Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Mag types for outdoor play?

:

Newbie Tank

Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:53   #1
Lestat
formerly Lestat_d

Mag types for outdoor play?

What type of mags do people prefer -- hicap's or mid/low cap's for outdoor play?

I've heard hicaps 'rattle' and you have to wind them, and you don't get that with mid/low caps?
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:55   #2
m102404
Tys

Mid/Low caps

No, they don't rattle.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:56   #3
TCLP

I use lowcaps (68rds) because they are metal and full of win. It makes the game a lot more exciting when you have to do a reload, but if money is an issue midcaps work well to.
TCLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 14:18   #4
Lestat
formerly Lestat_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
Mid/Low caps

No, they don't rattle.
So you dont get bb's sloshing around inside the hicap making lots of noise; compared to lo/mid caps that dont slosh?
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 14:29   #5
JTF27

Send a message via MSN to JTF27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat_d View Post
So you dont get bb's sloshing around inside the hicap making lots of noise; compared to lo/mid caps that dont slosh?
No because a hicap has a compartment of just loose bb's where as real, low and mid caps are always under pressure being pushed to the top by a spring.
JTF27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 14:33   #6
m102404
Tys

Sorry, I worded that badly....

With hicaps...they rattle like a baby rattle because of the BBs bouncing around in the plastic shell.

With mid/low/real cap mags...they don't make any noise. The BB's are always under spring tension.

Tys
Old February 3rd, 2010, 14:43   #7
L473ncy

Hi caps are fed from a well and when you "wind" them if takes BB's from that "BB well" and puts some under tension in a feeder. When you shoot the BB's come out and as a result eventually there won't be any BB's left in the "feeding track" so now you have to wind it to take BB's from the well and load it into the feeder.

Mid, Low, and real caps on the other hand are all fed from a "feeding track" with spring tension holding them. In this case there is no room for the BB to rattle inside the track therefore you get no rattle.

For outdoors I have real and low (68 rnd) caps that I use. Keep in mind that you do not have to load a mag to it's full capacity so you can load a mid cap (120 round) to 30 or 68 rounds if you want or anything in between. So mid caps are probably the most versatile mags which is what I suggest you pick up, either that or low caps (68 rnd).

If you have a hi-cap it's OK to use for the first few games since you probably don't have too much stuff but it's a really good idea to pick up some more mags for future games.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 14:48   #8
Conker

Lowcaps FTW

But I guess... it depends on your style of play. I'm a milsim guy, so I hate people with hicaps and I'd never use one myself. If you want to play like in video games... you're probably a hicap skirmish guy.
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 15:08   #9
coach
aka coachster

midcaps and lowcaps for me.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 16:01   #10
-Trooper-
a.k.a. Egria

I like using low caps.
A) It doesn't rattle
B) I actually get to reload my weapon
C) I get to use my secondary
D) It keeps people from spraying

PURVEYOR OF FINE PARACORD PRODUCTS

www.beaconconceptsco.com

Click Here For ASC Thread

Team GHOSTS - G86
-Trooper- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 16:06   #11
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

I also use 68 round lowcaps.
I don't understand how people can use "real" caps (30 rounds) because you get a lot more stopping power out of a bullet than you would with a tiny ass BB.
Hicaps just turn whatever you're using into an LMG, and makes the game insta-lame.

Conclusion; lowcaps!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 21:48   #12
m102404
Tys

"stopping power"? don't get what you mean. Unless your rules are different from most...it's one hit and your dead (or wounded, then dead...depending on the game). One BB stops a guy just as well as 30 if you hit them.

real caps work fine if:
- everyone is using them (even level playing field then)
- all the players are "sensitive" to taking a hit and are conditioned enough to call it immediately

I've played more than a few real cap games and it's a great blast. The pucker factor goes right through the roof when you start running out of mags...or are wondering if you have enough rounds left if someone came around the corner right then and there.

I've seen guys soak up hit after hit...and then clue in that they got hit. It's common to get jazzed up and not feel things. But I've also been at some great games where all the guys immediately call a hit, even "maybe I didn't get hit" shots just because they weren't sure.

When everyone's really ammo limited it pretty much ends the "I'll stay put and snipe at a guy from here" type of play...no one has enough ammo to do that for long. If you're blasting away at nothing...you'll quickly find yourself outgunned when crunch time comes.

Also...everyone tends to switch to semi...and that seems to make people aim and be more careful with their shots. Instead of unleashing a 10 shot burst someone's way in the hopes of hitting them...people will pick their shots and conserve ammo.

I can't recommend it highly enough...at the next game suggest that everyone load to 33-35 rounds (accounting for some lost in the hopup) and play a round. See if guys like the action and game play better.

Last edited by m102404; February 3rd, 2010 at 21:50..
Old February 3rd, 2010, 23:25   #13
Ballcancer

I agree with the low caps.... at the last soldier gear game (CQB) I decided to load my mid caps with around 40 rounds(ish) x 5 mags... and put 12 rounds in my pistol mags (actual capacity for the RS counterpart)... all I have to say is its an absolute blast .. really makes you S**T your pants when you are left wondering how many rounds are left when manuervering in tight quarters.
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:58   #14
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

Yeah, I guess I didn't word that the best.

The majority of the times when we play, there is a lot of brush in the field. The target can be a relatively short distance away, but the brush that you're trying to shoot through makes your shots all wonky, so you need more shots to make up for it.

Kind of like a stock AEG is more "accurate" than a stock sniper rifle, because it can send more shots down range. I'm not trying to promote spray n' pray or anything, it's just that you need a few more shots when you're outdoors than what realcaps usually offer. Lowcaps seem to be the happy medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
"stopping power"? don't get what you mean. Unless your rules are different from most...it's one hit and your dead (or wounded, then dead...depending on the game). One BB stops a guy just as well as 30 if you hit them.

real caps work fine if:
- everyone is using them (even level playing field then)
- all the players are "sensitive" to taking a hit and are conditioned enough to call it immediately

I've played more than a few real cap games and it's a great blast. The pucker factor goes right through the roof when you start running out of mags...or are wondering if you have enough rounds left if someone came around the corner right then and there.

I've seen guys soak up hit after hit...and then clue in that they got hit. It's common to get jazzed up and not feel things. But I've also been at some great games where all the guys immediately call a hit, even "maybe I didn't get hit" shots just because they weren't sure.

When everyone's really ammo limited it pretty much ends the "I'll stay put and snipe at a guy from here" type of play...no one has enough ammo to do that for long. If you're blasting away at nothing...you'll quickly find yourself outgunned when crunch time comes.

Also...everyone tends to switch to semi...and that seems to make people aim and be more careful with their shots. Instead of unleashing a 10 shot burst someone's way in the hopes of hitting them...people will pick their shots and conserve ammo.

I can't recommend it highly enough...at the next game suggest that everyone load to 33-35 rounds (accounting for some lost in the hopup) and play a round. See if guys like the action and game play better.
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:29   #15
m102404
Tys

Gotcha...yeah, I think I'm in indoor CQB mode right now and didn't think of it that way.

Tys
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank