Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Refurbish gun as first gun?

:

Newbie Tank

Old September 21st, 2013, 09:53   #1
ManuGod

Refurbish gun as first gun?

Hi!

So, I'm about to buy my first airsoft during winter (so I can take part to a game around April and also get age verified), and I have this question.
I got a tight budget for a first overall equipment+gun which is around $500-$600. All that to ask this,

As a first gun and with a limited budget, can I trust a refurbished gun like this one for exemple? ( https://www.buyairsoft.ca/deals/refu...sportline.html )

Or should I go with something new, that I could easily resell in the Classified once I'm age verified in case I end up not liking or not having time to airsoft? (Highly doubt it).

I hope you can help me clarify this

Have a nice day!

-Murphy's war law-

///////////////////
ManuGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 10:21   #2
Drake
E-01

Your budget isn't bad, but I'd recommend waiting until you're AV'd and checking out the classifieds if you're gonna buy used. Honestly, you'll probably find something much better quality for a similar price.

CA Sportsline stuff isn't really the best quality.
Old September 21st, 2013, 10:33   #3
ManuGod

This is interesting to know. I'll look at new guns then and wait until I get AV to look for used ones.

Thank you

-Murphy's war law-

///////////////////
Old September 21st, 2013, 11:10   #4
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Getting age verified also gives you access to certain retailers on this site.
Honestly your budget is very good and you'll be able to get a very good starter gun.
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 15:15   #5
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Get age verified. $300 can get you a solid starter platform (NEW!), and still leave you some cash for magazines, batteries, and upgrades. That's a great starter budget, but save a little more over winter, you'll want comfortable safety eyewear, comfortable and supportive footwear, and some basic tactical gear to hide you, carry your stuff, and make the whole game a better experience.
Old September 21st, 2013, 15:34   #6
ManuGod

Well the budget I stated was for more or less this,

- Footwear
- Elbow/Knee protection
- Vest+Few pouches
- Good gloves
- A nice hat
- Gun + 1 or 2 mags and spare batteries
- New eye protection (If the one I already have do not do in the end)

I think I should have stated it at first sorry about that.

In the end I'm going for a solid quality/price starter kit to give airsoft a solid test in spring (+AV) to see if I like it enough to give a good investment over time (Which I no doubt I will)

-Murphy's war law-

///////////////////

Last edited by ManuGod; September 21st, 2013 at 15:38..
Old September 21st, 2013, 15:55   #7
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

You're definitely off to a great start compared with many new players, but no ones budget will ever go as far as they think.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:44   #8
augherk

you'll want a set of at least 5 magazines, especially if you're running midcaps. That said, if you enjoy maracas, go with what you like
augherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:12   #9
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Your budget isn't bad, but I'd recommend waiting until you're AV'd and checking out the classifieds if you're gonna buy used. Honestly, you'll probably find something much better quality for a similar price.

CA Sportsline stuff isn't really the best quality.
Side note: CTAUs are actually JG rebrands, not CA.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:14   #10
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

600$ is stretching it for your shopping list I think.

Even if you find a 300$ gun good safe eyepro is around 100$ after it's in your hands.

kneepads are a good idea.. elbowpads are not needed.

2-3 extra magazines if you're using high caps are around 50-60 bucks

You might be able to sneak in around 600... don't be surprised if you're around 800 all said and done.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:20   #11
TurlteRaph

If you have a good pair of hiking boots, you will be okay.

Also try your local Craigslist. I have gotten good deals buying from some of those sellers..

Last edited by TurlteRaph; October 2nd, 2013 at 12:40..
TurlteRaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:28   #12
Sequential

First airsoft is not an investment. It is a money pit that keeps getting larger and larger and larger. But that all depends on how serious you are for the sport.

I would say budget yourself 1000$ for everything all said in done.
One primary, secondary and some good equipment to last you many games.
Why I say "good equipment" is because depending on your playing style your gear will take some amount of damage.
Plus if you go with an electric gun, you are going to need a special charger to charge the few batteries you have.

Getting into the sport is something you might want to reconsider if you are tight on money. You could always buy the gun first, but if you don't have the gear you will always not be able to go out and play.

Unless you are buying high end guns like Tokyo Marui and up, don't expect any of the cheaper AEGs to hold its value.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:36   #13
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

nothing holds its value, your shit is only worth as much as the next guy is willing to pay for it. prices are over inflated on the used market in this country in particular. the only reason tm holds it's value here is because some vendors are charging 4x japanese retail price to get it here so selling it at 2-3x retail used doesn't look as bad after the savage assraping the initial cost was.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:52   #14
Chillyrabbit

Also I know this is in disagreement with some other people.

But your first airsoft gun doesn't have to be your last one. Pick up a good affordable cheap one, which sure it might not last 10 years but it will at least hold out for a season or 2. and once you get a feel of what you liked and disliked about it you can make a much more informed decision later and also pay the bigger bucks to get exactly what you want. And then buy a ultra/super/high quality made gun that will last 10 years that you can throw all your upgrades on.

Plus you never know you might spend 1k getting into the sport and go "it's not for me" and quit.
Chillyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 13:11   #15
Sequential

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
nothing holds its value, your shit is only worth as much as the next guy is willing to pay for it. prices are over inflated on the used market in this country in particular. the only reason tm holds it's value here is because some vendors are charging 4x japanese retail price to get it here so selling it at 2-3x retail used doesn't look as bad after the savage assraping the initial cost was.
From the start I mentioned that airsoft isnt an investment and it is not a sport one might want to get into if they don't have much money laying around. I didn't mean that TM holds it value more, I was just trying to say that TM's are easier to be resold unlike the other craptastic AEGs on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillyrabbit View Post
Also I know this is in disagreement with some other people.

But your first airsoft gun doesn't have to be your last one. Pick up a good affordable cheap one, which sure it might not last 10 years but it will at least hold out for a season or 2. and once you get a feel of what you liked and disliked about it you can make a much more informed decision later and also pay the bigger bucks to get exactly what you want. And then buy a ultra/super/high quality made gun that will last 10 years that you can throw all your upgrades on.

Plus you never know you might spend 1k getting into the sport and go "it's not for me" and quit.
I'd say this sounds like a good way to start also. You don't necessarily need to buy a good quality gun, but if you are dead certain that airsoft is for you then don't start off on the wrong foot.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank