Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

probably an extremely stupid question -Goggles

:

Newbie Tank

Old April 24th, 2012, 00:09   #1
Coward

probably an extremely stupid question -Goggles

So after looking at most of the fields rules in the lower mainland area they all seem to require paintball certified goggles.. cactus hobbies masks would not be certified i assume, what if i were to do some custom work on the mask and put polycarbonate lenses in it.. i have heard of people doing this to actual gas masks and used them for play in paintball and airsoft
Coward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 00:12   #2
Steven

No. They have to be paintball certified goggles; read: Paintball goggles(JT for example) due to insurance reasons.
Old April 24th, 2012, 00:15   #3
L473ncy

Need to be ASTM certified, no exceptions, a sheet of polycarb will probably not be ASTM certified for outdoor sports (ie. paintball). Same goes for fully sealed ballistics, even though it can stop a .22 which arguably carries more energy and travels faster than any paintball ever could if it's not ASTM certified it's not allowed.

I recommend JT Spectra or Flex 8's if you want something modular and remove panels (or even cut away at certain sections to get a better cheek weld).

http://www.paintballgear.ca/
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:52   #4
Coward

yeah thats dumb.. can stop a .22 round it would surely stop a paintball i highly doubt a paintball lense will stop a .22
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:54   #5
Coward

i have cracked lenses by being shot on the face like 10 feet away lol
Old April 24th, 2012, 02:00   #6
BennyBoy

i was wondering...i sweat like crazy and need stuff that breaths very well, do these protect well?

PS: i got a giant noggin...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 612-4058-large.jpg (15.4 KB, 120 views)
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:06   #7
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Yes, they do.

There are also similar cages which omit the ear protection in favor of a lower profile, which I personally prefer. I think that either type is a good piece of gear to have on hand.

I'm not up on the insurance requirements of PB cert fields though, so ask around before you commit. Lump all available funds into good eye/ face pro right off the bat, and if you are going to be playing on fields which require PB Cert safety gear to play, you'll want to dump that extra $15-$30 into your pool rather than divide it between systems.

People always balk when I tell them to spend at least $100-$150 on goggles, but I've been through enough systems for both Paintball and Airsoft to know that if you don't spend that much to begin with, you'll spend it over the fist season and STILL have to drop that much on the set you end up wanting/ needing.

Do lots of research, ask around, and make an effort to try before you buy (fitment/ comfort is huge; don't automatically take someone's word as absolute truth or think that because a system is expensive that it will work for you).

Also, eye/ face protection should be regarded as disposable from the get-go in order to avoid heartache.
Good stuff may last 3 seasons or 10; but it needs to be replaced at the first goddamn signs of damage.
Inspect your eye pro regularly. After every solid lens hit under ~30ft for paintball, after every nasty burst from a hot Airsoft gun.

Remember, military spec lenses may be able to stop a .22, but they're only rated to stop ONE .22. They may stop more, but if there are chips, gouges, cracks, or exposed faults after an encounter STOP USING YOUR EYE PRO, THROW IT AWAY, AND BUY NEW.

You only have two eyes.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:58   #8
-=ArchAngel=-

needs to be astm certified for insurance reasons.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:37   #9
zone 69

JT flex 8 with a few mod's for breath-ability and goggle fan they work well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (1.48 MB, 30 views)
zone 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:53   #10
Coward

i was kinda building a SAS themed load out and wanted that cactus hobbies s10 gas mask.. was the main key =[ would it be acceptable take everything off the mask and mold a mask over the goggles? my girl friend is a special effects make up artist and im sure she could do it since she's done lots of face molding
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:54   #11
Coward

over paintball appoved goggles to make that abit more clear
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:17   #12
Juic3
freakonleash

What you have on your eyes is the only thing important for most field. If your google are safe, well you can have whatever you want on the rest of your face on most field. Just be sure to have enough air flow otherwise you will cook in that gas mask.
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:09   #13
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Worry about safety and following the fields rules, not looking cool. If their rules don't suit you play elsewhere. More than likely though, your mask modification won't be approved until they see the finished product. Then they may say "no" after all the money and work put in. Your only guarantee is to wear paintball approved goggles. The risk is %100 yours. Just so your aware before hand.
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:10   #14
L473ncy

Panther paintball which is the main field requires just the goggles portion of the PB mask as per their insurance.

RIP/Richmond Indoor Paintball/Shock Entertainment (or whatever they go by these days) only requires ballistics at minimum (however I highly recommend sealed ballistics or reusing your PB goggles). This is probably because you're not playing with PBallers as the entire facility is rented out for private airsoft games.

Tsawwassen Paintball requires the goggles portion of the PB goggles (same as Panther).

HTH.
Old April 24th, 2012, 22:54   #15
BennyBoy

i have my old pb mask in the closest so i have that to go back on

http://www.mysoker.com/en/pro2038.html has a fan! is that it or can you post a link to the eye pro line you're talking about
wanted to do something like that with a face cage at bottom for max breathability
but i'm just chairsofting atm till my AV goes through
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank