Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Boafeng Radios?

:

Accessories Discussion

Old December 1st, 2014, 17:29   #1
Aquamarine
PanSexual

Send a message via MSN to Aquamarine Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamarine Send a message via Skype™ to Aquamarine
Boafeng Radios?

So I saw these on DealExtreme: http://www.dx.com/p/baofeng-1-5-lcd-...9#.VHyY9tLF87l .... And since I only have a couple RadioShack style FRS radios in 'mid-afternoon bright see-across-the-field-blue' color, I'd like something that is a little more reliable that isn't going to break the bank. I have no reason to spend more than $100 on a radio since I don't pretend to be Mr. Military, and I go out to have fun with friends, not impress others with small testes who failed out at life and must be overly-serious in a game where we pretend to be in the army.

So what do you think? Decent little radio? Or could you folks suggest something else that won't break the bank that will still reach from one side of an average field to the other?

Thanks gents and ladies!
Old December 1st, 2014, 18:10   #2
Danke

I think a bunch of people use those.

Are you still in Calgary? Part of what you pick will depend on the other players favorite flavor of handhelds.
Old December 1st, 2014, 18:21   #3
SuperHog

Both PX888 and UV5R are good, but use the software and programming cable to simplify your life.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 18:57   #4
grantmac

If you want simple on the field programming then the UV-B5 is substantially easier to do. The others basically require the programming cable.

Keep in mind that you CAN dial up any old freq and start transmitting, which is to say there is nothing to stop you from doing some very illegal stuff. On the other hand they offer a heck of a lot more versatility then your average FRS.

They use a Kenwood headset jack.

-Grant
grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 20:04   #5
L473ncy

I'm getting a Wouxun KG-UVD1P, it's on order right now. If you want to go to a game sometime let me know and you can have a test of it. ThunderCactus is going to get it programmed for me. Talk to TC, he's decently knowledgeable about these radios. I'm not an EE or anything so I don't know much more than he does about signal modulation and processing and the like other than some basic stuff I'm learning as I research.

Baofeng from what I understand based on the reviews of other Ham Operators is a decent starter but if you want the best top of the line stuff, Yaesu is the HT radio that you want. Looks ugly but it works and is all sealed, I think it's good submerged in 1m of water for like 30 mins. It's also made in Japan.

Also, holy shit that is a steal of a deal for a little radio like that.

Baofeng UV5R review: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10349

BTW: If it interests you look at getting a HAM license, I'm trying to do it too next year. Also the power of the radio is only one factor in getting your signal across the field. Another factor is getting a good antenna. I suspect it uses a Female SMA (don't quote me on that) which you can get plenty of aftermarket antennas for (I believe Smiley Antenna makes pretty good antennas in a compact package). You'll also want to look at getting a high gain "buggy whip" style antenna, I almost bought a 40cm one but I figured that I was probably good with the stock one, and I can order one at a later date.

One more thing, try to look for li-ion batteries. One of the complaints with the Puxing is that it uses older NiMh batteries compared to Li-ion. Just one more thing to think about.

Last edited by L473ncy; December 1st, 2014 at 20:22..
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 20:55   #6
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

My new Puxing 888K came with a li-ion battery.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 21:22   #7
L473ncy

Ahh.... Didn't realize that they came up with a new model. I was only familiar with the older 888, looks like the 888K does come with a Li-ion battery. Still Baofeng is a decent entry level brand for entry level HAM operators so still a decent buy.
Old December 1st, 2014, 21:28   #8
GR

UV-5R is probably the most common radio used for airsoft (at least in Eastern Europe it was - almost every 3-rd airsofter had it). Has enough features to cover pretty much anything. I personally went for the UV-82, since it's a bit bigger, has a better battery, and a tad larger buttons.

Overall, Baofeng has great range of radios, which for the price ($30 - 50), just can't be beat.
GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 21:57   #9
SuperHog

My PX888 came with factory Li-ion batteries.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 22:36   #10
FlyGuy

Just a gentle reminder here for folks advocating using "ham" radios on FRS/GMRS frequencies that to do so breaks a number of Canadian laws. Not that it would be enforced unless your operation of those radios started attracting attention to yourself by causing interference to other licensed services; or, someone complained hard enough to IC about you. The reason I bring this up is because "ham" radios do not undergo technical certification for among other things, spectral purity of the emitted signal. So if you end-up with a (really) cheap radio, it might just be you really did get what you paid for and while you're gleefuly shouting orders to other airsofters on your team on a FRS channel, you may also be simultaneously sending out copies of yourself across multiple different frequencies above and below the one you're operating on. If one of those copies (spurious emission) lands on say a police tactical or fire or some other important service and causes disruption to their operations for a long enough period of time, you can bet the feds will eventually show up at your game day, and they won't be happy.

That said: These are not the droids you're looking for...move along.

'Fly

Team GHOSTS - Fides et Amicitia
G-68

"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 22:41   #11
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

I've seen the Baofeng, but I stick to Puxing and recommend them as well
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 00:11   #12
L473ncy

@ FlyGuy: Are these radios not IC/FCC certified for operation within North America though?
Old December 2nd, 2014, 15:43   #13
grantmac

All the reviews I've seen of the Baofengs by techie Hams have been very positive, however most coming into the country do not have any FCC compliance sticker. Moreover the FRS freqs don't have any licensed channels in between them with the exception of the GMRS simplex freqs and those are looking to be deregulated in the US (and then Canada) in the next few years.

With the UV-B5 I can program all the FRS freqs and name them by hand in about 20 minutes. My only complaint with it is the antenna is not terribly durable but was fixable with some additional glue (joint wasn't super strong on the base). They are a male SMA. I'm looking for a whip antenna which I can mount in my gear at the moment.

-Grant
grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 17:34   #14
L473ncy

Hey Grant, what certification should you be looking for on those radios? From what I understand you want to be looking for "Part 90" certification?
Old December 2nd, 2014, 17:53   #15
siggypoo

I've been browsing DX for a couple days now, and have been wondering how likely an ordered silencer would make it to my mailbox.
At least based on this topic, I think I'll try a Baofeng radio too.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion