Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

KJW M9A1 vs KJW M9 Elite IA

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old December 20th, 2014, 20:49   #1
Datawraith

KJW M9A1 vs KJW M9 Elite IA

Hello.
I was just wondering if there was any difference between the KJW M9A1 and the KJW M9 Elite IA other then aesthetics (slide design is slightly different, outer barrel is stainless and polished instead of matte black).
I know the Elite IA has a plastic mag catch; does the M9A1 have a metal mag catch? Are there any other differences? As well, are there any known problems or parts that need to be replaced with either of these pistols?
Thanks.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 16:01   #2
FirestormX

The internals are quite similar. I've owned several of both models, and haven't noticed any differences internally - though I'm not particularly observant.

I believe that they both have plastic mag catches.

I'm not a fan of the grip on the Elite. The M9A1 has grips that a bulge at the rear, while the Elite is flatter. If you look at a P226 grip vs a 1911 grip, you'll see an exaggerated example of see what I mean. There's a bulge at the back to go into the palm of your hand on the M9A1, like the P226 has, while the Elite does not, similar to the 1911.

Some like it, some don't. Maybe I'm just used the M9A1's grips.

Note that the shape is in the pistol frame itself. Tossing A1 grips onto the Elite frame will not make it rounded, and will just look silly.
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 16:16   #3
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Just cosmetics.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 16:21   #4
Datawraith

Thanks for replies!
So the M9A1 doesn't have a metal mag catch? (looking at pictures on Google, the mag catches look different, and I haven't found any threads detailing M9A1 mag catches wearing out, while the Elite has those threads and recommendations of installing a Guarder FM mag catch).
Also, do either of these pistols have any known issues other then leaky mags? (could someone also tell me proper maintenance procedures on CO2 mags? I checked the stickies, but they're really all over the place)
Thanks very much!
Old December 22nd, 2014, 17:00   #5
FirestormX

I'll take a look when I get home (and probably post back tomorrow), but I'm pretty sure that the A1 and Elite both have plastic mag catches.

You'll want to keep an eye on one of the springs in the trigger. It's been so long since I've popped an M9 open, that I can't remember which spring it is, but I know that I've had two of them snap on me.
The spring is involved in resetting the trigger. So when you pull the trigger, the spring will move the trigger forward so you can pull it again.

Styrak might know better than I do.

Overall, though, KJW M9s are resilient and tough little guys. They may not perform as well as a TM or KWA, and they're lacking a functional decocker, but it's hard to get them to fail you. Unless you get a lemon, they'll just keep going, with minimal part replacements (which you can get dirt cheap, straight from KJW).
Old December 23rd, 2014, 00:12   #6
FirestormX

Okay, I'm fairly certain that the Elite I currently own has the original mag catch, and that it is plastic.

It's possible that the mag catch in my Elite got swapped with an A1 mag catch, as I've done a lot of cannibalization over the past few years...But it's not likely that KJW would have a completely separate process to manufacture a metal catch for the Elite and not the A1.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 12:16   #7
Datawraith

Thanks a lot FirestormX.
I guess I'll go and see which one fits my hand better then.
Kind of stupid though, making a full metal pistol with a plastic mag catch isn't it?
Old December 23rd, 2014, 12:26   #8
SuperCriollo

Its a 15$ part that won't wear down after a few years of use, relax dude xD

Just pick whichever one you like most.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion