Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Upgrading an L96

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old September 7th, 2010, 14:10   #31
Kos-Mos

Lots of questions and random answers in this thread.

PDI makes every possible part for that rifle. That includes receivers, barrel sets, cylinders, pistons, triggers and hop-up units.

LayLax (or Prometheus, they are the same, Promy is AEG and Laylax is bolt action) make only the parts that are required to have a very good rifle.

It's all up to personal preference. I tried PDI cylinder sets a few times and I am not touching then anymore. You DON'T want to mix and match systems. PDI makes a kind of upgrade parts, and generally,every other brand uses an other method. Means if you want to install PDI cylinder sets, go with their trigger, piston and all other related parts. If, like me, you can't stand them, go with quality parts from OTHER brands.

If you want a PDI gun, you should go with theses, in order:

PDI hop-up unit.
PDI 6.04 10mm tightbore barrel, 499mm (the outer diameter is larger, reduces vibrations a lot, more consistent and precise shots).
Firefly AEG hop-up rubber. Soft or Hard (not Super soft or Super hard), depending on FPS. Sub 450 is soft.
PDI barrel spacers (at least 2) for 10mm barrels.

PDI bolt carrier replacement screw. That is the screw you see at the rear of the bolt that hold everything in place. The stock part is junk. Upgrade is worth it.
PDI V-Trigger for APS-2 Type 96. Can be used with stock piston and bolt while you gather the 300$ for the next step.

PDI Vacuum type LV.3 bolt upgrade set for sub 450 fps guns.
OR
PDI Heavy type LV.3 bolt upgrade set for over 450 fps guns.

Then if you want to build a gun with something else, you actually have to use some PDI parts.

PDI hop-up unit.
PDI 6.04 10mm tightbore barrel, 499mm (the outer diameter is larger, reduces vibrations a lot, more consistent and precise shots).
Firefly AEG hop-up rubber. Soft or Hard (not Super soft or Super hard), depending on FPS. Sub 450 is soft.
PDI barrel spacers (at least 2) for 10mm barrels.

PDI bolt carrier replacement screw. That is the screw you see at the rear of the bolt that hold everything in place. The stock part is junk. Upgrade is worth it.
Laylax Zero trigger set. Does not come with a piston. If it does, it is not the right one. It has to be made for "APS-2 Type 96" The regular APS-2 trigger DOES NOT WORK.

Modify APS-2 Type 96 piston. I like this one quite a lot. Sear end is steel, body is aluminium and it uses modular heads like the 3-pieces pistons.
Prometheus or Modify APS-2 piston head. (Does not have to say Type 96, it is the same part).
Laylax upgraded spring guide set (you can change the shaft from 7mm to 9mm but don't forget to thread lock the shaft). OR Modify 7mm or 9mm spring guide for Type 96. I prefer the Modify part over Laylax, but if you are on thigh budget, the Laylax one will let you change spring without extra expenses.
PSS-2 120sp, 130sp 140sp and 150sp springs. With both spring guides, you get a range of FPS from 400 to 550.
Laylax teflon cylinder for APS-2 Type 96. Again, T96 part, not just APS-2.
Modify steel cylinder head for T96.
Laylax sorbo-pad set for VSR-10. (It works for T96, install all 3 pads on top of each other)

When you have all that in your rifle, you have a VERY decent gun.
Fitting the parts might be tricky on clones, but worth it. I found that Laylax/Modify parts are more forgiving for fitment, and do a better overall job (since we are not playing is a white room, thing can't always be perfect).
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 23:43   #32
highny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos-Mos View Post
When you have all that in your rifle, you have a VERY decent gun.
Great stuff! Thanks for the great info!

Question:

Today I've notice that when I'm about 100-150 feet away from someone in a fire fight... They can usually do the matrix thing where they move right away after seeing something flying towards them(I did it a few times). It's the noise that gave the shot away! So my question is: Does a silencer really silence my shot? Or do I need to mod it from internally(silence piston?)?

Thanks again everyone for all the great and insightful input!
highny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 00:49   #33
Kos-Mos

You can use a 200mm silencer with a decent foam insert (insulation for pipes is not).

You can also fill your stock with minimal expansion foam made to fill cracks aroung house pipes and stuff. Take the minimal expansion or it will destroy your stock. Helps reduce echos from the shot and further silencer the gun.

When people do the matrix thing, it usually means they have seen you before you shot them. You can use black BB if they are available in the weight you are using. Just a lot hard to setup hop-up and zero your sight.
Old September 11th, 2010, 20:38   #34
highny

Quote:
You can use a 200mm silencer with a decent foam insert (insulation for pipes is not).
So if I make one myself, what type of foam insert is best use? Also, if I were to buy one, which one would you recommend?

Quote:
You can also fill your stock with minimal expansion foam made to fill cracks aroung house pipes and stuff. Take the minimal expansion or it will destroy your stock. Helps reduce echos from the shot and further silencer the gun.
This is a very good idea, but how much weight will it add to my gun? And if I made a mistake, is it nearly impossible to fix? Or is it like Styrofoam?

Quote:
When people do the matrix thing, it usually means they have seen you before you shot them. You can use black BB if they are available in the weight you are using. Just a lot hard to setup hop-up and zero your sight.
Ya they usually do see me... My L96 is still stock, so range is no more than any other stock AEGs...

Question:
You mention using "sorbo-pad" in my upgrades, but what are they for?
Also, where can I find a v-trigger?... xfire doesn't seem to carry it.

Thanks.

Last edited by highny; September 11th, 2010 at 20:45..
Old September 11th, 2010, 20:45   #35
SniperSam

Send a message via AIM to SniperSam Send a message via MSN to SniperSam Send a message via Skype™ to SniperSam
Quote:
Originally Posted by highny View Post
Today I've notice that when I'm about 100-150 feet away from someone in a fire fight... They can usually do the matrix thing where they move right away after seeing something flying towards them(I did it a few times). It's the noise that gave the shot away! So my question is: Does a silencer really silence my shot? Or do I need to mod it from internally(silence piston?)?!

If it's a sniper rifle, the "hammer" hitting the bb and the bb exiting the barrel make the most noise. a silencer works if its usually exiting the barrel that makes the most sound. also, if you dont maintain youre rifle correctly, dust/dirt/pollen/debris will get caught in there and accumulate, making your shots louder. If its a gas gun, see above lol; its either the "hammer" or the bb exiting the barrel again. and again, if you dont take good care of your gun, it will misbehave and scream profanities at the most inopportune of times

Whoa guy with the thumb rings, save some pussy for the rest of us

Welcome to Bed Bath and Beyoncé, if you find anything you like, put a ring on it.

What idiot called them Black Bears instead of African Abearicans
SniperSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 22:53   #36
highny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSam View Post
If it's a sniper rifle, the "hammer" hitting the bb and the bb exiting the barrel make the most noise.

You mean when the piston hits the cylinder head?...
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:28   #37
Kos-Mos

A silencer on a BA rifle changes everything. ALL the noise come from 2 sources:

The barrel end, where the compression of the air and in impact of the piston on the cylinder head is making noize.
You can reduce that with the use of sorbo pads (to minimize the amount of energy transfered to the cylinder, which can resonate and create noise), and with a good silencer. You "can" make one using any tube, filled with foam. The best foam to use is the fibrous type. You can buy a bunch of boot soles and cut rings in it. Closed-cell type of foam (like insulation foam) is NOT recommended because air is not able to go past the first layer of "broken" bubbles. You also want a metal tube. Keeps the size smaller (you would need a 2" ABS tube to get a decent inner air volume Vs 1.5" aluminium tube) and be sturdy enough not to resonate the noise. BOTH ENDS NEED TO BE CLOSED! If not, you basically build a super-sized madbull Noveske "firepig"

The other noise source is the cylinder resonating. The vibration of the receiver rebounds and gets amplified in the hollow stock. What ever the brand, it always resonates. You can fill the stock with minimal expansion foam. The stuff cost 5-10$ at hardware store. Just make sure you get the minimal expansion one. Double or triple will just split your stock in half. Best thing is to leave the stock assembled. If you have a VSR or other similar clone that have a glued butt stock, make sure it is on very well and duct-tape it in place before starting, the foam will try to push it out. Drill a hole under the stock, about 1/4". That will be used to fill the stock (using the little tube that comes with the foam can) and to let air escape. Fill the stock at about 3/4 and let dry. Wait about 2 days before doing the accessible part (under the barrel and receiver). When you do it, wrap the barrel and receiver loosely with saran wrap. Fill the stock at 3/4 and put the receiver on like it will be when done. There should be enough air escape for the foam. It should foam out the sides and such. The good thing about that foam is that an X-Acto blade will cut it like butter when fully dry.

You can't really screw-up if you take your time and let the foam dry properly before gaming it.
Old September 24th, 2010, 22:31   #38
highny

So... I got the PDI Hop up unit and get what?...

The stock cylinder head doesn't fit. Like it's too big!... So I was wondering... Would why? Did this happen to anyone else? So now I'm having doubt going the modify/Laylax path... So I be worrying?

Also I didn't put one of the hop up screw all the way in and manage to warp the alen key hole a little, how the alen key won't fit in, but it does turn though... Can I get a replacement screw anywhere?...

Any help would be great!
Old September 24th, 2010, 23:36   #39
Amos

Hot glue and plasticine works better than expanding insulation
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 01:07   #40
Treefingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by highny View Post
So... I got the PDI Hop up unit and get what?...

The stock cylinder head doesn't fit. Like it's too big!... So I was wondering... Would why? Did this happen to anyone else? So now I'm having doubt going the modify/Laylax path... So I be worrying?

Also I didn't put one of the hop up screw all the way in and manage to warp the alen key hole a little, how the alen key won't fit in, but it does turn though... Can I get a replacement screw anywhere?...

Any help would be great!
Had the same problem and can tell you the modify cylinder head doesn't fit either. You need a PDI one I believe. As for a replacement screw, I'm not sure where to buy grub screws.
Old September 25th, 2010, 01:20   #41
highny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefingers View Post
Had the same problem and can tell you the modify cylinder head doesn't fit either. You need a PDI one I believe. As for a replacement screw, I'm not sure where to buy grub screws.
Thank you very much!

I almost wasted over $300 worth of upgrade parts just to find out that the PDI hop up doesn't fit that set up..
Old September 25th, 2010, 01:52   #42
Jagd
Jagdalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefingers View Post
So what did you did? I was about to order the modify cylinder head too. You say that you think that a PDI will fit, but what have you done of your set-up?

Strange though because lots of people said that the pdi hop-up was fitting bolt on no problem on L96 clones, they never mentionned anything about the cylinder head not fitting.

Kos-Mos can you please let us know what is going on here? Because in your upgrade list you stated the modify cylinder head for Type 96 and the pdi hop-up. Have you ever try that combination? If yes how come some people says that is does not fit?

Last edited by Jagd; September 25th, 2010 at 01:58..
Jagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 13:33   #43
highny

Either way, I order a laylax cylinder head. I asked airsoftparts and he said they should both fit. So I'll let you know if the laylax one does or doesn't fit properly. If not I can always return it as he said "they should" fit. Maybe I'll exchange it for the modify one to see if some of the rumor is true.

And DAMN! I'm having such a hard time finding the PDI zero trigger for the L96 series... Everything I find is either for VSR-10 or APS-2.

Does anyone know why x-fire doesn't sell the PDI v-trigger?... They got everything but the v-trigger.. Do they stink or something?...

Well, does the Laylax one compatible with the PDI Cylinder set?...

Any help would be awesome!

Last edited by highny; September 26th, 2010 at 18:30..
Old September 27th, 2010, 00:44   #44
Jagd
Jagdalex

I have read in another forum another guy with apparently a cylinder head problem, not fitting in, but he realized that somewhere there wasa tiny screw that was blocking a bit of the cylinder head (not talking about the adjustment screw here) It should work, the modify cylinder as well as the stock one, the nozzle of the cylinder should fit in the hop-up.
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:16   #45
highny

FYI to all who uses PDI hop up unit and couldn't wait to use it and was careless about the hop up adjusting screw and didn't put it in far enough before attempting to push the cylinder head and end up bending the hop up adjuster screw like me, X-fire got repair kit for the PDI hop up unit.

I just placed an order for them. Haha, hopefully I get them in sooner!

I'll update the new cylinder head once I get it in the mail.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications