Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

afraid of canadian winter :(

:

Newbie Tank

Old August 9th, 2009, 17:39   #1
SuperCriollo

afraid of canadian winter :(

hello everyone, im new in the country (like 4 months) so i havent experienced the infamous canadian winter.
i alredy bougth a pair of gloves and a winter jacket but i still need a pair of boots

my question is: do you know a good pair of tactical style boots that would work great in winter?

thank u guys and i love canada!!

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 17:54   #2
TCLP

You can get some good surplus CF boots that have gortex that will keep your feet dry and if you use some nice thick wool socks your feet will be nice and warm.
TCLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 18:19   #3
Jayne Finch

go to marks work warehouse. theres black insulated steel toes. there like a canvas type material. thats what i use

"Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

"i don't have a license to kill. but i have a learners permit!"
Jayne Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 18:34   #4
Darklen
Administrator

The CF gortex boots are ok if you can find them at a decent price in good shape. Boots with decent grips and high tops (8") will do fine providing they are either insulated or large enough for you to wear several pairs of socks, and preferably waterproof. If you can't find anything waterproof, you could always get gortex socks and wear them over all the other socks. I've seen CF Gortex boots run anywhere from $20-$120 in the same condition from different stores, so shop around if that's what you're going for. $50-$80 seem's reasonable for a pair in good shape. Anything over $100, look elsewhere.

I've tried Sorels and man, they keep your feet warm alright, but it feel like a ton of lead on my feet after an hour or so. I wear a set of Danner Ft. Lewis boots with gortex and thinsulte. They've done me very well for the last 6 years. Expensive as hell mind you. Last I saw them they were going for over $400 for a pair. I paid less than 20% of that, so shop around and you can find good deals.
Old August 9th, 2009, 18:47   #5
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Sorry to tell you this man but lately the winters have been so cold you're not allowed to leave your house.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 18:49   #6
Schlyder
IronOverlord

ahhhh it's not all as bad as you've heard. Just don't lick anything, and you will be fine.
Old August 9th, 2009, 18:59   #7
Daiviet
Captain Sunshine

Don't eat the yellow snow. or lick anything metal.
Daiviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 19:04   #8
kalnaren

Snowshoes are good for winter airsofting...

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 19:04   #9
Spawn28
I am manly hear me squeek

Send a message via MSN to Spawn28
Realtree Survivor boots 100% waterproof 8-10in and 2000grams per boot of thinsulate insulation total cost 40$ walmart worn mine for 2 years now and their awsome and warm provided its not -40 and youur standing around.

Squeek!

Last edited by Spawn28; August 9th, 2009 at 19:11..
Spawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 20:19   #10
Drake
E-01

I use Bates USMC Goretex boots -- actually got them for winter use when walking my dog and stuff, since my "dressier" winter boots just weren't cutting it. I use them for airsoft, too, of course; they're all around fantastic. I've waded through streams, I've walked through ankle deep pools of icy slush in spring, and I've hiked for hours in calf deep snow in winter with these boots.

A bit pricy but worth every penny, IMO.

(note that my experience is with the USMC boots, but I'm pretty sure all issue goretex boots would perform similarly well)
Old August 9th, 2009, 21:24   #11
coach
aka coachster

don't get suckered into wearing white. it doesn't snow enough in southern ontario anymore.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 21:34   #12
Assault Pioneer
formerly haakon45

ya live in ontario, not that bad, if your outside, urban bdu's ontop of a few hoodies, and some tall combat boots is good, I just wear winterboots, it doesnt really matter.

Ontario winters arent that bad, but here in Alberta, 3 minutes outside...you gonna die. were where the stereotypical canadian winter begins, then it streches north to nwt and east to saskachewan and manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Don't take weapons training from a book. It ranks right up there with people who think they know guns from watching a Chris Costa video.
Assault Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 21:42   #13
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon45 View Post
ya live in ontario, not that bad, if your outside, urban bdu's ontop of a few hoodies, and some tall combat boots is good, I just wear winterboots, it doesnt really matter.

Ontario winters arent that bad, but here in Alberta, 3 minutes outside...you gonna die. were where the stereotypical canadian winter begins, then it streches north to nwt and east to saskachewan and manitoba
Screw that, I'll take an Albertan winter over one in Quebec any day. Here its snows 30cm every other day as well as being -40 with the wind chill.
Old August 9th, 2009, 21:47   #14
m102404
Tys

Depends on where you are....

In Toronto, it'd focus more on waterproof boots than -40C comfort. We get slush, rarely mounds of snow. One or two massive dumps of snow a season...otherwise rain, slush and general slipperiness.

Pretty much any boots are good...my Danners are going strong after years of winters/games/etc...

For pure warmth...the felt "pack boots" with a draw string top are hard to beat. Super comfy. These are the ones I go to when I'm shoveling the drive on a weekend morning.

Despite how goofy you look...mitts beat gloves every time. Or lighter weight gloves with a mitt shell.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 21:49   #15
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

And now that you live in Canada you must get a tuque.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank