Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Got a letter from CBSA as well... any assistance would be grateful

:

General

Old October 5th, 2016, 17:25   #1
NAAZ
One of those username tags...

Lightbulb Got a letter from CBSA as well... any assistance would be grateful

I'm going to give the number on the form a call, but from what I've seen, CBSA expects a written response. the status of the item is currently detailed TO DETERMINE ADMISSIBILITY.

if that is the case, anyone here have experience with such situations? the item in question is an airsoft gun, with legal FPS limit.

edit of all edits: received the gun today. there was no part 2 of the letter. in part 1 they stated they'd review the item and if unacceptable, they'd send part 2.

but of course the package had CBSA tape on it, indicating that it was inspected. but inside the box everything is where it should be.

Last edited by NAAZ; November 10th, 2016 at 13:15..
NAAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 17:47   #2
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

this is why we try to deal locally even if we need to get special orders.
when you reply to them include detailed information on the modle of the gun including links and copies of web pages of either the retailer or the manufacturer or both that state the fps of the gun.
what is the item in question? if its something way out there and rare it could be just they are unfamiliar with the specific item.
things i can think of.
if the website says 350-400fps then the gun "could" shoot below 366
if the gun has an included "barrel extension" (read supressor) that may be an issue.
if its a tm of any kind itll likely still be on the ban list thing so even if you had it pre upgraded with documentation it could be an issue. (though i see alot of tm retail so who knows the current method of import for those
anyhow it does happen but knowing the item may lend a clue as to why its held up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 17:47   #3
Sputmilk

Same as in my thread. When you call they tell you to sit tight for 4 to 6 weeks while an officer determines if it will be allowed into canada. You only have to worry about doing something when you get the second letter.
Sputmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 17:55   #4
NAAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
this is why we try to deal locally even if we need to get special orders.
when you reply to them include detailed information on the modle of the gun including links and copies of web pages of either the retailer or the manufacturer or both that state the fps of the gun.
what is the item in question? if its something way out there and rare it could be just they are unfamiliar with the specific item.
things i can think of.
if the website says 350-400fps then the gun "could" shoot below 366
if the gun has an included "barrel extension" (read supressor) that may be an issue.
if its a tm of any kind itll likely still be on the ban list thing so even if you had it pre upgraded with documentation it could be an issue. (though i see alot of tm retail so who knows the current method of import for those
anyhow it does happen but knowing the item may lend a clue as to why its held up.
yes true. I only got into building custom guns maybe 2 months ago, and was new to the whole retailing thing. but lesson learned, next time I'll look at local retailers in Canada.

my gun is VFC MP5K. the full authentic markings might be one of things that customs is unsure about. as for the FPS, I contacted the overseas retailer to let them know to increase the FPS, so it is around 400 instead. shouldn't be too much of a drop to have it shoot below 366.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputmilk View Post
Same as in my thread. When you call they tell you to sit tight for 4 to 6 weeks while an officer determines if it will be allowed into canada. You only have to worry about doing something when you get the second letter.
in part A, it says "you are required to contact the following address concerning the requirements that have to be met". from this I'd say I have to take action to call them.
Old October 5th, 2016, 18:04   #5
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

The factory rated fps is probably going to be on duster, not propane, so you might be boned.
They don't always go by what the retailer alleges it shoots, sometimes they actually look up the factory specs for it. And CBSA isn't going to care if it's measured on duster or propane.

Especially with GBBRs that are typically rated below 366fps on duster, you should really buy through local retailers to avoid issues with customs.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 18:29   #6
Sputmilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAZ View Post
in part A, it says "you are required to contact the following address concerning the requirements that have to be met". from this I'd say I have to take action to call them.
This was detailed in my thread. An automated voice message tells you that if you receive a notice of detention you have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for a decision letter. When you get the decision letter, it comes with a sheet detailing the 3 options to you.

First option is Appeal, and they give you an address in Toronto to mail a letter to. Second is Abandon, they destroy it. Third is Export. they give you 2 other sheets telling you what you need to return to sender. Whatever decision you make has to be done within 90 days of the date on the decision letter.

You aren't required to do anything until you get the decision letter. So you got 4-6 weeks to decide if you want to appeal or export.
Sputmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 18:37   #7
Kingsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputmilk View Post

Letter of Seizure is normal, if everything is in order 2-3 weeks.

If they have something to suspect ( Or anything that confuses them). 2-3 Months for someone higher up to clear. They actually have a inspection department with BBs, batteries, green gas and chronographs.

You should contact them as per the letter, you'll probably get the answering machine. Just keep trying say 2-3 times a week, calling more means they'll blacklist your number and never pick up.

chances are they know it's a airsoft gun. Be Courteous ask them if there is anything they need from you.

A little Typo on the letter caused my rifle to be sent for inspection took 2 months to clear.

I had a friend that took 8 months.

Another one got lost in the mail between Customs and Canada post, both sides blamed each other.

If you think this is unusual take into account that big corporations have teams of customs brokers at CBSA office every day demanding updates.

Just that Status Quo
Old October 6th, 2016, 08:43   #8
NAAZ

called the numbers listed on the form. it's an automated response for each number, 7942 and 7615 ending. the former one says to standby for a follow-up letter that will say either the item will be admitted or will be seized in which I will have 3 options. the latter number basically says to leave a message which I guess is irrelevant in this case.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General