Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

1x Magnification Mildot Scope?

:

Accessories Discussion

Old February 22nd, 2015, 17:25   #1
Datawraith

Question 1x Magnification Mildot Scope?

Hey all; I feel like getting a new optic, but I'm getting sick of Aimpoints and EOTechs (please don't hate too hard).

I've always liked scopes that have the filaments in them, but most of those are magnified and I'm mainly a cqb player.

So basically, I am looking for this: a 1x magnification scope with filaments (preferably with a mildot reticle) in a red dot sight or ACOG form factor (not a rifle scope form factor).

On Frank's website (TA) there's one that kinda has what I'm looking for titled "NCStar SPR Mount with Octagon 1.1-4X20 - MIL-DOT".
My problems with it:
1) it's in a rifle scope form factor; I play a lot of cqb, so I would need a better field of vision and eye relief
2) it's ugly as fck
3) it's a NCStar (can live with the brand if I must...)

Another example that's probably a lot closer to what I'm looking for is a SpectreDR.
Problems with it:
1) either 1x/4x zoom or only 4x (I like the variable zoom, but it's a lot of $$$ and I heard the eye relief isn't great, while 4x just doesn't work for cqb)
2) it uses a very messy reticle, not mildot (I could use the reticle, but I just like the basic mildot a ton better)
3) consensus here and elsewhere is that the 1x-4x sucks in general due to a variety of reasons

I sound really picky... but if I'm spending money on an optic, I should be liking it right?

Open to suggestions and alternatives.

Thanks a lot!
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 17:53   #2
brock0

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for, because as described it doesn't exist.

Sounds like you want a 1x mildot piece of glass, which would be silly I think. At 1x the mildot won't be any better than a red dot. You'd have to go variable zoom "rifle scope" for what it sounds like you want.

Last edited by brock0; February 22nd, 2015 at 17:57..
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 18:07   #3
Datawraith

It seriously doesn't exist...?

I personally like mildots a lot better than a red dot. The mildots allow you to keep note of the position of where you are tracking your target when you are leading them, thus allowing for the ability to make the same shot if need be. A red dot has only the edges and the dot itself for reference (EOTechs kind of have a reference if you use the MOA ring, but it's not quite the same).

I would like to avoid the rifle scope form factor completely due to reasons stated previously.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 18:40   #4
Danke

So you want iron sights but with some glass?
Old February 22nd, 2015, 18:46   #5
brock0

You could always draw an X on your aimpoint and keep it turned off I guess.

The closest I can think of would be a 1x pistol scope, it might have a reticle closer to what you want but it's still of the "scope" form factor.

Preference is one thing but how much tracking are you doing in cqb where your target is running so fast left to right that you need to lead them that way and will mentally mark that position using the mildot for a relatable follow up? Not too many times, otherwise I feel confident that 1x Mildots would become standard with the brave souls on the frontline.

Last edited by brock0; February 22nd, 2015 at 18:58..
Old February 22nd, 2015, 18:55   #6
chaz

Would a set of IronDots work for what you are looking for?
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 19:14   #7
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

I know of some 1x optics but they have some type of variable zoom and are pretty pricey as they're real steel.

I think the closest you can get is a reflex sight with different reticles, unfortunately I don't know of any with a mil-dot style reticle but I like the AIM sports operator reflex sight.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 19:22   #8
Datawraith

@Danke and @ chaz: uhh, not exactly... I have BUIS, and they are REALLY nice, but I'd like something that I can use to track instead of just target aquisition, otherwise I'd just use an EOTech cowitnessed with my BUIS.

@brock0: I thought about that, but as far as I know, Sharpie doesn't stay on the lens of an Aimpoint, plus it's not quite the same as a filament wire. Although... maybe a cheap open reflex sight with some way of making the crosshairs look semi-professional? Ideas on that?
As for the tracking, very true, but I happen to camp... a lot... from up high... shooting at a fairly wide space (not necessarily open). When they run from cover, tracking with an EOTech sucks, cause the MOA ring gets in the way, and Aimpoint just has no reference.
As for those brave souls on the front lines, airsoft or real steel? Airsoft front liners close in on targets moving from cover to cover, so they snap up their rifles and need fast target aquisition, not tracking. Real steel is mainly in the field, not cqb, so most of their optics are magnified (and quite a few of those scopes use a mildot system).
Old February 22nd, 2015, 19:31   #9
brock0

Haha both batches of front liners I suppose.

You might have some luck with a 1x hunting scope (Leopould used to make one) that might fit the bill, but being for real steel will be pricey.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 19:56   #10
Danke

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 20:49   #11
Lip
Hates Vulcans

Have you looked into Vision King?
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 21:12   #12
Rossco66

Have you tried the new fangled optic about 2/3 up your face. Using both eye open aiming is amazing at tracking a target. Practice aiming down the side of your rifle and you won't need any kind of 1X optic other than your peepers.

The price of free is exceptional as well.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 21:24   #13
chaz

chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 21:35   #14
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
Have you looked into Vision King?
No go, it's too "scope" shaped. Something formed like a triceratops would be ideal
Old February 24th, 2015, 17:22   #15
BattleBorn

What about something like this:

It gives you a few different reticules to choose from?!

I've NEVER heard of a 1x scope that has a mildot system!
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion