Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

TM M4A1 Boys

:

Reviews

Old July 3rd, 2008, 19:51   #1
Crunchmeister

TM M4A1 Boys (pics added)

NOTE: Right off the bat I'll say that I don't have any pics of this gun. I broke my camera in a mosh pit at the Heavy MTL show in Montreal a couple of weeks ago and haven't replaced it yet. Once I do get a new camera, I'll be sure to update this thread with pics. So on with the review...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased this gun used from an ASC user for my 9 year old son to replace the really crappy Firepower (Well) M4 Boys he had been using. He likes to plink with me, but my guns are too big and heavy for him. He also has a TM MP5 Boys, but prefers the M4. But his old M4 was really bad, so he didn't enjoy shooting it. Since he did so well at school this year, I bought him this replacement as a present for passing grade 3.

The gun comes with a magazine, the prerequisite little box of BBs and regular TM manuals, catalog, and paper targets. The gun comes with no batteries as it operates on 6 standard AA batteries instead of a rechargable battery pack. The magazine is technically a hi-cap, but instead of winding, requires a charging 'switch' to be cocked back to compress the magazine feed spring. The magazine is tipped to load BBs into the well from the main body, and then the switch released to apply spring pressure. The well holds 30 BBs, while the magazine itself holds about 200 rounds (estimated) total. Luckily for him, the old Firepower hi-cap (wind-up model) also fits this gun and feeds perfectly, so he has a spare mag should he need it.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that the gun is gorgeous, as with all TM guns. It may be a 3/4 scale kid's gun, but in terms of cosmetics, it looks as good as any TM M4. It features full Colt trademarks just like its big brother and is correct down to the smallest details. The trademarks are deep and very precise. A picture of the gun without a point of reference for size would make you think this is a full-size gun. The only external sign that gives it away is the extra safety button on the grip that Boys guns come with.

Unlike the full-size model, some of the external features are there for show only and have no function. The charging handle is fixed. The rear sight elevation is also fixed, but is fully adjustable for windage. The front sight is not adjustable for elevation either. The knobs to remove the carry handle are also for show only. The ejection port cover opens to reveal the hopup adjustment, but it protrudes from the fake bolt carrier, rather than having to cock the charging handle back to expose the hopup like on a full-size AEG. Otherwise, everything else works like it should.

I haven't opened up the gun, nor do I plan to unless it breaks. It has standard plastic gearbox with plastic gears for Boys guns. Nothing worthwhile mentioning, really.

The performance of this little gun is quite impressive. I'm out of 9V batteries, so couldn't run it through my chrony, but seems to hit harder than the MP5 Boys, and definitely WAY harder than his Firepower M4. Being 7.2V vs the 6V of the Firepower, it also has a higher rate of fire. Accuracy and range are quite impressive. The hopup works great. I took about 10 shots at a pole about 50 feet away and could consistently tag it (4 out of 5 shots hit). I don't think it would have any significant accuracy beyond that though. The manual says is has an effective range of 25m (82 feet). I know I can sent the BBs farther than that with a more aggressive hopup setting, but I don't think they'd be too accurate at all at such an extended range.

PROS:
  • Looks great and very realistic
  • Solid construction
  • Excellent accuracy and range for such a low velocity gun
  • Good rate of fire for a kids gun
CONS:
  • Not gamable
  • not upgradeable
Note that my 2 points uner the "Cons" heading are sort of nitpicking, as this gun was never intended for either of those purposes. But honestly, try as I might, I can't find anything wrong with this gun at all. For a kid, this is as good as it gets. I would even say for an adult that wants to plink indoors at home, this would be suitable. It's a fun little gun that looks great and shoots straight. While it's not a gamable gun, it's not really intended to be, and I doubt anyone old enough to play would be rocking one of these in the field anyway.

Just don't expect the performance of a full-size AEG and you can't go wrong with this.

EDIT: July 6. 2008

Added teh pr0n

Full left side view of the carbine

Full Colt trademarks of high quality.

Hopup adjustment under ejector port cover

Right side of the receiver

Another shot of the right side of the gun

Comparing the TM M4 Boys to the TM MP5 Boys

TM Boys AEGs compared to their full-size counter parts, my custom C8A2 and my JG MP5

Last edited by Crunchmeister; July 6th, 2008 at 16:14.. Reason: Updated review with pictures
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 21:34   #2
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
I'm going to need to get one of these for my daughter when she grows up a little. >.> and my girlfriend wants an m82... but I'll get one of these first.
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 21:51   #3
Dicey

Quite the kickass review, mate. No pictures though, just for kicks?

Also, I noticed something weird in this thread (Not about your review) Just wanted to throw it out there for the possible "Laugh-out-loud" experience one may receive. Not to be intended to make-fun-of anyone in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
What tom foolery is this? Someone fetch me my pantaloons so that I can get to the bottom of these shananigans!
Virtutis Gloria Merces
Dicey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 21:53   #4
ancorp
AK Guru

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAaaaaaaa, looks like some mod got creative perhaps?

Wow that's funny, I remember this user solely by the large "*****" written in white, but now this? Awesome.

A TM is a TM. There's nothing wrong with the Boys version, they're intended for kids, and they're great for it. I had the TM G18C EBB as my first "airsoft" gun, and it lasted several thousand rounds.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 21:54   #5
Skladfin

ya I've noticed haha.

good review

you are such a nice dad buying your son a gun, I have asian parents, back in the days they wouldn't even give me a roll of toilet paper for getting straight As.
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 21:57   #6
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicey View Post
No pictures though, just for kicks?

As I posted in the start of my review, my camera was broken at a concert a couple of weeks ago. I don't have a way of taking pics except with my webcam and phone, and both suck horribly. So I'm going to wait till I get a new camera (probably next week on pay day) and take some proper pictures of it.
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:46   #7
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skladfin View Post
ya I've noticed haha.

good review

you are such a nice dad buying your son a gun, I have asian parents, back in the days they wouldn't even give me a roll of toilet paper for getting straight As.
+1 lucky guy

another great review crunch

question crunch how quick was your son to learn the basics of firearm safety? on your youtube videos he seemed very aware of the basics

Last edited by Bowers; July 4th, 2008 at 02:57..
Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:48   #8
Copper Head

bowers if i enlarger your display picture my moniter would explode
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:54   #9
Shrapnel[Op-For]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper Head View Post
bowers if i enlarger your display picture my moniter would explode
What does that even mean? How is that realivent to anything?
Shrapnel[Op-For] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:58   #10
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAS View Post
What does that even mean? How is that realivent to anything?
meh dont matter ive reported it so lets not muck up crunch's review
Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:02   #11
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSF-Bowers View Post
question crunch how quick was your son to learn the basics of firearm safety? on your youtube videos he seemed very aware of the basics
It didn't take him a very long time. I constantly remind him of things like keeping the muzzle pointed down and finger off the trigger till it's time to shoot and such. Most of the time he doesn't need to be reminded, but he's only 9, so it doesn't hurt for me to reinforce the idea constantly. However, he is a pretty good shot. At the 20 foot range that we normally shoot at inside, he has little trouble putting the majority of his shots in the bullseye.
Old July 5th, 2008, 21:31   #12
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Huh.... last I checked it only said *****
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 16:15   #13
Crunchmeister

Updated the review with a few pictures.
Old July 6th, 2008, 16:21   #14
ancorp
AK Guru

I'll have to agree, the finish looks top notch! Thanks for the pics Crunch.
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:02   #15
Andres

The side by side comparison picture messes with my heaaaaaaaad

Good review.
Andres is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews