C-More base mount.
Extra mags.
Metal slide.
High flow valves.
Light Blow Back Unit.
Shooters Design Loading Nozzle.
Mostly Shooters Design stuff.

Gear ( holsters, mag holsters, belt )

But it mostly depends what you want, quick cycles, or more power and durability.

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 19:36   #3
Roughneck
used to be Spencer aka Sue

I'm not a caps shooter, but I do know TM 1911's. Enhanced loading nozzle and Tanio Koba Twist Barrel are a must. Stock nozzle's are known to break over time, best to replace it off the bat and not have it fail in the middle of a shoot.. should run you about $30. Twist barrels work great in guns under 330-350fps, I have them in both my TM 1911's and the accuracy is top notch.. they're about $60 each.

I imagine you'll want quick cycle upgrades, that I don't know so well. Illusion will be the man to talk to there.

Please save for me, some gallantry
That will echo when I'm gone
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 19:44   #4
jesster202

You may also want a metal slide to take propane for power. It will give u just under the power on porpane that the twist barrel will still fire right and perfect. Also you may want to look into an upgraded spring package in recoil springs to help the slide come back faster, also all the upgrades suggested so far.
GAS/SPRING

KJW M9 FULLY UPGRADED //\\KWA FULL SIZE USP //\\ TF MAC11
GEAR
Coyote Brown CIRAS
jesster202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 19:45   #5
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

If you're into the CAPS iLLusion tuned Hi-capas and 1911, get ready for your balls to go nuts.

Welcome to the 1000 Dollar club.

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 20:09   #6
Daiviet
Captain Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat View Post
I have a TM 1911 and am thinking to trick this out as a CAPS gun

any ideas from the experts?
Quite a few possibilities.

First thing depends on which category you want to go into. Standard division allows for a certain length, and some slight restrictions on what you can have (ie. no compensator and no optics) while open category lets you have everything.

Roughneck has the right idea with the TK twist barrel and upgraded loading nozzle. upgrading to metal is a bit of a personal thing, because it works fine with plastic slide and cycles faster that way. But if you really want metal then you have to upgrade the recoil spring, and the hammer spring to allow for more gas as well.

Hi-flow valves for your mags are do-able, you can even get a magwell for faster reloads (refer to Racing Maniacs 1911, the magwell is integrated with the hammer spring housing).

upgraded Hammer and Sear to allow better parts and different trigger pulls. I've found upgrading the trigger is nice so you get a nicer feel depending on your taste.

Controls can be done too, don't think its really necessary but its nice for blinging out.

Once again, you have compensators which don't actually do much except add dead weight to the front of the gun which offsets the recoil from blowback allowing easier sight acquisition, and also allows you to hide a longer inner barrel.

Optics can be done too, but that's if you want to go into Open division and its up to your taste of optics at that point.
Daiviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 20:35   #7
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiviet View Post
But if you really want metal then you have to upgrade the recoil spring, and the hammer spring to allow for more gas as well..
An upgraded hammer spring won't put more gas through. Only a hiflow valve does that.

It's for eliminating light strikes if you're using the gun in high temperatures, and there's more pressure holding the mag valve closed.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 21:15   #8
m102404
Tys

An enhanced recoil spring.

Then shoot it until the slide breaks...if ever.

Then replace the slide with a metal one...and shoot it until the internals wear out...if ever.

Then buy another one and start over.

Save your money for mags (get 5).

Tys

(tightbores, Shooters design POM unit loading nozzle and highflow valves are great....but honestly, shoot it stock. When you start to outshoot your pistol...treat yourself to something fancy....it's the shooter, not the pistol...)
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:19   #9
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Yup. Sell it and get a 2011.

lol.

j/k.

.... sorta.

Seriously though, you can compete with any gun, as long as you are very proficient with it. It's just that the 2011 just makes it so much easier.

If you're looking specifically at the 1911, there are a lot of mods you can do to it, very similar to the 2011.

Out of the box, and no matter how hard you upgrade it, you will already be restricted by one big difference that the 2011 has over the 1911:

- gas capacity

This has an effect in CAPS, especially for high round stages (this will only happen outside of Canada if you ever end up competing internationally for Action Air.)

But even in Canada, you are limited to 10+1 rounds and the first shot will definitely have a greater difference than the last shot in velocity if you are shooting a single stack 1911 versus a 2011.

It's just due to the capacity of the 1911 mag. There's nothing you can do about that, besides going with HPA through an external rig. But that's not practical for CAPS.

Besides that, if you're still stuck on the 1911, there are a couple of functional upgrades that you can do:

1) Enhanced recoil & hammer springs
2) Enlarged mag well
3) Oversized mag paddle
4) Tuned trigger/bow
5) Upgraded sear/hammer
6) High flow valves
7) Precision barrels

There are three main principles to IPSC / CAPS: Speed, Power, and Accuracy. These can be reflected in to airsoft and all three principles are applied to both the shooter as well as the tool in various aspects.

As far as the tool goes, all items apply to principle #1, Speed.
- Item 1 increases the cycling speed of your pistol through the enhanced recoil spring. The enhanced hammer spring ensures a hard and consistent hit on the valve to maintain maximum velocity for fast hits. The enhanced recoil spring dramatically decreases the time your pistol requires to return to battery. This is a necessary modification for fast double-taps.
- Items 2 & 3 increase reloading speed dramatically.
- Item 4 will shorten the pull length, which increases speed time, especially for double taps. It reduces excess slop.
- Item 5 makes the pull smoother, which also increases how fast you can pull the trigger - no stop in the pull means a fast hit.
- Item 6 & 7 increases the velocity at which the projectile gets shot out. The faster it hits the target, the faster you can register the hit and move on to the next target.

These items apply to principle 2, Power:
- Item 1 will ensure maximum velocity consistently through the enhanced hammer spring
- Item 6 & 7 ensures high velocity to minimize the time your brain needs to register a projectile leaving your barrel, hitting the target, registering through your eye, travelling through your optical cortex and and finally registering in your brain.

These items apply to the final principle of Accuracy:
- Item 1, the hammer spring ensures consistent hits on each strike of the valve to make sure the last shot is equivalent in power to the last shot. Inconsistent power can result in BBs that shoot higher or lower than the previous shot.
- Items 4 & 5 make your trigger pull as minimal, as smooth and as light as possible without causing unsafe action. Heavy and long pulls by a non-proficient shooter will cause the shooter to "jerk" or "pull" the weapon in unwanted directions while expecting or anticipating the break of the sear. A smooth and light pull should be like tapping an electronic button, with the shot automatically breaking afterwards. Eliminating the anticipation prevents the shooter from mentally "correcting" an action that should not be corrected. Such anticipations create "blips" in accuracy.
- Item 7 will tighten groupings and overall accuracy

Depending on the division you're going for, if you're okay with shooting in open division, you can increase your barrel length as well as use optics (red dot sights) which will greatly increase your speed and accuracy.

Finally, the most important item you will require for CAPS that will increase your speed, is a proper race rig. A race ready belt, speed holsters and proper race magazine holsters will dramatically increase draw speeds and reload speeds while maintaining a proper level of safety.

Ultimately, it's more about the shooter than the tools, although really pimped out tools does have a huge psychological aspect to the game (which is why I have so many guns, to compensate for my crappy skill.) Some of our top shooters are using bone stock production division pistols that are barely holding together...

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Cheers,
Brian
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications