 16th, 2017, 16:58   #4
XON50

I've owned both the classic army and Ares UMP. CA feels way better than both Ares and G&G. If you're a stickler for proper trades or the fake bullet mags, you'll have to go with Ares. Ares has a sports model and a competitive model. Definitely go with the competitive model if you decide on Ares.

Or go VFC GBB UMP 😉.

And DO NOT HK SLAP the charging handle on any of the AEG models, CA, G&G or Ares.
Old June 16th, 2017, 20:45   #5
BattleMedic

Thank you for all of the feedback!
Honestly, I'm happy with a gun as long as it is dependable (I'm also not afraid to open it up if things seem amiss).

Would anyone be able to recommend a good battery and charger from a reputable online source? I know there isn't a lot of battery space in either gun, and I have next to no experience with any of the brands out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
... I have serviced 2 CAs and 1 G&G. Both of the CAs had broken ejection ports, one had a broken selector...
Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the G&G that you serviced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XON50 View Post
DO NOT HK SLAP the charging handle...
Hah, I'll definitely take your advice on that.
BattleMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 11:59   #6
jordan7831
will always be Mike Litoris in our hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
People who have owned or handled both CA and G&G have told me the CA feels better but the G&G has better factory parts support. I have serviced 2 CAs and 1 G&G. Both of the CAs had broken ejection ports, one had a broken selector that looks like it can't be changed in the lower receiver as it's hard pinned in rather than screwed in. Internally they are both similar.
You are correct. The CA UMP has a pin holding the selector in and the problem is it's a blind hole. Meaning the hole does not go all the way through.

Just FYI, you can always drill the hole all the way through to service and access the selector switch.
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 15:57   #7
IrwWyatt

I bought my UMP from buyairsoft.com
It was a pretty damn durable gun. Loud retort, quick trigger response.
Roughly 366 out of the box. Magazines are super expensive. They are a nylon like the body and rattle vigorously. It is also difficult to find magazine pouches for them.
For build my understanding was this G&G>CA>Umarex .
IrwWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank