Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Please confirm, thx

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old April 29th, 2010, 06:46   #1
101jinx101
*backyard warrior*

Please confirm, thx

OK so after looking through all the stickies I've decided these questions are quite specific to the gun and parts i'm looking at, so please don't flame for not searching.

I bought a used G&G M4 CQB-R and it turns out the gears and piston teeth are all stripped, so, looking at all the online options, I've come down to these two choices; please let me know your opinions.

Option 1: piece together the upgrades needed from capital airsoft because its in canada, its cheaper, and don't have to wait nearly as long for shipping. These are the parts -

Please confirm if these parts (SRC?) will be compatible with G&G M4 ver. 2 gearbox.

-SRC OEM Cylinder and Cylinder Head Set for M4/M16 Series - $6
-Element V2/V3 Piston & Piston Head Set - $14
-Element V2 Ball Bearing Spring Guide - $11
-Modify M120 Spring - $15
-SRC V2 Gearbox Spring Set - $4
TOTAL: $50

I've never heard of the "Element" or "Modify" companies, anyone have experience with them?

is there anything I should look into other than these (except metal bushings) plus I just bought a new set of gears from 007

THIS is my other option, but is it really worth the extra?

eHobbyAsia full tune up kit

Now it also said "enlarged set" which I'm guessing means a wider cylinder/piston set? does this fit into a stock mechbox casing?

SORRY for the barrage, but I need my gun upgraded and running flawlessly for Claybank and only have so long to do it, so any all all info is greatly appreciated! THANKS!
101jinx101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:19   #2
Azathoth

I don't like element anything. Element, Lomax, SHS, 5KU are basically the same company and it's all pretty much junk. Modify is a quality brand.

I believe enlarged is suppose to mean Bore up. Don't bother with that kit. Try wargameparts.ca they are a new company that is bringing in modify products and is in the Edmonton area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:34   #3
Conker

Element is fine for external accessories, but I wouldn't risk it for internal upgrades.

They have an imperfect QC and relatively large tolerances, so not the best for your internals.

Modify is indeed a good brand.
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:52   #4
HKGhost

Don't use Element internals. They suck big time and you'll just end up buying replacement parts to replace those parts. With internals, I would use quality parts but external accessories, you can use Element.

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 19:17   #5
101jinx101
*backyard warrior*

Thanks for the info, I'll avoid Element.. As for wargameparts.ca, they have absolutely NO internal parts listed on their website so I think they're out of the question.

Another question: Are all version 2 gearbox's built to the same standards? meaning, are all parts interchangable/same size?
Old April 29th, 2010, 19:25   #6
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
I use Element internals and they're great.

High quality steel torque gears in my AUG.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 21:10   #7
Azathoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post

You are probably the luckiest element user on the planet.

Element and associated are a decent bargain brand. If you want something CHEAP and something you can easily throw away/replace then that's the choice IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 22:40   #8
Goge

Send a message via MSN to Goge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post

Ditto! element 200% torque up steel gears /w piston + element lightweight POM piston head + element shims + element bushing + Prometheus Non-Liner Spring MS120

Thats my FAMAS, yes, in a FA-MAS. Element is the best bargain brand. That said, heh, my Aug is all Guarder and MadBull. I'd wait for the Guarder to be back in stock.
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/guarder-s...a1-series.html
Old April 29th, 2010, 23:09   #9
voorhees -FWA-

Send a message via MSN to voorhees -FWA-
I have Element 300% torque up gears in my ICS M4 - they're awesome... I used Modify for everything else, bore up cylinder, head, piston, head, and spring... I havent had an issue since I installed them.
voorhees -FWA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 23:38   #10
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
So let me get this straight, and run through the events.

1) You cheap out and buy a low quality clone.
2) Said Clone breaks
3) You decide to replace the parts with ANOTHER clone Brand.

Its bad enough that your dealing with G&G's and their tolerances. Now you want to replace them with other poor clone tolerances.

In the old days, we used to say "We told you so" when people ignored our suggestions, cheaped out on a clone and their gun broke. Nowadays its the norm and people just seem to accept it.

Do yourself a favour. If your gonna start pouring money on a clone, at least do it right. Go with Higher Quality Parts, such as Prometheus, Modify, Guarder etc.

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns

Last edited by DarkAngel; April 29th, 2010 at 23:43..
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 23:54   #11
Goge

Send a message via MSN to Goge
In the old'n days bad clones with with terrible tolerances were a horrible occurrence. From what I see Element uses mass sales with low profit margins on products with comparable quality to outsell low cost high profit margin "quality" brands. I've had no problems with them, others have had no problems with them.

These aren't pot metal, terrible QC, throw them all in a bag and sell everything parts. Its the exact opposite, its a smart business model and its working.

Again that said, heh, I went all Guarder/MadBull on my main. I'm just saying its a valid option.

Last edited by Goge; April 29th, 2010 at 23:58..
Goge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 00:30   #12
101jinx101
*backyard warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
So let me get this straight, and run through the events.

1) You cheap out and buy a low quality clone.
2) Said Clone breaks
3) You decide to replace the parts with ANOTHER clone Brand.

Its bad enough that your dealing with G&G's and their tolerances. Now you want to replace them with other poor clone tolerances.

In the old days, we used to say "We told you so" when people ignored our suggestions, cheaped out on a clone and their gun broke. Nowadays its the norm and people just seem to accept it.

Do yourself a favour. If your gonna start pouring money on a clone, at least do it right. Go with Higher Quality Parts, such as Prometheus, Modify, Guarder etc.

Everything i've read so far states that G&G is a decent brand.. its one of the better clone options. or so I've read. Plus like I said, the guy I bought it off of said it was already upgraded. He neglected to mention how long ago it was, and how close it was to breaking down.
Not to mention its my first AEG and I simply bought it to sell it anyway (to my brother) but I can't go spend $700 on a new gun before claybank, so this is my option.

BUT, I appreciate the flaming and closed-mindedness, we need more people like you to keep the mainstream public FAR away from this wonderful sport Hell, you might as well save yourself the breath from saying "I told you so!" and just point and laugh like Nelson from the simpsons...

I'll apologize immediately for the sarcasm, but honestly not everyone just getting into it has thousands of $$$ on hand to buy a gun, not to mention gear, travel expenses, ammo, upgrades, maintanence, field fees ($130 for claybank!), secondary guns, extra batteries, mags, etc, etc.... However, if your one of the lucky ones who can, you could buy me an SRC G36E heavy support variant, and you'll never have to say "I told you so!" to me again..

007airsoft.com sells them for $500 +GST...

Last edited by 101jinx101; April 30th, 2010 at 00:46..
Old April 30th, 2010, 00:30   #13
swatt13
Captain Awesome

i reccommend going to airsoftparts.ca and buy a systema m120 mechabox, save yourself the hassle of mashing parts together and rebuilding the mechbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven
a Systema PTW is like KD, where the noodles are plated in gold and the cheese sauce is actually a pool of hot naked women.
swatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 00:36   #14
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
Ive worked with enough G&G's that I refuse to repair them anymore. Every client of mine who previously owned a G&G is in full agreement when I say that those "high profit margin guns and parts" are well worth the cost.

Smart Business practice or not, Experience has told me that any and all chinese parts arnt worth the hassle. Systema for example used to be VERY good when it came to high quality internals. Now the new stuff is made in china, and are plagued with issues. Faulty manufacturing, missing parts, bad tolerances, horrid QC, poor materials.

Ive had 3 Systema Helical gearsets on me fail within 100 rounds, broken tooth (due to bubbles in the metal), shattered gearsets, etc.

BRAND new systema springs that should be shooting 385-395, that are outputting 230fps.

Sorry, but its just not worth the bullshit. Know what your getting, get it done right. I cant afford to sit there and do twice the labour to fuck with clients guns because the parts are questionable. I will only handle good quality stuff, so far 100% of my clients agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101jinx101 View Post
BUT, I appreciate the flaming and closed-mindedness, we need more people like you to keep the mainstream public FAR away from this wonderful sport Hell, you might as well save yourself the breath from saying "I told you so!" and just point and laugh like Nelson from the simpsons... That'll boost your maturity!
Buddy... Im not flaming. Im making a point, trying to help you by guiding you to doing things right... If you cant take the critisizm, dont come posting onto a forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101jinx101 View Post
I'll apologize immediately for the sarcasm, but honestly not everyone just getting into it has thousands of $$$ on hand to buy a gun, not to mention gear, travel expenses, ammo, upgrades, maintanence, field fees ($130 for claybank!), secondary guns, extra batteries, mags, etc, etc.... However, if your one of the lucky ones who can, you could buy me an SRC G36E heavy support variant, and you'll never have to say "I told you so!" to me again
Airsoft is an expensive sport. Definately.
I personally do think however, that its well worth the cost to pay an additional 150-200$ and get a CA or TM. The costs in parts for repairs is well over the cost youll pay to get a good gun to begin with.

And SRC is pretty much on par with G&G. that 500 bucks is better spent on a CA or TM.
My personal experiene with SRC is a nightmare. My first gun was an SRC M4. Part after part failed incrementally untill nothing was left that was SRC. I scrapped that gun. Personally wont ever touch SRC again.

Also for the most part, these G&G and new SRC's are new to the market, they have no imperical data on reliability. Only what they "appear" to be at first glance. TM's have been on the market for dozens of years. They are KNOWN for their reliability. In addition, most of these reviews are done by new players, with very little experience or knowledge when it comes to airsoft guns. I find very little evidence from qualified gun docs to prove otherwise. I guess it doesnt help as well that the ones pushing these G&G's and SRC's are the retailers that are selling em. IMO that is extremely biased, and does not hold an ounce of credibility. This is one of the reasons I respect retailers such as BB Bastard so much. The community tests his products, and he takes every precaution to ensure that he does not interfere or bias the community reviews in any way.

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns

Last edited by DarkAngel; April 30th, 2010 at 01:26..
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 02:00   #15
101jinx101
*backyard warrior*

Well i don't want to get into a typing war, but I felt your initial post had a "your a dumbass for doin this and this and this" overtone. Your experience stories with G&G and SRC help to an extent, but to say "buy the most expensive stuff you can find, or get the fuck out" is kind of unprofessional... or maybe too professional. You've been doing it so long that you only use the best, I understand that. Sure, you dont like them, but how is this sport ever going to make any advancements in the public eye with threads like this? a "clone" gun works just fine for me, cause I'm not sniping from 250 ft away, or hitting quarters at 100 ft consistently. to be honest, I'll upgrade any gun I buy anyway, so why buy the most expensive stock internals if they're getting replaced? I just want something that will work for now, until I can slowly upgrade the parts one by one.
Like I said, not declaring war, just want you to realize how it sounded to someone less knowledgable who only has intentions of advancing the sport for the general public.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications