Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G&P FSBE AAV sizing vs. real FSBE AAV

:

Gear Discussion

Old August 17th, 2006, 23:09   #1
Drake
E-01

G&P FSBE AAV sizing vs. real FSBE AAV

I've got a G&P FSBE armor, sized XL, which fits me properly (I'm 5'6" 140lbs -- not an XL by any standard, usually wear Med/Reg or Short/Reg) so I'm guessing the armor is equivalent to a "medium" or "large" in the real world (it's a bit big, I have to adjust it as small as it'll go, but I don't have SAPI plates in it yet).

The reason I need to know is I'm shopping for an IBA neck protector for it, which I've only found available in the form of real armor, and I'm trying to figure out which size to pick up. (not entirely sure how critical sizing is for it, either, given how the yoke attaches)

I remember someone on ASC, at some point, had a setup like this... so if anyone has experience with this, or can shed some light on the matter, it'd be appreciated.
Old August 24th, 2006, 18:33   #2
hammer

I have a real FSBE in size medium. If someone can give me the equivalent G&P measurements, I can compared the two. Whether the ratio holds for XL though is beyond me.
Old August 24th, 2006, 23:01   #3
Drake
E-01

Well, with the help of some friendly eBayers, I was able to get some sizings and ordered some parts to test.

The IBA groin protector comes in two formats: S/M, and L/XL which have straps 7 inches and 9 inches apart respectively. The distance between the two tabs on the inside front of my G&P XL are 7 inches. So for the groin protector, it would seem it's a M. (Hammer, maybe you can confirm this on your real M)

The yoke/collar, I ordered a large one but I'm not 100% it'll fit (I'll post when I get it). Seller measured 5 inches between the farthest ends of the straps on the back of the collar, which is the measure on mine... but I suspect they're maybe all that size? (actually I'd like to hear the measurement on the Medium)

Given that it's flexible and velcro, i think it should be okay. The G&P FSBE doesn't have any attachment points on the front side of the armor for the yoke, I'm guessing so it won't prevent the armor from releasing? Is the real on like this?

And the throat protector is one size fits all, so that should be fine.
Old August 27th, 2006, 14:13   #4
hammer

WRT the groin protector spacing, if you are measuring from the centre to centre of the two webbing channels, the spacing is 7" on the medium FSBE. On the collar, backside, end to end of the straps is 5.5". As you said with the replica one, the real FSBE also doesn't have webbing attachment for the yoke/collar on the front, but there are three square loop velcro patches on the front collar, as well as under each shoulderstrap, which I believe match up with the yoke/collar.
Old August 27th, 2006, 17:11   #5
Drake
E-01

Thanks for the info.

The G&P has one square loop velcro under each shoulder (to hold sides of the yoke/collar)

And only one square of velcro in the front, center chest, to fasten down the throat protector.

Anyway, hopefully the stuff arrives soon and I can test it out. I'll post some pics. Thanks again for the help, Hammer, it's much appreciated.
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:10   #6
Drake
E-01

Okay, first update... somewhat as I feared, the large Yoke/Collar is slightly too big for the G&P XL. It fits, but the velcro on the shoulders are "too far forward" (in relation to the vest) by about 1 inch.

So between that and the groin protector, I feel it's safe to say the G&P XL works out to Medium on a real FSBE AAV.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion