Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

VSR-10 Upgrade Advice - Zero-Trigger or Not?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old March 13th, 2016, 17:15   #1
ao_tenshi

VSR-10 Upgrade Advice - Zero-Trigger or Not?

hey guys,

I'm building a sniper rifle using a base TM VSR10 G-Spec. Wanted some advice from those with experience upgrading this gun. Im doing the upgrade slow (not in a rush to build a super gun) due to lack of experience with parts compatibility and short on funding.

Upgrade 1 (already ordered):
- Action Army Hop-Up Chamber (clone of Laylax) to fix the right-drift issue- didnt want to drill the gun for TDC mod and didnt want to tinker with shim mod.
- Laylax PSS10 SP130 spring (looking for 400-450fps, dont plan on going +500fps as few fields would allow it...)

I guess my main question is, do I "NEED" the zero-trigger if I'm planning on staying between 400-450fps. I've read a whole bunch of guides, some suggest trigger is the first upgrade, while others suggest upgrade to Deepfire sears would be enough.

Also, what else would you suggest as absolutely needed upgrades and what parts you would recommend for a budget build?

Thanks in advance!
ao_tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 17:38   #2
Kos-Mos

Yes, you NEED a new trigger if you want to shoot over 280fps.

Zero is an option.
You can also get a V-trigger (I hate it, but the travel is short, break is really sharp, but pull is heavy).

And a piston, you need a piston.

You could even leave the stock spring instead. FPS is not the end.
Replace the inner and rubber with some good quality steel barrel. 6.01 is useless, it just jams more often and requires more maintenance. Better leave the stock TM 6.08 than install a cheap 6.01.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 19:08   #3
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

You could get away with just stainless sears. They are cheap and I run them with 500 fps without issue. Still on my set from 2009. Deepfire first and seccond sears are the ones I'm using.
And agreed, fps isn't the end all and be all for range and accuracy with the vsr. Good ammo and barrel group are key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 19:39   #4
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
You could get away with just stainless sears. They are cheap and I run them with 500 fps without issue. Still on my set from 2009. Deepfire first and seccond sears are the ones I'm using.
And agreed, fps isn't the end all and be all for range and accuracy with the vsr. Good ammo and barrel group are key.
I really liked the "SPEED" sear set. (Not in my gun, installed for someone).
But the stock ones are not an option.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 20:03   #5
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

Most often the side spin is caused by a misaligned or bad hop-up rubber. You probably don't need to upgrade the hop-up chamber, only the hop-up rubber.

You could also look into a Danger Werx or Airsoft pro hop-up arm lever. Not only will this help you use heavy BBs, it might also fix the side spin issue for really cheap:

http://airsoftpro.cz/eshop/product_i...oducts_id=2928

Also, on the zero trigger VS v-trigger issue, the zero trigger has a nicer pull, but the V-trigger has spare parts available direct from PDI. Pick your poison, both are good units.

If you're on a budget, keep the stock inner barrel. It's very good for a brass barrel, clean it thoroughly and keep it clean and it will serve. A good barrel such as a Laylax or a PDI will help accuracy some, but its the most expensive upgrade for not a lot of gain compared to other parts. I'd do it last when you have more funds available. You'll get a lot more bang for your bucks from a good hop-up rubber, hop-up lever arm and piston.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 22:41   #6
ao_tenshi

Thanks for all the inputs guys! I was debating the Deepfire sears (~$50cad) vs the AA zero trigger (comes with alu piston ~$200cad).

Hectic: thats amazing you're running 500fps with the Deepfire sears and stock trigger. What other upgrades are in your build on top of stock parts?

I agree that fps is mot my end all goal, the 400-450fps is just my target at the end. My focus is in order of importance: accuracy, reliability, budget, noise

Drakker: if I install the AA hopup chamber, would i still need an aftermrket arm? I agree with you that the barrel will be my last upgrade as i think the stock barrel is ok for now, also still debating the length of the barrel if i were to upgrade.

Is the stock hop rubber ok for now? I heard tm rubber is not too bad.
Old March 13th, 2016, 22:44   #7
ao_tenshi

I was checking out the link to Airsoftpro Drakker sent. wanted to see if anyone has experience with:

Airsoftpro cylinder head, cylinder, and spring guide
Also how are those SHS first and second sears?

Last edited by ao_tenshi; March 13th, 2016 at 22:47..
Old March 14th, 2016, 00:45   #8
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Build has varied over the years but currently it's a
TM vsr pro hunter
Laylax piston, cylinder, hop up unit (arm modified with an aeg hup nub), spring guide and spring (a 150 I think.)
Home made barrel spacers made with laylax spacers as a base and some tape.
Stock TM trigger with the deep fire sears.
I've considered the zero trigger but with the stock one adjusted to a near hair pull it's not really needed imo.
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old March 14th, 2016, 06:14   #9
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

Make sure the AA chamber uses VSR type barrels otherwise you'll need a new aeg barrel to go with the chamber. Action army parts vary in quality. Some reviews praise them other basically state they are garbage. I have the AA teflon cylinder and after a year it has started bending. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to use it. My PDI cylinder works much better, but with its metal piston and funnel cylinder head it is very noisy on a G-Spec.

About the airsoftpro parts. Reviews state that they are great for the price. But the cylinder head is old style PDI which doesn't work well in some hop-up chambers.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 07:58   #10
ao_tenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post
Make sure the AA chamber uses VSR type barrels otherwise you'll need a new aeg barrel to go with the chamber. Action army parts vary in quality. Some reviews praise them other basically state they are garbage. I have the AA teflon cylinder and after a year it has started bending. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to use it. My PDI cylinder works much better, but with its metal piston and funnel cylinder head it is very noisy on a G-Spec.

About the airsoftpro parts. Reviews state that they are great for the price. But the cylinder head is old style PDI which doesn't work well in some hop-up chambers.
Sounds like AA is hit and miss I will take it slow and do the upgrades bit by bit with thorough research before jumping on. Now Im thinking maybe spend a bit extra and go for laylax parts.
Old March 14th, 2016, 08:03   #11
ao_tenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
Build has varied over the years but currently it's a
TM vsr pro hunter
Laylax piston, cylinder, hop up unit (arm modified with an aeg hup nub), spring guide and spring (a 150 I think.)
Home made barrel spacers made with laylax spacers as a base and some tape.
Stock TM trigger with the deep fire sears.
I've considered the zero trigger but with the stock one adjusted to a near hair pull it's not really needed imo.
Hey Hectic, that sounds like a sweet build. What BB weight do you use with your setup? Also Would you mind elaborating on your trigger adjustments? Did you have to physically mod the trigger or more adjusting the tigger setting screws in the stock trigger assembly?
Old March 14th, 2016, 09:22   #12
Hectic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao_tenshi View Post
Hey Hectic, that sounds like a sweet build. What BB weight do you use with your setup? Also Would you mind elaborating on your trigger adjustments? Did you have to physically mod the trigger or more adjusting the tigger setting screws in the stock trigger assembly?
That's correct adjusting of the stock trigger setting. Basically I have mine so it has about a 1mm pull (maybe even a little shorter) and it's a dream. It takes maybe 1.5lb to pull it so it's prety easy and fast to shoot.

My bb weight will varry depending on a few factors.
Most important would be engagement ranges.
If the field I'm playing is either unfamiliar to me or I know there are limited long sight lines I will run .36 as they will shed energy a little quicker allowing me to make some shots within my MED safely.
If it's a big wide open field or its windy or extremely humid I will run .40 or even .43 so I can reach out a little farther and to combat the loss in energy from heavy/humid air and to help be stable in breezy conditions.
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old March 14th, 2016, 10:32   #13
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I much prefer the V trigger over the zero trigger.
Short pull, clean and crisp break.
Zero trigger has a longer pull and very hard to tell where the break is.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 13:35   #14
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao_tenshi View Post
Thanks for all the inputs guys! I was debating the Deepfire sears (~$50cad) vs the AA zero trigger (comes with alu piston ~$200cad).

Hectic: thats amazing you're running 500fps with the Deepfire sears and stock trigger. What other upgrades are in your build on top of stock parts?

I agree that fps is mot my end all goal, the 400-450fps is just my target at the end. My focus is in order of importance: accuracy, reliability, budget, noise

Drakker: if I install the AA hopup chamber, would i still need an aftermrket arm? I agree with you that the barrel will be my last upgrade as i think the stock barrel is ok for now, also still debating the length of the barrel if i were to upgrade.

Is the stock hop rubber ok for now? I heard tm rubber is not too bad.
The SPEED sear set is well designed unit with triple pin support for added strength. It is made in Canada if it matters.

http://www.torontoairsoft.com/Speed-...up_p_3742.html

Last edited by SuperHog; March 14th, 2016 at 19:32..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 20:06   #15
ao_tenshi

ok, i think Im going to try the Deepfire sears as oppose to to the zero trigger route.

Any recommendation for piston? Im eyeing the laylax red, which SHOULD fit with the stock vsr10 with the upgraded sears... I hope lol
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications