Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Side-by-side vs double/triple mag pouch reload speed

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old December 27th, 2011, 03:29   #1
kullwarrior

Side-by-side vs double/triple mag pouch reload speed

Is it just me or the conesus are that side-by-side mag pouch are generally slower to reload than double/ triple mag pouch? I've been trying to practice with the side-by-side and it isn't getting better.

FYI:
Side by side:
(Example is the Tactical Assault Panal)

Double/triple
Exampe is the SDS USGI double mag pouch
Old December 27th, 2011, 04:36   #2
Dynamo
Harvester of Noobs' Sorrow

Send a message via MSN to Dynamo
personally i like the side-by-side better than double stacked.
the only issue with s-s is that you need to keep track over a larger area as to what mags have been partially used or not. the s-s set up also means a slimmer tighter fit, so you can get closer to the ground when prone.

with stacked mags, they tend to be a bitch for reinserting during a tact reload. i hate the elastic that is inside most brands of stacked pouches.. i always cut out those damn things. i also hate going prone with them.. it's like laying on a log.

thats not to say i dont use double stack mag pouches, i just put them on my duty belt on my left side. i have 3 on there and when i drop my vest, i still have 6x mags, my dump pouch and my sidearm.

Don't look at me, I don't know, lol ¯\(°_o)/¯.
Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:38   #3
Ballcancer

Why not both? I use two taco's right on my mid section of my RRV - side by side- and two doubles on my right side. I use the taco's for my main reloading pouches, and move the mags around when they are expended. I also find that the taco's are easy to re-insert/insert mags into - a quick rocking motion. When there is a lull I swap mags around, I put spent/half empty ones at the far right double and fresh ones get moved up. Works for me. I dont use dump pouches.
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:40   #4
SuperHog

Singles, doubles, and triples all work. As well as flap or elastic retention. Its personal preference on your setup which ones you use.

There is no reason why people don't put triples in the back of the vest that play prone.

Last edited by SuperHog; December 28th, 2011 at 00:27..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 14:13   #5
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
Singles, doubles, and triples all work. As well as flap or elastic retention. Its personal preference on your setup which ones you use.

There is no reason why people don't put triples in the back of the vest that play prone.

Harder to reach pouches on your back.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 20:03   #6
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt Caliber View Post
Harder to reach pouches on your back.
Takes more effort to get to it but not impossible. As you place empty mags into your dump pouch, just move the back mags to the front pouches. Just a suggestion for the way kullwarrior has his arranged.

I run with a combo of mid and high caps so carrying the needed ammo is never an issue. I have Condor triple double stack and it works well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Condor Triple double stacked.jpg (11.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by SuperHog; December 29th, 2011 at 20:11..
Old December 29th, 2011, 20:10   #7
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

I find that the type of pouch (open top or closed top, retention strap or not) will dictate your reloading speed more than anything else. Simply put it's one less step not to have to open a pouch or move a strap to get the mag into the gun. I also find a single pouch can speed you up by allowing you to get hold of the mag faster as you have a more unobstructed path to the mag. Your speed also depends on how much of the mag protrudes from the pouch which determines how quickly you can establish a secure grip. But there is a trade off, single pouches take up more real estate to carry the same amount. Also an open top pouch generally offers less retention than a closed top. Faster is better yes? But you need to balance your speed with what is required by the mission at hand.

I generally use single taco pouches side by side. I find that the open top combined with the excellent adjustable retention of the taco and a well placed dump pouch makes for extremely fast reloads. The taco's also allow for quick and easy re-insertion while managing your mags. The singles do take up more real estate causing you to have to index over a larger area. I make up for this by managing my mags whenever I have a chance. I also prefer the singles as it makes for a much more comfortable and lower profile prone position. The other thing I find is that it's very easy to tell if your single open top pouches are empty or not. Allowing you to quickly continue your index towards a loaded pouch. With double or triple pouches I often times need to give a heavy pat to tell if they contain mags or not, slowing my reload.

It can be beneficial to utilize a combination of both styles of pouches as they both have their own benefits. As always with pouches placement is key.

I find pouches on my back to be cumbersome to access and anything I put there would be designated for a team mate to use.

Last edited by Kozzie; December 29th, 2011 at 21:42.. Reason: Picture
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 20:16   #8
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I used to run triple mag pouches, what really slows you down on a triple is lifting the flap and putting the mag back INTO the pouch.
Now I run all double mag pouches, no flap, elastic retention. Ridiculously fast reload speeds, I can swap out a mag and put the empty one back in the pouch inside of 4 seconds IN COMBAT.
It's amazing how many people just don't know HOW to use a double M4 pouch lol

This walkthrough is for a beer can grip on the mag for a right handed shooter

Okay so firstly, all your mags face the same direction when they are full (bullets point AWAY from your rifle), and the opposite direction when empty (bullets would be pointing TOWARDS the rifle). That way you don't ever have to look or guess which mags have ammo in them.

Second, put the mag 90 degrees to the one in your gun, hit the mag release with your trigger finger, rotate mags 90 degrees and insert new mag. If you've got it in a beer can grip, the empty mag has it's bottom in your palm and it's lengthwise down your wrist.

Third, putting the mag back into the double mag pouch quickly and efficiently. WITHOUT changing your grip on the mag, insert it into the BACK of the pouch you just grabbed your new mag from. It will glide easily and effortlessly all the way into that mag pouch, and it will be facing the opposite direction of all your loaded mags!

I lost all my pics from the last 2 years, I'm trying to find you a picture...

Last edited by ThunderCactus; December 29th, 2011 at 20:21..
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 20:21   #9
SuperHog

+1 on that Thunder!

Exactly how I am set up. All mags in the same direction and a dump pouch so I never pull out an empty mag.

The only difference with my setup, I have grip tape on the ends of the mags.
Old December 29th, 2011, 20:27   #10
ThunderCactus

I run ranger tabs, only used them with the triple pouches since they were really deep, they have no purpose on double mag pouches, they just look bad ass.

Edit; can't find a pic, too lazy to take one, but it's a pretty graphic walkthrough, I'm sure you guys can figure it out lol

Last edited by ThunderCactus; December 29th, 2011 at 20:34..
Old December 29th, 2011, 22:33   #11
SuperHog

I cheaped out and went with grip tape.
Old December 30th, 2011, 03:31   #12
ThunderCactus

well whatever works. I also prefer good old STANAG mags to any new fangled polymer crap.
Any kind of texture, waffle, thermold, or even Pmag, just catches the other mag on the way in or out of the pouch. Nothing slides like a flat steel surface against another flat steel surface lol
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:24   #13
lonesniper

I do a combo of both. Im only gonna run my Banshee with a triple kangaroo mag insert and a T.A.G Molle 223 quick draw pouch for 6 +1.

Give them nothing, But take from them.....Everything.

ø¤º°`°º¤ø
,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°
°`°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º? ?` °`°
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°
,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,
ø¤º°`°º¤ø
º°`°º
lonesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:16   #14
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

I prefer side by side pouches as they are easier to manage in combat. I can keep track of empty mags by feel (inverted in pouchs) and it has a low profile. I carry 6 mags like this. The others are in 2 double pouches. These pouches are way too tight to be fast and having to mags in the same pouche make it harder to tac-reload. You really need a dump pouch to be fast.

In this case, I dump the mags on the ground.

28mai2011 - OP RealCap - YouTube

6:56 mark. Fast reloading using double pouches under fire. Not exacly super fast.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:27   #15
Mr. G36!

Location: Beautiful Thunder Bay, where dreams become nightmares!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
Is it just me or the conesus are that side-by-side mag pouch are generally slower to reload than double/ triple mag pouch?
Depends on what you're comfortable with. Take ten people and give them all the same mag pouches - some will be faster and some will be slower than if they had a different set-up.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures