Real steel accessories?

:

Accessories Discussion

Old February 14th, 2008, 21:09   #16
Ibby

Send a message via ICQ to Ibby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
... buying real-steel accessories for an airsoft gun is a huge waste of money and time
I don't think it is. I've got plenty of RS parts on my guns. Some out of necessity to replace broken or worn airsoft parts, some are to make further mods possible. Some of the parts I've put on I had kicking around, some I bought and traded for. None of the RS I bought were more expensive than airsoft counterparts, but all were better quality, and have held up tons better than the stuff they've replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
For airsoft you don't need real optics... and buying them with the excuse that "Oh, I'll use it on my real gun too" is kind of lame, You're going to have to re-zero it every single time you take it off the gun.
Again, your mileage may vary. I bought a simple 4x Colt RS scope from Lupo years ago that I still use at pretty much every game. Cand I zero in a shot with it? Nope, airsoft doesn't have the range. But it has saved many a player from friendly fire incidents, and it's shown me once or twice that an opposing team was about to complete an objective we needed to prevent. Very handy. Certain scopes do retain zeroing, like the issued Elcan. As long as you don't rezero it on your airsoft, it'll still be at the same zero when you put it back on your RS.
It's very easy to prevent breakage on them too. Just cut out a circle of lexan, install behind the flip up cover and you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos View Post
There's this guy in Ont who's got a RS NV optic on his TM. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.
I've got one I put on my ICS/TOP guns, but I'd never put it on a plastic body. Mine's kind of big and would tear a resin body apart in no time. Something smaller like a TIM-14 you might be able to get away with on plastic though, but since the sight is almost always worth more than the gun, I'd never do it.
Old February 14th, 2008, 21:32   #17
Steeve747
Banned

LaRue are pure hot. I know Ronan has one on his PTW. Their is no airsoft copy of those or of Daniel Defense rails. You need a PTW to put them on since the threading is the same (hence why PTW's accept real steel accessories).

Take in consideration that LaRue and DD rails are hard and expensive to find inside Canada. Do you really want to 'jam/force' a ~$500 rail on a pot metal body?

Good luck with your project.
Steeve747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 21:43   #18
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Often putting RS parts on an airsoft gun is the only way to get a desired look/function.

Before airsoft ambi-catches were released, I had modded a RS Badger Ordnance ambi-catch onto an ICS cocking handle;

Before airsoft AKSU's were released, I modded a RS AK74SU folding stock onto a AK47 (and then AK74) metal body.... etc and so forth..
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 22:14   #19
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve747 View Post
Take in consideration that LaRue and DD rails are hard and expensive to find inside Canada. Do you really want to 'jam/force' a ~$500 rail on a pot metal body?

Honestly, its been done. Steel always wins against pot metal/aluminum.

That Madbull re-threading die is steel, too.

My only point of emphasis was using a proper tool (armorer's wrench) to get enough torque to do it right without damaging anything, lubing it, and not over forcing it to prevent cracking anything.

The latter points would also apply to using the die.

And the steel barrel nut won't get much more damage to it from pot metal than a knife gets damaged by a carrot.
Old February 14th, 2008, 23:52   #20
pOkiE

Send a message via AIM to pOkiE
hrmmm...i live in hawaii (usa) so getting the rails themself would be no big deal. ive even seen them at some of the gun shops over here. i dont really wanna jack up my gun...even though it is still in the early phase. i dont have any tools for real steel guns so i probably wouldnt be able to do drakes mod on my own.

perhaps i will have to switch over to a PTW. ive read some pretty good things about them but im pretty partial to having the systema logo on the lower receiver. i saw a colt lower for the ptw on redwolf but it seems it was a limited run item. do you guys know where and how much it would cost to get a vltor mur modded to fit the ptw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
I mean, even God carries a SOCOM.
pOkiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:24   #21
mcguyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pOkiE View Post
hrmmm...i live in hawaii (usa) so getting the rails themself would be no big deal. ive even seen them at some of the gun shops over here. i dont really wanna jack up my gun...even though it is still in the early phase. i dont have any tools for real steel guns so i probably wouldnt be able to do drakes mod on my own.

perhaps i will have to switch over to a PTW. ive read some pretty good things about them but im pretty partial to having the systema logo on the lower receiver. i saw a colt lower for the ptw on redwolf but it seems it was a limited run item. do you guys know where and how much it would cost to get a vltor mur modded to fit the ptw?
Go see the Team Killer Studio guys in Honolulu if you want a PTW and related stuff, but I'm sure you knew that already

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:29   #22
pOkiE

actually i DIDNT know that...do you know how i could get a hold of them?

Quote:
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:37   #23
wey ferro

usually real stuff is cheaper then airsoft shit...plus its been to iraq! if you know where to get it.
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:38   #24
Drake
E-01

Quote:
i dont have any tools for real steel guns so i probably wouldnt be able to do drakes mod on my own.
An AR15 Armorer's Wrench is like $30 and available online.
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:56   #25
mcguyver

Quote:
actually i DIDNT know that...do you know how i could get a hold of them?
http://www.zero-ops.com/

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:22   #26
pOkiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
their site sucks! hopefully they respond to my email...thanks for the help though!

Quote:
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:51   #27
leblanc74

Send a message via MSN to leblanc74
Quote:

dude, you are in the US, what are you doing with a TM while you can get a PTW fairly easy?... Also, there is no restrictions on purchasing any brand you like in regards to rails, including LaRue and DD's .... you want to look at some sweet setup take a look at this tread that are PTW's photos...most of the people there is from the US which for them having real steal parts on their PTW is easy to have access off... and if you want you can always ship me some LaRue rails

http://www.systema-europe.com/Forum/...ts.asp?TID=429
leblanc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion