Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

toned down bangs?

:

Accessories Discussion

Old May 28th, 2005, 16:07   #1
swatt13
Captain Awesome

toned down bangs?

So I had this brain wave thinking how awsome it would be do do a swat sim where you get to use bangs minus the whole burning the retina thing.
Anybody "use to date the pyrotechnics guy from white snake" and know if you could make a safe toned down flash bang applicable for cqb sim?
Im sure the little budle of crckers would suffice, but a little realism would be nice. if your just going to flame, why bother? theres other forums where you can do that like, "go to hell" im sure im not the only one whos wondered about this.
swatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 16:21   #2
Gryphon

Except in other forums they're not asking stupid questions about doing illegal things.

http://www.kaboomfireworks.com/nv-bombbag.html

They are as loud as a firecracker, readily available, safe, cheap, and legal.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 16:27   #3
Mikeman_4_ever

woh boy, strong talk. there are other forums for flaming...but what's wrong with this one
anyways, in all seriousness you could use crackers, but i'd advise against it as the last thing you want is to toss it around a corner and have it blow a players toe off. i know there are mines out there which can be loaded with the lil brass eagle CO2 cartridges as warning devices, maybe mod out one of those.
to be honest though i really don't see the work as being worth it. not to torch or anything, but think about it. the whole point of flash-bangs and the like are to dissoriant and disrupt the opposition and render them unable to fight. you sneak up on a room full of players in a game and throw one of these into the room...
granted you'll get bonus marks for realism, but at the same time you'll be busting through the door with all their barrels pointed right at you.
Old May 28th, 2005, 16:48   #4
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Unles every one in the room get their hands over their hears... Allowing you a split secont to enter and shoot.

I made some test before building my "flash bang - flash" grenade. Firecrakers in CQB building are terribly loud. I would not use them in echo places. After one shot, people WILL cover their ears if they see one tumbling in the room.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 17:23   #5
Osss-10

Even just the distractoin might be worth it, or you could do an honor system where players have to shut their eyes for a moment etc.

There are also things called "party snaps"... they are little pea-sized pods of paper filled with bits of flint and powder or something.... you just throw them and they pop pretty loudly when they hit something.... no danger, no fire, kinda like caps that you can just throw. If you attach a bunch or open the pods and fill a napkin up you could get a large sound with no danger or igniting required.
Old May 28th, 2005, 18:43   #6
pokey

Send a message via MSN to pokey
or, you could somehow take a disposable camera, set it up so you can throw it and set it off in a room via a timer or something else, the flash would harmlessly blind the op-for in the other room if you were playing in dim-dark indoor games, their night visoon would be shit, and all they would see after for a few moments is colorful flashing within their eyes.

my two cents,

--Keenan
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 01:21   #7
Korneil

Send a message via MSN to Korneil
I've ben thinking also to make a flashbang. I thought that using a camera flash or something that could resist the shock when thrown could easily simulate the flash. As for the bang a simple CO2 can would suffice.

Now the problem is, that 1- I am not skilled enough to desing and assemble one and 2- I dont have the equipment to make one...

I need to do more research on how it would be possible to make, in a way that look like a real flash bang

Korneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 18:20   #8
swatt13
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osss-10
Even just the distractoin might be worth it, or you could do an honor system where players have to shut their eyes for a moment etc.

There are also things called "party snaps"... they are little pea-sized pods of paper filled with bits of flint and powder or something.... you just throw them and they pop pretty loudly when they hit something.... no danger, no fire, kinda like caps that you can just throw. If you attach a bunch or open the pods and fill a napkin up you could get a large sound with no danger or igniting required.
ya i think for us, this is the most applicable option, I just wasnt sure if there was somethink like this that fit more the look of a bang. but ya those little crackers would pretty much perfect, they would still startle a guy and focus his attention on that rather than the door way your coming through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven
a Systema PTW is like KD, where the noodles are plated in gold and the cheese sauce is actually a pool of hot naked women.
Old May 31st, 2005, 18:27   #9
swatt13
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey
or, you could somehow take a disposable camera, set it up so you can throw it and set it off in a room via a timer or something else, the flash would harmlessly blind the op-for in the other room if you were playing in dim-dark indoor games, their night visoon would be shit, and all they would see after for a few moments is colorful flashing within their eyes.

my two cents,

--Keenan
Thats actually a really good idea! or even those external flash mechanisms you buy from pharmasave, you push the button and think you have like ten seconds, but theose would work awsome for low light sims, and the crackers would work awsome for high level light conditions. But ya this is the kinda brainstorming i was expecting when I started this thread.
Now we just need to know does everyone/anyone want to use these tactics in a game, and if so we should fab up a prototype a submit it to admins for evaluation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven
a Systema PTW is like KD, where the noodles are plated in gold and the cheese sauce is actually a pool of hot naked women.
Old June 1st, 2005, 18:02   #10
pokey

Send a message via MSN to pokey
That would be super sweet, even better if you could fabricate it so it looked similar to a grenade.

--Keenan
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 19:15   #11
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

I don't expect the flash will be in sinc with the bang.

And how can you make the flash lamp survive the repeited shocks of trowing the grenade on the ground?

Camera flash is not one of my options for a grenade. Too complicated and fragile.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 23:36   #12
-ORG-OrgyMeyer

It's old technology, but you might be able to use something called a flashcube... they were a four sided rotating cube of disposable flashes

Ah there they are... you might be able to use something like that to set flashes off in all directions at once (although they didn't work that way originally)

and they were disposable as well... so you could just load a new one in after you throw the flashbang, wouldn't matter if you broke the flash that way either, as at least one of them is sure to go off...

Whoring those MP5k's like nobody's business....
-ORG-OrgyMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion