Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

"High-capactiy" 1911 magazines (Wilson Combat style)

:

Accessories Discussion

Old January 5th, 2010, 13:43   #1

Question "High-capactiy" 1911 magazines (Wilson Combat style)

Hi all,

I've always been a fan of the hi-capacity Wilson Combat 1911 magazines.

Picture for reference:

I've been thinking about making a limited run of these mags to be compatible with the Tokyo Marui 1911A1/MEU series GBB pistols, and their clones.

In order to make this a reality, I need to know there is enough interest for these mags, and I also am looking for a like-minded individual who can assist with plastics molding for the base-plate of these mags. If you are that individual, please email me at mr.subtle@6mm-mag.com.

I should note that these will not drastically increase the capacity of the mag, maybe only 10 rounds max - and that's also subject to gas consumption. These mags would likely be for "looks" and the sexy-factor.

So, what say you? Yay? Or nay?

808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 14:11   #2
ShelledPants

Neat. Price pending, and quality assured, I'd be interested in a few of these. I've always liked the look.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 14:16   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
...Price pending, and quality assured...
Agreed.

I can get the price down by fabricating a lot of them. But therein lies the risk. If I can't sell them, I'm screwed.

Initial thoughts on these would be to make them a replacement or "upgrade" kit for any existing TM/1911 mag, where the customer would have to use the feed lips, valves, spring, and follower from an original 1911 mag.

That would drastically cut the cost, and still give people the look they are going for.

Old January 5th, 2010, 14:26   #4
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
Agreed.

I can get the price down by fabricating a lot of them. But therein lies the risk. If I can't sell them, I'm screwed.

Initial thoughts on these would be to make them a replacement or "upgrade" kit for any existing TM/1911 mag, where the customer would have to use the feed lips, valves, spring, and follower from an original 1911 mag.

That would drastically cut the cost, and still give people the look they are going for.
While I understand that to be a selling point for your kit, the price point for the user is still high as they would need the technical capability, resources to swap the mag internals, and a TM donor mag.

If you could include the parts with the kit (ordered in bulk from Japan), it would save the user money down the line.

Just bouncing the ideas.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 14:27   #5
MoreToasties
Art affectionado

Yay.

MoreToasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 15:18   #6
RacingManiac

Would the stock spring have enough tension still to feed reliably at a more "relaxed" state?

As I said on GGI though, I'd be all for this. One of the area where the TM single stack is lacking is a variety of mags. For WA they have the long mag, compact and sub-compact mag....maybe then someone can make a compact TM 1911 metal kit...and have mag for it....

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 15:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
Would the stock spring have enough tension still to feed reliably at a more "relaxed" state?

As I said on GGI though, I'd be all for this. One of the area where the TM single stack is lacking is a variety of mags. For WA they have the long mag, compact and sub-compact mag....maybe then someone can make a compact TM 1911 metal kit...and have mag for it....
On the prototype I created, I used a stock KJW mag/follower spring and it worked fine.

Ideally, I'd love to be able to offer a complete mag, and I will strive to do so - but the $$$ will be higher unless I can get a line on low-cost (but reliable) components.

I should note that I refuse to make a product that is inferior to a stock TM magazine, and if it means only experienced or intermediate users can assemble them for the time-being - I think that's a trade-off us experienced users would be willing to make. Like I said - at least for the immediate future.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Also - 1911 mags are not very difficult to assemble/disassemble. The only issue I can foresee, would be the inclusion of a valve-key; For both the fill-valve and the output-valve. Which is easy enough to machine.

Great comments so far everyone - keep them coming. Your feedback is very valuable.

Old January 5th, 2010, 16:09   #8
MoreToasties
Art affectionado

Define 'higher'.

Like TM higher, or like WA higher?

If it's not TOO much I would be very interested in the full mags.

MoreToasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 16:19   #9
Slono
Slow mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
Hi all,

I've always been a fan of the hi-capacity Wilson Combat 1911 magazines.

Picture for reference:

I've been thinking about making a limited run of these mags to be compatible with the Tokyo Marui 1911A1/MEU series GBB pistols, and their clones.

In order to make this a reality, I need to know there is enough interest for these mags, and I also am looking for a like-minded individual who can assist with plastics molding for the base-plate of these mags. If you are that individual, please email me at mr.subtle@6mm-mag.com.

I should note that these will not drastically increase the capacity of the mag, maybe only 10 rounds max - and that's also subject to gas consumption. These mags would likely be for "looks" and the sexy-factor.

So, what say you? Yay? Or nay?
Because the mags are longer, does that definitely mean the capacity for gas is higher as well? And by measuring the insides, you wouldn't happen to know (by %) how much larger the gas reservoir is would you?

I am interested, as long as the price isn't too much. I enjoy the looks, but also want a boost in gas capacity and I'm hoping the price would be reasonable for the gain in performance. Since they're custom units, however, it might be unreasonable to expect something like that. I suppose I'll wait for an official price tag before I say "I am willing to pay for one".

The idea is definitely amazing. YAY.

Edit: I used to think extended mags were buckfutt ugly, but they've grown on my incredibly. I still like standard sized mags because they fit perfectly in the gun, but the extended ones yell "the bigger the better".

Last edited by Slono; January 5th, 2010 at 18:30..
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 16:30   #10
RacingManiac

Added incentive, the Magpul Dynamic dudes were both running Wilson Combat long mags on their 1911s for the Carbine II DVD...

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
Old January 5th, 2010, 16:51   #11
BadMrFrosty

I do recall seeing that Racing Maniac.

I would be interested in the custom high capacity mags. I would probably want a pair for sure, more if the cost is low enough.

If the gas capacity is good enough 808, perhaps we could test them in my Vickers Custom.
Old January 5th, 2010, 17:50   #12
hattrick
NAAZ's #1 fan!

Send a message via MSN to hattrick
Nay. Not only is it 'not my thing' I personally think it looks stupid.

Not to mention the gain would be VERY minimal from the looks of it.

Not even sure how your going to bypass the the notch on the front of the mag with the bb follower....are you just going to leave it out? Now you've got the purist's complaining! Just seems like if you really want one, go with WesternArms......

maybe not from this .. and probably not today... but I assure you, you will die

Last edited by hattrick; January 5th, 2010 at 17:54..
hattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 19:00   #13
johnnyrico

It is always difficult to please everyone, and purists will always come out of the woodwork to point out something...

But there are quite a few TM 1911 variants out there and anyone who games their 1911's would almost certainly want the extra gas capacity.

As for the looks, I rock my KWA PTP with the 32 round mags out the bottom. They stick out an extra inch or so, but the extra gas and bb capacity is what did it for me. Some people will like the extra mag sticking out the bottom looks wise, others won't but it would be great if people had the option at least!

I would say go for it!

But that is easy for me, as I do not have any 1911's and I would not buy these as a result. The only thing I would be concerned about is as long as TM does not have any longer mags in the works themselves...

It would really suck to do all the prototype work and designing only to have TM come out with it a few months later and take a lot of the market share...

I do not think that TM is doing that, nor would they be interested in doing that. The TM Hicapa was out forever and they did not make an extended mag for it until they came out with the extreme full auto version. So I don't think TM will bother making an extended longer mag for the 1911's. It would be more of a niche market I would say.

But then again what the hell do I know! lol

"When just seconds can mean life or death, the police are just minutes away"

"If you can read this, thank a teacher... Since it's in English, thank a soldier"
johnnyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 19:41   #14
RacingManiac

I think the gas capacity of the TM 1911 was so small to startwith, any gain(and percentge-gain would not be insignificant since you are starting with so little) would be useful for the gas efficiency.....I doubt though the mag "needs" to carry more BB, since standard MEU mag carries 28 round(and on propane its tough to shoot all of it even with stock gun), if the extra gas lets you shoot at least that much reliably than its a gain on my book....

1911 is such a custom platform IMO that it can always do with more "option"....

I think a TM OEM extended mag is not impossible, but before that happens this would still be an interesting product for me...

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
Old January 5th, 2010, 21:31   #15
SDU_Phil

depending on the cost, i'd be up for a stack and some of these =)
更願永不折腰

大丈夫一生要經過困難磨練共多少
大丈夫一生要幾次落魄失望與心焦
冷雨狂風歷盡人格更光耀  立地頂天男子心裡磊落不折腰
SDU_Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion