Regina Airport Baggage Security Check

:

Reviews

Old May 26th, 2010, 16:03   #1
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow

I thought this would be worth posting, as you may benefit from my little experiment.

I bought an AEG at Claybank 2010 from Plastic Soldier Airsoft (plug). Jihad offered to Canada Post it but I thought what better way than to test the flying theory everyone talks about but few seem to do or post a review about.

I was due to fly out of Regina on the 10:30am to Toronto. I have an M16A3, and I turned the box inside out and taped it all up secure. I went to check my baggage and they said the AEG box was oversized so I'd have to take it to oversized luggage. No problem.

I go to the counter and the bored checked baggage security officer runs the box through the x-ray machine and his eyes bugger out of his head. Great, I've got a guy who knows nothing about guns. Okay.

So he says, "uh sir, can you come over here?" I said "sure, whats the problem officer?", he says "this is a gun, do you have a license and paperwork for it?" and I asked him if he had any firearms identification training, to which he said no. So I asked for an officer who does. He comes back with 3 other guys who have no training and no firearms experience at all. We open the box and I explain the whole paintball cum airsoft story. They're still unsure. So I say well, ask the airline what their SOP is on a paintball gun and in the meantime if you're concerned find someone who knows something about firearms.

So a customs officer comes up. He sees it on the desk and first thing he says is "that looks real" whereupon I ask him if I can show him how its not real. He agrees. I show him the mag well and he can see the gearbox and says okay, "thats not a bolt". Then I open the dust cover and he says, "okay, thats definitely not a bolt either". The I show him the mag and the battery. At this point he's mildly amused. Apparently he is ex-military and he asks me what I am doing in Regina with this and I explain the game. He's nodding his head and says "actually that sounds pretty cool." At this point the Westjet supervisor comes over, doesn't give the gun a second look and says to me, "does it have a cylinder and is the cylinder charged?" I reply "there is no cylinder and no, there is no charged cylinder:. She looks at the 5 guys and says, "the airline has no problem with this, its in line with our SOPs on paintball guns". Buddy packed the AEG back up, making a mess of the box in the process, which was sort of upsetting but hey what can you do. I arrived in Toronto and got my AEG from oversized baggage and went on my way.

So, there is now at least 4 educated baggage security guys and a WestJet supervisor and a customs officer who now know what airsoft guns are at Regina Airport. And, anyone who says you can't take an AEG on a plane (check it mind you), is wrong. It can and is done. YMMV, and be prepared to supply explanations and be patient.
Old May 26th, 2010, 16:10   #2
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Nice one Jay. Have to let the gf read this, she's a manager for CATSA (the screeners) and might be a little tidbit for her to pass on to others she works with (BTW, she's played airsoft twice so far).
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 16:11   #3
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Can you do the same to the Zombies at YYZ Pearson airport?? especially on a case of kitchen knives and tools??
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 16:12   #4
TechSeller

Interesting experience to be sure. Just curious, did you consider giving the security dude a heads-up before he scanned the bag?

North Trail Sports - Mora, Motorola, Puxing, Fogtech & More! / Our ASC Retail Thread
TechSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 16:46   #5
teriases

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSeller
Interesting experience to be sure. Just curious, did you consider giving the security dude a heads-up before he scanned the bag?
And miss out on the expression on his face?? Even from the post, I can hear the "oh shhhii..." all the way from here heheh... Kinda reminds me of the starting part of Matrix 1 lobby scene. but all jokes aside thanks for the post Its very informative. And thanks for being the subject of this successful experiment!
teriases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 16:52   #6
pugs144

I was bringing my AEG's from Vancouver to Kingston 2 years ago and the inspector at YVR did a swab on my AEGS. You should've seen the look I gave him.

Even if it was a firearm, of course it'll have power residue.

CATSA hires some real oxygen thieves sometimes. More often than I am comfortable with.
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 16:57   #7
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSeller View Post
I could have but I wanted to play it casual, and I also wanted to see what his reaction was going to be. Perhaps it was a little mean, I admit, but when I pulled out my ID he could see my tin and it calmed him down a little (fire dept.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs144 View Post
Even if it was a firearm, of course it'll have power residue.
Oh, thats the part I forgot to tell you - it was swabbed - and my camera bag was swabbed when I went through boarding security and it lit up like a Christmas tree. Long and short of that (after everyone panicked) was that it picked up gunpowder residue off my camera bag, which I take to the range and to other shoots and is covered in GSR. I almost got a free cavity search along with them ripping my EOS D20 apart.

Last edited by Scarecrow; May 26th, 2010 at 17:00..
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 16:59   #8
TechSeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I could have but I wanted to play it casual, and I also wanted to see what his reaction was going to be. Perhaps it was a little mean, I admit, but when I pulled out my ID he could see my tin and it calmed him down a little (fire dept.).
It's all good when nobody gets tasered

North Trail Sports - Mora, Motorola, Puxing, Fogtech & More! / Our ASC Retail Thread
TechSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 17:02   #9
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSeller View Post
It's all good when nobody gets tasered
Its okay, I didn't have a stapler on me and I speak perfect engrish.
Old May 26th, 2010, 17:14   #10
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Thanks for posting your experience up Jay; however I'm disappointed to hear that Westjet didn't follow their own policy. All that should have been required was to fill out a "firearms declaration" form and boom you're done. It's not the airline's place to determine what is and what isn't an "acceptable" firearm.

That being said, I've had a similar experience, and like you I found that patience and "keeping it cool" goes along way.

When flying home for summer vacation in 2005, I took my CA AK74 (wood and steel, authentic!) with me to attend a game that emptymags was hosting in Edmonton. On my way back to Ottawa, I filled out my firearms dec at the Edmonton airport, and was told like to you take my guncase (locked) through oversize baggage.

The guncase was scanned, and again I had the "buggered out eyes" reaction, and a lot of talking on the tech's radio. I was asked if I could open the case, and I said sure, did so. Two airport security officers and three airport staff crowded around my case as I explained that it was an airsoft rifle, and like you Jay I showed them the magazine well and removed the dust cover to show them the mechbox.

The baggage tech doing the xray turned out to be from Serbia, and immigrated after the wars in the 90's, he was only too happy when I told him "go nuts" when he asked to hold it. He was shouldering it with a mag slapped in, cocking the fake bolt etc...

Anyway, that's my similar story; again thanks for sharing Jay.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 17:19   #11
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
Thanks for posting your experience up Jay; however I'm disappointed to hear that Westjet didn't follow their own policy. All that should have been required was to fill out a "firearms declaration" form and boom you're done. It's not the airline's place to determine what is and what isn't an "acceptable" firearm.
Doesn't that open a can of worms though, using a form that describes the device as a firearm? Just curious.

Actually WestJet was pretty nonchalant about it, it was the baggage check guys who were plopping bricks...
Old May 26th, 2010, 17:33   #12
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Most of the local Regina WestJet staff are use to Airsoft guns from all my years of travelling, and have become well versed in what they are. Security on another hand changes so often that they continuously have new staff.

In my 8 years of travelling with them in my locked suitcases I always just filled out the declaration form at the counter, which when you read it has a section for paintball/co2 guns on it. Considering over those 8 years, I did an average of about 120 flights a year, and only once had a RCMP visit in Vancouver due to a panic'd xray tech there, I'd say its perfectly safe to fly with them if done correctly. That time in Vancouver, I got to watch the 2 RCMP officers search my luggage and then play with my guns on camera for about 25mins, even posturing and posing with my M500 shotty. The westjet agent who was sitting with me laughed her ass off at them and said well I'm pretty sure at this point were okay to let you back on the plane.
Old May 26th, 2010, 17:53   #13
Sha Do

KUDOs there bro Crow. Now are they willing to pay you for training more of these security personnel, cause if they are, dude, hook us up. LOL

Again bro, awesome.
SHA DO
Sha Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 18:03   #14
scottyfox

Air Canada also requires a declaration for paintball, air/bb and in my experience: airsoft- and (wait for it) charges $50 one way for each.
Actually, I'm not sure if it would be per checked bag (ie pistol and rifle or two rifles) or per gun.
Edit: they seem to have wonky rules about numbers of guns per bag for guns, unsure if applies to other stuff.

Last edited by scottyfox; May 26th, 2010 at 18:14.. Reason: Research!
scottyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 18:25   #15
Rugger_can

A few gentleman from out west attended OPCT2 way way back in 2002 and their guns where checked in much the same what your was.

Cheers.
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews