Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Your Thoughts on Deployable "Airsoft Robots"?

:

General

Old September 11th, 2008, 21:35   #16
Dracheous
Lego Head

Luckless, I don't know if you're saying auto fire as in full automatic fire of the gun or thinking that UAV means that no one is controlling it. Both cases you'd be wrong, a simple servo could actuate the trigger on a mounted AEG, or a relay to the micro-switch in an M249 AEG would answer automatic fire.

UAV simply means "Unmanned", does not mean that its has to be totally autonomous; just that the operator of the vehicle is not on board but simply controlling it from a protected remote location.

Labo, I'd suggest highly against having power cut to the whole vehicle, simply to the weapon alone would be suffice and reduce chance of a "failure" where the vehicle will get caught in terrain. Basically if all power is cut there is the chance that on board fail safes to the receiver not work properly and possibly cause harm to the vehicle. This is why I would suggest the red flashing beacon light; like our red flags, it would signal that the vehicle is down. Vehicle Operators would be held to the same honor system as the rest of us, should their vehicle be hit and the beacon flash to stop firing as the vehicle is "dead".

I think though that the problem is that aside from recon, R/C vehicles would be very hard to implement regulations on in our game. R/C aircraft have the unique ability that they really can be used significantly for recon purposes with out "Entering the battlefield". As long as no weapon is attached to an airvehicle I see no need to be "able" to fire upon it. It would be similar to the Predators today which are rather small in size and fly so high that there are few weapons avail. to hit them. That said one could implement into scenario's AA stations that have such weapons and basically take such a unit "out" of the game and force the operator to remove the craft from theatre and land it. One could even then implement limited "spawns" as replacements for the feild, simulating relocating/take off of another aircraft to the theatre.

Land based becomes hard again though because as Recon units its directly in the line of fire, thus making sense to be able to open fire on the damned thing. It bloody well can't fall from the sky ((which also opens the question of what or WHO it lands on)), but would need an intricate new set of rules.

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 22:59   #17
Kingsix

I'm up for being Engineer building a senty gun and just waiting for people to fall for it...... oops too much teamfortress.
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:00   #18
JamesBond_007

Send a message via MSN to JamesBond_007
It seems like a cool idea to implement, especially considering the modern battlefield technologies that are out there - it only seems right to try and re-create them in airsoft. But the idea of an expensive toy being shot from the sky would worry me (if I had intended to buy one) since there's always someone who manages to break things like that.

Old Buy/Sell Ratings
JamesBond_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:10   #19
deep in the bush
Monkey with a Gun

Send a message via MSN to deep in the bush
use rocket launchers against tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labo View Post
A strike plate mounted at all sides ... If it gets hit.. it kills the power.
You could have the same mechanism on all parts of the robot too... mounted on the gun, the camera, the tracks... so it's more realistic.
shoot with the rocket launcher. We use foam rockets in a shoulder launcher system. shoot it with the rocket the impact should give it a good impact...perhaps with fall down targets that block the vision of the "driver" ? By the way we use it against vehicles and you hear it thump when hit so it should do the trick.

the thing is neato!!! I love all types of different scenarios. I have been working on a spy sat idea. If it works I will let you know

YouTube - Alias MKX Rocket Launcher - rocket launcher

you want to make it easier and just make it armour for it if you encounter any of these. they shoot pretty hard.

if we dont embrace new tech we may as well just play WW2 reenactment....not that there anything wrong with that

I'm the Barrie Bastard.
http://www.bbbastard.com/

Cheese is good.

Last edited by deep in the bush; September 12th, 2008 at 11:14..
deep in the bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:11   #20
Skladfin

what about those little $100 RC tanks that shoots BBs 30feet?
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:46   #21
Savage Haggis
SIMONED

Why the hell does this little fucker look so familiar to me...?

Reminds me of a R/C prop on a film I worked on years back...

When I remember, I'll post it.
Savage Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 13:47   #22
Dracheous
Lego Head

Reminds me of some of the background robots in T3. Put a set of Fisher Price Binocular on it and we would have another Short Circuit robot :P

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 14:03   #23
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Remote control drones are easy enough, but a proper drone that auto fires? Not easy.

Most I've seen, like the paintball one, work on a fairly simple webcam based motion tracking system. Some will even be 'advanced' enough to fire only at human like shapes. I have yet to see something produced in the private sector that will stop itself after shooting its target, let alone one that will be able to hold fire on an unsafe target or an already dead target.
Your typical living breathing and thnking player can't do that ..... we need to be careful that we have reasonable expectations for our new robot overlords
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 15:57   #24
Luckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
Your typical living breathing and thnking player can't do that ..... we need to be careful that we have reasonable expectations for our new robot overlords
What? I expect a robot that is given a set of simple tasks that it can be dedicated to to do them far better than a human would.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General