Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

King Arms Metal Body- AK-47

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old April 5th, 2008, 10:43   #1
anonymouspunk2

King Arms Metal Body- AK-47

I got a King Arms Metal body for my AK-47... Some of the screws aren't fitting properly, and I actually broke a screw while trying to screw some things in... is there any way to make the screws fit properly? And is this the way new metal bodies behave?

I dunno, I kinda want it fixed cause the metal body looks just awesome
anonymouspunk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 13:08   #2
Kerbosa

You need to be a little more specific. Saying that its not fitting properly is very general.

Are the holes not lining up? are the screws snapping or stripping? What screws are not going in?

Are they the trigger guard ones or the ones that hold the front end in place?

Pictures would help us help you as well.
Kerbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 13:18   #3
Dicey

It sounds like a common problem, that the front end isn't all the way to the back. Which causes the screw holes on the hop-up unit to not line up with the metal body holes, causing the screws to go in crooked. If the front end is correctly in place, the screws should fit in just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
What tom foolery is this? Someone fetch me my pantaloons so that I can get to the bottom of these shananigans!
Virtutis Gloria Merces
Dicey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 18:13   #4
anonymouspunk2

The holes DO line up properly, and the screws do go in straight, but about halfway down they start getting more and more difficult to screw in

And yes, it is the alignment of the frontset to the body
Old April 5th, 2008, 18:20   #5
Kerbosa

Did you strip the threads or the head of the screw?

Can you put the screws into the front end when it is out side of the body?
Old April 5th, 2008, 23:10   #6
anonymouspunk2

Yeah you can, and breaking teh screw, I stripped the head of the screw... I'm hoping I can get it out cause I want to modify my gun in the near future
Old April 6th, 2008, 02:13   #7
LouisZimmerman

Lee Valley tools sells a pair of pliers made specifically for removing bolts/screws where the heads have been stripped (assuming that there is enough of the fastener projecting that one can grab it).
Some bolts are easy to cross thread... if I'm working with one that wants to do that, I find that turning it about half a turn or so backwards in the hole before I start to insert it sorts things out.
Worst case scenario, you may have to clean out the threads with an appropriate sized tap. If you haven't done this sort of thing before, I'd recommend practicing on something disposable... ;-)

Louis
LouisZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 18:28   #8
Kerbosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouspunk2 View Post
Yeah you can, and breaking teh screw, I stripped the head of the screw... I'm hoping I can get it out cause I want to modify my gun in the near future
I don't think you have the front end set correctly. It sounds like it is slightly off, and the screws are not going in straight and catching on the misalignment. There should be little to no resistance when tightening the screws.

You should probably take this to someone who knows what they're doing. For that screw to have stripped you either tried to continue tightening it after the driver started to slip, as Phillips head screws are designed to slip when over torqued, or you are using the wrong size driver for that screw. These are just the rudimentary basics of using a screwdriver. Save yourself the headache and the worry of ruining your parts and pay someone who knows what they are doing to put it together for you.

The screw can be removed with care and a pair of vice-grips. It will need replacing. Hopefully you did not damage the threads in the front-end.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications