Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

should i get hurricane holosight or clones?

:

Accessories Discussion

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:05   #1
Novawarrior1

should i get hurricane holosight or clones?

i have looked all over airsoft canada (maybe im not a good looker) but ive constantly gotten mixed answers stating that the hurricane is superior, then others saying how the $100 replicas are just as good. So im just wondering, is the hurricane replica holographic sight worth the extra cash or should i go with a cheaper model like the King Arms 551?

appreciate it
Novawarrior1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:07   #2
Blitzed

Hurricanes are what, 150? so why take the chance on the clone and pinch out an extra 50 bucks to know what you are going to get, and what you'll get is quality control and great quality.
Blitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:30   #3
juicy

Clones are a bitch. I have 2. One works decently enough, but the mount is funny. The reticle is clear and is fully adjustable, but the lens is dark. No full trades. Clear reticle is a result of my tinkering and swapping circuit board + holographic projector thingy into the adjustable housing. And by tinkering... I mean hours and hours of frustration.

Guess what? $150 out of cash, one working optic that isn't nearly as good as the $150 HurricanE. All things considered... you should probably get the HurricanE over the cheap clones. Not sure about the King Arms one, though. G&P is roughly equivalent to the one I have right now (from videos I've seen).
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:33   #4
Blitzed

The King arms and G&P ones are fine, but it still isnt an "EOTech."
Blitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:26   #5
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
The hurricanes are as close as you can get to a real one without spending $300+
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:02   #6
ShelledPants

If you're going to buy a hurricane, you might as well pony up the extra $100 and buy a used RS. Seriously, because the difference between a RS Eotech and a Hurricane is night and day.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:10   #7
Rugger_can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
If you're going to buy a hurricane, you might as well pony up the extra $100 and buy a used RS. Seriously, because the difference between a RS Eotech and a Hurricane is night and day.
Agreed.. If you bargin hunt you can get a Used Genuine EOTECH sight for less than 300 Used.
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:43   #8
Crunchmeister

I own them all - an "ok" replica, a Hurricane, a Bushnell Holosight (EOtech 502), and EOTech 552.

Cheap ones can do the trick just fine for the most part, but build quality is pretty light duty. On mine, and many others I've seen, the reticle isn't bright enough to use it outdoors on a sunny day.

Hurricanes are nice. A nice, heavy duty build overall, and works well. The down side to me is the really fat reticle that doesn't really look like the real EOTech one, but is easily visible in any lighting condition. My Hurricane, and several others I've heard reports of (I have a review thread comparing them here on ASC) have visible ghosting - worse than the cheap ones.

You can't beat real steel quality in the end. However, you pay for it. I've been a several real EOTechs for sale here in the last couple of years, and I haven't seen a single one under $350, and most are closer to $500. I got lucky and scored mine for $350 shipped.

If you have the money, then real is the way to go, although I would easily say that it's overkill, and if you can get a used Hurricane, that would be the best choice for airsoft.
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:58   #9
kalnaren

I have a clone 552.. and as long as you're not extremely rough with your guns in the field it should hold up ok. The reticle is nice and crisp. However, brightness is an issue as Crunch pointed out. But I got mine for $100 + shipping, so it really comes down to quality vs. cost. I don't game with mine much so I didn't mind the compromises I took, especially for the cheap price I paid.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:14   #10
coach
aka coachster

or if you don't mind poor spelling, lack of the EOTech name and a bit of ghosting, get the DX clone. for $37USD, it's not something I'm going to cry about if it gets shot out. people reviewing the DX version have used them on RS and it has held up fine.

I put mine on the WE PDW. seems to work just fine. if it breaks, I'll just switch back to my aimpoint.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:29   #11
Danke

Same vote as these guys, the real one is that much better, you'll never wash out the reticle on a bright sunny day. The Hurricane has a big led reticle but it can obscure a target and in on a worst scenario day it's a bit faint, and at night if you play then it's a bit bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger_can View Post
Agreed.. If you bargin hunt you can get a Used Genuine EOTECH sight for less than 300 Used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
I own them all - an "ok" replica, a Hurricane, a Bushnell Holosight (EOtech 502), and EOTech 552.

Cheap ones can do the trick just fine for the most part, but build quality is pretty light duty. On mine, and many others I've seen, the reticle isn't bright enough to use it outdoors on a sunny day.

Hurricanes are nice. A nice, heavy duty build overall, and works well. The down side to me is the really fat reticle that doesn't really look like the real EOTech one, but is easily visible in any lighting condition. My Hurricane, and several others I've heard reports of (I have a review thread comparing them here on ASC) have visible ghosting - worse than the cheap ones.

You can't beat real steel quality in the end. However, you pay for it. I've been a several real EOTechs for sale here in the last couple of years, and I haven't seen a single one under $350, and most are closer to $500. I got lucky and scored mine for $350 shipped.

If you have the money, then real is the way to go, although I would easily say that it's overkill, and if you can get a used Hurricane, that would be the best choice for airsoft.
Old June 24th, 2010, 18:12   #12
Novawarrior1

alright thanks for the help guys. For me, i think a $300 sight is just to much. Ill probably go with the hurricane $152 556 version so i can get a magnifier
Novawarrior1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 18:14   #13
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

I've pooched 2 clones on my GBBR.. they can't take the recoil.. the crappy guts just shake apart
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 18:57   #14
13Fido13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
I've pooched 2 clones on my GBBR.. they can't take the recoil.. the crappy guts just shake apart
That's why I'm trying an XPS clone... So far so good. It's at over 1500 rounds so far so good. My cheap PEQ laser clone hasn't been so fortunate...

Level 2 BA Certified
13Fido13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 20:55   #15
Azathoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novawarrior1 View Post
alright thanks for the help guys. For me, i think a $300 sight is just to much. Ill probably go with the hurricane $152 556 version so i can get a magnifier
The last time I checked the MSRP on a bushnell gen 2 holosight is ~179 in Canada from wholesale sports. Personally I think it's a waste of money to buy a site for your gun unless you have enough mags/ batteries/ BB's, boots, BDU/s Chest rig / Water bladder etc. Those other items are a far higher priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
I can't find any resources online for this, so correct me if I am wrong. A milsim paintball enthusiast (and tactical shooter, tactical nylon manufacturer, ex mercenary) told me that you should never mount a real steel optic onto a paintball gun or GBBR because the recoil systems function in reverse of a real firearm which the optics are designed for. Thus rattling the optics to pieces. He has 2 dead eotechs to back up this claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion