Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Prometheus galore- PROJECT COMPLETE (Sept 11, 2010)

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old July 31st, 2010, 03:19   #31
Amos

Stock gears is subjective... every brand is different..

But you mentioned a CA motor.. so I'm gonna assume it's CA gears..

They should be able to pull a 110... they'll pull a 120 but they probably wont like it too much with the stock CA motor (they're built for RPM not torque)

Get yourself a G&P M120 motor when you order the springs... then you wont have to worry about any of that.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:24   #32
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
Stock gears is subjective... every brand is different..

But you mentioned a CA motor.. so I'm gonna assume it's CA gears..

They should be able to pull a 110... they'll pull a 120 but they probably wont like it too much with the stock CA motor (they're built for RPM not torque)

Get yourself a G&P M120 motor when you order the springs... then you wont have to worry about any of that.
Is it this the one ure talking about? It said that its for high speed, and not high torque though.. http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/gandp-m12...r-for-aeg.html

Also, I know that your final FPS will depend on your entire setup and not just your spring. You mentioned before that a 110 gave you 370-390, while a 120 gave you 380-415 FPS. Now if i was to get either spring (110 or 120) with my currently Prometheus internals (air nozzle, cylinder, cylinder head, tappet plate, anti reversal, piston, piston head and tightbore inner barrel), what would you estimate my final FPS to be for either spring? I know its a tough question, but given your experiencec with prometheus products, what would be your best estimate?

Last edited by turok_t; July 31st, 2010 at 03:30..
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:44   #33
Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok_t View Post
Is it this the one ure talking about? It said that its for high speed, and not high torque though.. http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/gandp-m12...r-for-aeg.html

Also, I know that your final FPS will depend on your entire setup and not just your spring. You mentioned before that a 110 gave you 370-390, while a 120 gave you 380-415 FPS. Now if i was to get either spring (110 or 120) with my currently Prometheus internals (air nozzle, cylinder, cylinder head, tappet plate, anti reversal, piston, piston head and tightbore inner barrel), what would you estimate my final FPS to be for either spring? I know its a tough question, but given your experiencec with prometheus products, what would be your best estimate?
More dependent on barrel length and all that stuff..

You really should just purchase both springs and a chronograph and fine-tune everything.. You can get a really good chrono for like $70

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/gandp-m17...ong-motor.html Get that motor, and a mosfet that can control motor speed.. And you wont have to worry about it not being able to pull the spring ever again
G3SD6

Last edited by Amos; July 31st, 2010 at 03:47..
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:49   #34
turok_t

Quote:
More dependent on barrel length and all that stuff..

You really should just purchase both springs and a chronograph and fine-tune everything.. You can get a really good chrono for like $70

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/gandp-m17...ong-motor.html Get that motor, and a mosfet that can control motor speed.. And you wont have to worry about it not being able to pull the spring ever again
Whoa, so its the M170 motor? Not the M120 motor?
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:55   #35
Amos

I was just kidding, the 120 will do just fine. It says it's for speed, but the actual motor its self has enough torque to pull a 120 spring without any problems.

the 170 is way more than you'll even need lol
G3SD6
Old July 31st, 2010, 04:02   #36
turok_t

Quote:
I was just kidding, the 120 will do just fine. It says it's for speed, but the actual motor its self has enough torque to pull a 120 spring without any problems.

the 170 is way more than you'll even need lol
LOL, i just emailed and submitted 3 orders to TMC and airsoft global.. they are going to get pissed off at me!
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:25   #37
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
hey guys, im trying to push my Prom MS135 spring in the mechbox while closing the two halves.. The spring is soooo stiff and i cant seem to push it in while close the box, any suggestions?
Lift some weights and/or do some push ups.

Quote:
Then how come on on websites it states that the MS135 is rated at 380-390fps?
With .25g BB...

Quote:
1. So if i get a M120, what "approximate" FPS would it give me?
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/SpringChart.php
In *most* setups, it'll put you right around 400fps. Only in highly tuned and heavily maintained setups can it reach higher. I've seen some setups hit 440fps with this spring, but it's rare.

Quote:
2. Whats the difference between "MS" and "M" ?
Different companies, different systems, different acronyms... but in the end, it's the same thing.

As a final note, it is highly recommend to also upgrade your gears to Prometheus Double Torque gears as well, to support any spring rated at M120 or higher. While motors and batteries can compensate for the lack of torque a standard ratio gear set may provide, it is not ideal as your motor will experience higher current arcs, your trigger switch will arc higher (and burn out faster), and your battery will experience higher consumption.
Depending on the severity of your setup, you may also experience overdrive, which will prematurely strip your piston.

While most users choose to skip the gears as a cost effective and short-term method of upgrading to 400fps, it will hinder the long term durability of your aeg, causing you to replace parts sooner rather than later. Such setups generally last around 1-3 years, depending on how heavy the AEG is used.
The cost of a replacement motor and piston reaches the cost of a quality set of gears (that you'll end up having to replace sooner anyways). Might as well do the upgrade right from the start.

Last edited by ILLusion; July 31st, 2010 at 09:40..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:25   #38
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Lift some weights and/or do some push ups.

With .25g BB...

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/SpringChart.php
In *most* setups, it'll put you right around 400fps. Only in highly tuned and heavily maintained setups can it reach higher. I've seen some setups hit 440fps with this spring, but it's rare.

Different companies, different systems, different acronyms... but in the end, it's the same thing.

As a final note, it is highly recommend to also upgrade your gears to Prometheus Double Torque gears as well, to support any spring rated at M120 or higher. While motors and batteries can compensate for the lack of torque a standard ratio gear set may provide, it is not ideal as your motor will experience higher current arcs, your trigger switch will arc higher (and burn out faster), and your battery will experience higher consumption.
Depending on the severity of your setup, you may also experience overdrive, which will prematurely strip your piston.

While most users choose to skip the gears as a cost effective and short-term method of upgrading to 400fps, it will hinder the long term durability of your aeg, causing you to replace parts sooner rather than later. Such setups generally last around 1-3 years, depending on how heavy the AEG is used.
The cost of a replacement motor and piston reaches the cost of a quality set of gears (that you'll end up having to replace sooner anyways). Might as well do the upgrade right from the start.
1. Ahh, thanks Brian. How much better are the PRom double torque gears compared to my stock CA gears??

2. Actually, here is another question for anyone that was a bit puzzling for me. When I was installing the new cylinder head in the cylinder, I was thinking, when the piston head thrusts forward in the cylinder, wouldn't the cylinder head be pushed forward over time? It is not screwed or fastened to the cylinder. How is the cylinder head secured to the cylindeR?

3. My motor wires from my G&P trigger assembly came like this. How do these ends connect to the motor or am I supposed to cut them off and attach motor connectors instead? I just wanted to make sure because Ive never seen these before:

Last edited by turok_t; July 31st, 2010 at 13:02..
Old July 31st, 2010, 13:46   #39
Amos

CA Gears are like a gun made by Well where Prometheus gears are like a gun made by Inokatsu.

Not... sure what you mean by the cylinder.. it's held into place by the two pegs in the gearbox as well as the front of the gearbox

Those motor connectors will work perfectly with a M120 motor
G3SD6
Old July 31st, 2010, 14:55   #40
turok_t

Quote:
CA Gears are like a gun made by Well where Prometheus gears are like a gun made by Inokatsu.

Not... sure what you mean by the cylinder.. it's held into place by the two pegs in the gearbox as well as the front of the gearbox

Those motor connectors will work perfectly with a M120 motor
Damn, now im really tempted to buy new Prom gears... might as well just get a new mechbox shell too..

Anyways, yes, I just saw the two pegs in the mechbox shell that holds the cylinder head in place.. How do u know if the seal between the cylinder and the cylinder head is good? I want to make sure that there is no air leaking from the sides.

You know for the pic shown in the previous post? How do I attach them to the motor since the terminals are small thin plates? Dont you need to use these ones so they can slide on top of the terminals?

Old August 4th, 2010, 14:34   #41
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
1. Ahh, thanks Brian. How much better are the PRom double torque gears compared to my stock CA gears??
Depends in what regards:

Build quality: Prometheus
Gear Whine (quietness): Prometheus
Price: Classic Army

I use Prometheus in my own AEG's. Another analogy, is that CA gears are the wife. Prometheus gears are the smoking hot mistress.

Quote:
2. Actually, here is another question for anyone that was a bit puzzling for me. When I was installing the new cylinder head in the cylinder, I was thinking, when the piston head thrusts forward in the cylinder, wouldn't the cylinder head be pushed forward over time? It is not screwed or fastened to the cylinder. How is the cylinder head secured to the cylindeR?
The pegs in the gearbox hold the cylinder head in place. Indents in the gearbox hold the cylinder in place. So essentially, the gearbox is what secures the cylinder head to the cylinder.

Quote:
3. My motor wires from my G&P trigger assembly came like this. How do these ends connect to the motor or am I supposed to cut them off and attach motor connectors instead? I just wanted to make sure because Ive never seen these before:
I've never seen that before either, but I'd just clip the ends off and solder on female spade terminals.

Quote:
Anyways, yes, I just saw the two pegs in the mechbox shell that holds the cylinder head in place.. How do u know if the seal between the cylinder and the cylinder head is good? I want to make sure that there is no air leaking from the sides.
Do the "air seal test". Cover the air seal nozzle with your right index finger. Place the assembled piston in to the cylinder, and jam it forward as hard as you can, as if the spring were pushing it from behind. If you have a good air seal, you should be stopped solid in mid-stroke. If there's a minor leak (usually at the base of the air seal nozzle), then the piston will be able to compress slowly, but you will still feel a great pneumatic force resisting your push on the piston assembly.

Last edited by ILLusion; August 4th, 2010 at 14:43..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 14:41   #42
Amos

Quote:
Damn, now im really tempted to buy new Prom gears... might as well just get a new mechbox shell too..

You know for the pic shown in the previous post? How do I attach them to the motor since the terminals are small thin plates? Dont you need to use these ones so they can slide on top of the terminals?

Brian's covered the airseal test,

The G&P motors come with screw terminals and small screws that allow you to screw those connectors into the a part of the motor.
G3SD6
Old August 4th, 2010, 17:01   #43
Azathoth

Quote:
Prometheus makes great parts, But the only piston and cylinder heads I'll ever use are ARS

They provide 100% perfect air-seal and the integral sorbothane makes them greatly reduce the muzzle noise when you're shooting at someone.

Air seal is really irrelevant. you can use all sorts of different materials to make sure you get the 100% air seal in your compression system like teflon tape, silicon caulking, silicon gasket sealer etc. I use the aluminum piston heads because i want my gun to be louder. If I could get my gun to shoot reliable at 130-150Db range I would.

ARS doesnt make pistons and if they did I doubt I would use them unless they where in the 20 dollar range. Prometheus Hard, and System supercore, Stock TM are the only pistons i'll touch in my setups. But that's an aside.

I'm curious to the OP why he didnt buy a full tune up kit instead of all the individual parts. Prometheus FTKs are discontinued but many retailers still have stocks of them.

As for the gears contact RiotSC and get a set of his custom gearsets. I recommend you get the "balanced" gearset. I have pulled stock TM to Airsoft surgeon stage 6 with that gearset. Many others on ASM have gone much further. Prom double torques should also do the job if money is tight. There is a huge quality shift from Prom to Siegetek gears for the money you pay.

If you cant get that m135 spring in your box then do more pushups. If you think that's hard I'll sell you one of my extra stage 6's and you try and get that in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 21:08   #44
Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
ARS doesnt make pistons
I was referring to piston and cylinder head as in: Piston head and cylinder head.

I use stock TM piston bodies in almost all of my builds
G3SD6
Old August 5th, 2010, 20:16   #45
turok_t

After being convinced by Amos, I finally bit the bullet and just upgraded everything.. Gearbox is upgraded, gears upgraded, bearings upgraded, motor upgraded and i bought 2 springs as well..Ill post pics when i get the stuff.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications