Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Thermal Lens questions

:

Accessories Discussion

Old July 26th, 2016, 17:58   #1
devbro

Thermal Lens questions

Meow

I have been eyeing to buy a thermal lens for my Desert Locust Goggle. As I was reading reviews, some people claimed that the seal on them go caput in about 4 month.

Does anyone has these lens and knows if that is the case or not? If fixing these the seals is possible and worth the try or not?
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 19:16   #2
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by devbro View Post
Meow

I have been eyeing to buy a thermal lens for my Desert Locust Goggle. As I was reading reviews, some people claimed that the seal on them go caput in about 4 month.

Does anyone has these lens and knows if that is the case or not? If fixing these the seals is possible and worth the try or not?
I'm interested where you heard about the seals failing from. Im currently running thermal lenses in my Revisions, and they are roughly at the 4 month mark.

Unless the air space in-between the lenses is vacuum sealed or filled with a heavier gas like argon (and I can't find this info anywhere online), the degradation of the seals, in theory, shouldn't make any difference.

Seals generally fail and leak overtime, regardless of how good they were to begin with. If the space in-between the lenses is only filled with air at the factory, the loss of the seal won't have any affect on goggle performance, since the U value (thermal transmittance though the lens) of the lens hasn't changed. If the lens is actually vacuum sealed or filled with a heavy gas from the factory, the degradation of the seal would mean regular air has infiltrated the lens, and the U value has increased allowing heat to move through the lens more-easily, and in turn making it more likely for condensation to occur on the inside of your goggles.

With all that being said, even if you get a leak in the gasket or it fails overtime, having a dual-lens with a poor seal will always be better than a single lens, because... Thermodynamics.

I hope that's not too confusing...

*Busy signing for his packages*
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 19:17   #3
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
The lenses are like 20-30 bucks. Just get a new one when it does. And no...when the seal goes its like peeling off a phone screen protector then trying to put it back on perfectly.

Mine lasted....probably about a season before the seal gave out. Had no issues with fogging...mind I used those in conjunction with fog tech wipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 19:18   #4
AnthonyG
LUser Title

So wait... The inner pane will actually de-laminate?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Old July 26th, 2016, 19:29   #5
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
No idea, I was playing and then suddenly there was a visual spot on my lenses that got bigger and bigger and then condensation got inside.

Ripped the lense off and kept playing with the front pane still intact with no further issues.

In other words...when the seal goes...just fork out 20 or 30 bucks and get another one. Or get better cardio and stop breathing like a wounded rhino.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 20:30   #6
devbro

i read it in several different reviews one was on amazon.ca i think. I will probably delay my order for now. I really loved the thermal lens on my other paintball mask and it worked awesome.
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 21:07   #7
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

It happens with thermal lenses of all types. Also lenses are a wear item like break pads on your car. Hence their cheapness. The thermals in mine have been working for almost two seasons with no condensation between lenses. Just make sure you go to a retailer who is going to sell you a real lense and also be aware that they are made by the tens of thousands and some will be defective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 05:10   #8
Off_kilter

Had mine for a couple years aND no problems :/
Old August 2nd, 2016, 16:50   #9
danhay

My Revision thermal lens is at the 3.5 year mark with no issues at all.
danhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 19:23   #10
AnthonyG
LUser Title

I'd be more concerned about scratches. My thermal lens is still good, but I managed to put quite a significant scratch in one of my non-thermal lenses, it probably happened while loose in my gear bag.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion