Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

SAFETY ALERT - Illegal Propane Cylinder Refill Adaptor

:

Canadian Airsoft News Stand

Old April 7th, 2011, 18:48   #16
Dracheous
Lego Head

When I google "propane adaptor" I get ASC because of AI's propane adaptor kit.

Likely hood is that someone found the site that way and made assumptions; regardless its the responsibility of the citizen to get themselves informed. Alerts from your local fire department are a great help in informing the citizen, but it is not their responsibility to make sure you know not to set your ass on fire; just to hose you down when you're retarded and do manage it :P.

To be honest I'm surprised anyone's upset they included us, free publicity is free. Its members responsibility to be civil and promote the hobby/sport/whatever you call it, as a sane safe responsible activity ((not by runnin' around with banners and shit, but by not breakin' the damned law!)).

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 18:58   #17
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracheous View Post
When I google "propane adaptor" I get ASC because of AI's propane adaptor kit.

Likely hood is that someone found the site that way and made assumptions; regardless its the responsibility of the citizen to get themselves informed. Alerts from your local fire department are a great help in informing the citizen, but it is not their responsibility to make sure you know not to set your ass on fire; just to hose you down when you're retarded and do manage it :P.
The topic was on refilling disposable propane tank, not AI propane adapter.

It's funny to note, the description for TSSA is a non-for-profit organization aka not government, and probably a lobby group. While the legality of there regardless whether it's good or bad law, it is there and you have to follow it.

I just find it amusing how they try to use Ontario laws to shove it down the throat of a Canadian organization. (Kinda like trying to enforce BC body armor 'ban' on here or CGN)
Old April 7th, 2011, 19:42   #18
BloodSport
Traveling Man

I'm looking into the poster of this reference as I visited the TSSA site and no where can I find the links of "manufactuers/distributors" on their media releases.

Not saying I disagree with them and the removal of this thread from public eyes.

Just rather strange that its happened after the threads been dead for over a year, and if the person is who they seem to claim they are via their forum name and email addy, they should have contacted a board admin or Mantelope directly. I've fired off an email to my old fire chief back in Ontario to see what he can dig up.
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:55   #19
Juke16

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technic...fety_Authority
They have been given power by the government...
Juke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 12:49   #20
Grudge
multitech

http://www.tssa.org/corplibrary/Arti...F95D889551D742

Quote:
Safety Alert – Illegal Propane Cylinder Adaptor
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (Toronto, ON, March 30, 2011) The Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) have issued an alert regarding propane cylinder adaptors, designed to transfer propane from a BBQ-type cylinder to a smaller, non-refillable cylinder (typically 1-pound camp-stove bottles), that are being offered to the public via online retailers. These adaptors are illegal in the province of Ontario – as refilling non-refillable cylinders is prohibited by the Propane Storage and Handling Code – and pose safety risks to the public such as serious fires, explosions and burn hazards.
Propane cylinders must be filled by weight or volume as specified by the maximum value that is safely permitted by law. Cylinders must also be filled by a TSSA-licensed facility. Transferring propane from a BBQ-type cylinder to a smaller, non-refillable cylinder cannot be safely performed and the practice is illegal in the province of Ontario. The public is warned of this propane cylinder adaptor and the potential safety risks to the user.
About TSSA
The Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) is an innovative, not-for-profit, organization dedicated to enhancing public safety. Throughout Ontario, TSSA regulates the safety of amusement devices, boilers and pressure vessels, elevating devices, fuels, operating engineers, ski lifts, and upholstered and stuffed articles. Its range of safety services include public education and consumer information, certification, licensing and registration, engineering design review, inspections, investigations, safety management consultation, and enforcement and prosecution activities. The organization’s vision is to be a valued advocate and recognized authority in public safety.
Old April 8th, 2011, 13:01   #21
Gren

Send a message via MSN to Gren
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juke16 View Post
Technically they have always been the governing body here in Ontario, they used to be known as the MCCR till they were privatized about 20 to 25 years ago. They still do answer to the Ministry of Labour and Health and safety.They have to have all guide lines and directives cleared by these Ministries. For those outside the province of Ontario, you should check and see who your governing body and what their mandates are.
Old April 8th, 2011, 21:10   #22
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juke16 View Post
Oh I'm not saying the TSSA is wrong. Just curious who the new user account who came and made a post in a thread here on ASC is. Kinda weird how it was done. And has more information and links in it then the official TSSA posting.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > Canadian Airsoft News Stand