Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G&G M14 Spring

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old May 18th, 2008, 07:41   #1
Long_Bong

G&G M14 Spring

Hi,

I have a G&G M14 Veterans, just try it out yesterday, it running 430 fps with 0.2 BBs. I think it using a M130 Spring. I would like to have it run at 400 fps (outside game). 2 questions:

1) Can I use standard spring (like for v2 & v3 mechbox)?

3) What spring should I consider for 430 to 400 fps?

Thanks,

Bong
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:18   #2
The Saint

Where did question 2) go?

1) Yes

3) Hard to say, Prometheus MS100 if you want to get it right the first time, or MS110 and risk still being over 400 and having to buy a second spring
Old May 18th, 2008, 23:47   #3
Long_Bong

Thanks
Old May 19th, 2008, 00:23   #4
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Safest bet, use a Modify 100 spring (the same one I installed in your friend's TM AK with bearing spring guide, net velocity was 370fps, M14 has a longer barrel, with bearing spring guide and tightbore would put yo uaround 385-390fps).

And for increased reliability if you want to mostly run semi only, install a Trigger Master unit. Program it for Safe-Semi-Semi and you are good to go. And, in an M14 it'd be easier than anything to install since you don't have to run any wires through the mechbox and it's rear battery set up only.

Regarding the Trigger Master suggestion, two fault's I've found with the G&G M14 is one, they used rather thin contacts in the trigger assembly, after many semi only shots fired, the arching between the trigger block and the contact the battery is attached to (recall it being battery side, might be the motor side contact), the current flow literally cuts up the metal of the trigger contact until the end after the bent part falls off. Second issue is that the motor will burn out when using a heavier spring and the stock motor. Found this out when the one I was working on was set at around 420fps and the motor decided to smoke badly one day. Easy replacement though, an EG700 short motor works great!
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 00:35   #5
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
I'd say a Systema M120. I run one in my AUG. Same barrel length as a M14 and I'm using a bearing spring guide as well, and I get 400 on the dot. Less with hopup on (385-ish).

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 00:45   #6
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
I'd say a Systema M120. I run one in my AUG. Same barrel length as a M14 and I'm using a bearing spring guide as well, and I get 400 on the dot. Less with hopup on (385-ish).
Sounds like the G&G M14 has the same bad air leaking issues as the TM M14 does. I tried a Prometheus 120SP in my TM MP5SD a few months ago and got a decent 435fps out of it. And the Prometheus has a lower fps rating than Systema.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:32   #7
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
Sounds like the G&G M14 has the same bad air leaking issues as the TM M14 does. I tried a Prometheus 120SP in my TM MP5SD a few months ago and got a decent 435fps out of it. And the Prometheus has a lower fps rating than Systema.
Directly from Illusion's chart:

Prometheus MS120SP 420.555
Systema M120 392.355

Buh?

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:57   #8
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Directly from Illusion's chart:

Prometheus MS120SP 420.555
Systema M120 392.355

Buh?

Good point, but I've always known some springs shoot hotter than others, and Systema, Guarder etc. were hotter than some others (largely from my own testing from installations in client's guns) as they feel stiffer when you compress by hand (Prometheus has always been a soft spring, the Modify springs are fucking amazing!). I think largely it depends on the system (gun), some guns have inherantly better design than others as far as airleaks go. The TM M14 for example has a very badly leaking airnozzle, and Lutnit saw a 30-40fps increase by installing an airseal nozzle into his.

Illusion's chart is a nice side by side comparison, but it's a reference only, and he has admitted in the past it's not to be used as a guaranteed guide. Lots of things are different in the real world to his test bed (upgrade P90), barrel length, hop up design, etc.

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; May 19th, 2008 at 09:59..
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:07   #9
dontask

Send a message via MSN to dontask
Quote:
the Modify springs are fucking amazing
care to expand on that? Is it easy to compress yet puts out a high fps?
Old May 19th, 2008, 21:35   #10
The Saint

Quote:
Regarding the Trigger Master suggestion, two fault's I've found with the G&G M14 is one, they used rather thin contacts in the trigger assembly, after many semi only shots fired, the arching between the trigger block and the contact the battery is attached to (recall it being battery side, might be the motor side contact), the current flow literally cuts up the metal of the trigger contact until the end after the bent part falls off.
I recall you talking about that in the past. Would installing a TM unit help with that at all?

Good to know about the Modify springs! They're damn cheap, too.
Old May 19th, 2008, 21:42   #11
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Modify springs are easy to compress and cheap and put out predictable and relatively consistant fps. Just watch out for the rating though, they tend to be about 10m/s under. Example, I installed bushings, Modify 100 spring and bearing spring guide into a stock TM AK47.................. net result was 370fps using 0.20g BBs, high rate of fire, little mechbox abuse, perfect for V2 guns (yes, I know the AK is V3, I stopped talking abiout that after 'high rate of fire')

I have a MOdify 90 spring in one of my MP5s, bearing spring guide and tightbore, I'm getting fps in the 320-330fps range.

Jugglez sent me a study done by Modify on M4s, one for each spring value, all upgraded with some Modify parts. Results were chronied with 0.20g BBs, then the guns were used for 30,000 rounds then chronied again. All results were within a few fps of the new condition fps. Pretty impressive, eh?

And yes Saint, instead of having 12-15A running through the trigger system, you end up having well under 100mA running across the contacts of the trigger, therefore eliminating that arcing (cutting) problem.

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; May 19th, 2008 at 21:45..
Old May 19th, 2008, 21:50   #12
HaZarD SFD

G&G will fry its motor with a spring pushing it anywhere above 370fps. I would suggest you get a new motor for it. Having had one its a good idea.. also get a trigger assembly as well. The contacts in the oem Wiring are shat.
Old May 19th, 2008, 22:08   #13
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZarD SFD View Post
G&G will fry its motor with a spring pushing it anywhere above 370fps. I would suggest you get a new motor for it. Having had one its a good idea.. also get a trigger assembly as well. The contacts in the oem Wiring are shat.
Ya, I learned about the motor frying because of Hazard's gun, literally it started smoking on my bench like a lit cig, and kept going for a couple mins. Was also too hot to touch. 10 mins later I came back to it, picked it up, still quite warm. I suggested an EG700 short, he bought one, put it in, ran fucking great with the same spring.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications