Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > ASC News and Announcements
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

In regards to "banana" bumping sales threads.

:

ASC News and Announcements

Old April 21st, 2011, 16:15   #31
FACE
a.k.a. Phoneguy

Would it also be too much to ask of people to edit the title of the thread to include the word "banana" so that I don't waste my time opening the thread, looking through 2 -20 posts of bump only to get to the end of it (like HKGHOST has said) and see a "sold" or "banana". I know I'm asking for too much, but with the influx of sales thread lately, people have become so lazy in maintaining there own posts.

This also goes for a few sales posts that I've personally responded to that haven't gotten back to me. Granted, they are 4-5 months old, but if the item hasn't been bumped in that long than the mods should be able to move it to the trash or something.

Cheers,
FACE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
Long story short:
If your gun is in Canada, leave it in Canada.
If your gun is not in Canada, leave it outside of Canada.
FACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 21:00   #32
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

A user was just banned for 72 hours for banana bumping.

3 day bans for banana bumping are now in effect.

If sales thread banana bumping continues the new time will be moved up to 5 days.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:27   #33
vandal138

Send a message via ICQ to vandal138
Wasn't Banana used as a code word to search for already sold items? I remember reading this in the rules when I first joined the forums.
I'm sure the people posting with Banana don't go and check if the forum rules are updated each time they post, but maybe they should?
vandal138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:37   #34
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal138 View Post
Wasn't Banana used as a code word to search for already sold items? I remember reading this in the rules when I first joined the forums.
I'm sure the people posting with Banana don't go and check if the forum rules are updated each time they post, but maybe they should?

It still is.

The problem is some people are bumping their threads to write banana (hence "banana bumping") instead of editing it into the original post like they're supposed to. Just like some people are still deleting prices and replacing them with "sold", or erasing the message/item entirely.

As for checking the rules, this has been announced several times and a full year passed without the rule being enforced (only warnings). There's a limit to how dense people are allowed to be before they get slapped.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:08   #35
vandal138

Send a message via ICQ to vandal138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
It still is.

The problem is some people are bumping their threads to write banana (hence "banana bumping") instead of editing it into the original post like they're supposed to. Just like some people are still deleting prices and replacing them with "sold", or erasing the message/item entirely.

As for checking the rules, this has been announced several times and a full year passed without the rule being enforced (only warnings). There's a limit to how dense people are allowed to be before they get slapped.
ahhh, okay. I get it.
you can slap me now. :smack:
vandal138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 14:40   #36
ex
Wanna buy some Nod's? #StolenValour

RIGHT THEN..>LAST WARNING EVERYONE<

I have banned 2 people today for 3 days.

5 Day bans are now on the table.
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:04   #37
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal138 View Post

You should be checking the rules periodically they are update now and then and overhauled usually every one or two years with a change in the title reflecting major changes.
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:52   #38
Apoc_
Eagle Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
but Darklen do you agree if people report others for banana bumping?

I personally hate people doing that because for one, you thought it was available but when reading the bottom fine line found otherwise.
I don't see an answer to this. Will I continue getting infractions for reporting people who banana bump, or has this changed and we can now rat out the stupid?

APOCALYPSE - TEAM HELLFISH
Apoc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 15:30   #39
Darklen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
but Darklen do you agree if people report others for banana bumping?

I personally hate people doing that because for one, you thought it was available but when reading the bottom fine line found otherwise.
Definitely report banana bumping as it's against the classifieds rules, and here's why.

Look at it this way. If I'm "shopping" in the classifieds, what do I want to see more; 1) available bumped items that people want to sell? or 2) a bunch of shit which is no longer available?

There are almost 50,000 members on this site. That's almost 50,000 potential customers looking for whatever your selling in the classified section. In the grand scheme of things, how many of them are interested that you've sold your stuff, really? Almost none.

As a potential seller in the classifieds, I'd get pretty pissed off if my active ad gets bumped down because someone thought it was more important to tell everyone his stuff has all sold.

We keep trying to tell people here, the only ones who need to know you've sold all your stuff is the staff, so we can move your old ad to the archives. Edit your original post and add the word "banana". Don't change or delete prices or goods for sale as people can use the old ad in the archives to base a sale price on or see what particular items sell for. We'll do a search for the word on a regular basis and remove the ad. Simple and easy.
Old May 15th, 2011, 15:39   #40
FACE
a.k.a. Phoneguy

Nothing wrong with rating out the stupid. And I would also like to add that people that keep REMOVING the price and replacing it with SOLD or BANANA are as equally guilty of breaking the classifieds rules as someone who bumps on the 7th day. That's right boys, it says right in the rules .... ONLY BUMP ON THE 8TH DAY. That means those that bump on the 7th day are the same as those that bump on the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th day.

Read the rules, than read them again and after you've done that and posted a classified ...... what the heck read them one more time. LOL.

Cheers,
FACE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
Long story short:
If your gun is in Canada, leave it in Canada.
If your gun is not in Canada, leave it outside of Canada.
FACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 17:55   #41
StrikeFreedom

How about those that leaves sold items in the OP? Is that going to be addressed? I think that's worse than banana bumping. Banana-bumped threads maybe near the top of the forum for a few days, and then it'll be archived to the sold section. However, threads with sold items will always be there. I hate browsing through search results only to find out it's marked sold in the end.
StrikeFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 20:51   #42
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFreedom View Post
How about those that leaves sold items in the OP? Is that going to be addressed? I think that's worse than banana bumping. Banana-bumped threads maybe near the top of the forum for a few days, and then it'll be archived to the sold section. However, threads with sold items will always be there. I hate browsing through search results only to find out it's marked sold in the end.
Do you mean threads with multiple items? Some are sold and some are not?

How else would you want them to do it...
- Multiple threads for all items would cause MASS amounts of clutter. One person could take up the first page or more with one session of bumps.
- Rules state that you cant remove price or item, and adding banana to a post with items that are not sold yet would not be productive at all.

Most threads I see have all the sold items moved to the bottom on the OP in a list of sold items, good enough for me.

Last edited by Cobrajr122; May 15th, 2011 at 20:53..
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 21:08   #43
Rugger_can

What about putting the sold items in a code window to prevent the search function from hitting them? I know old versions of vb the search function did not parse code windows. Thus they can keep the sold things within the same thread but they won't clutter up a search?

Code:
CODE APPEARS LIKE THIS AND THE CODE BUTTON IS # IT IS DONE TO ALLOW THE WRITING OF CODE WITHOUT EXECUTION

Personally I find it more annoying when searching for a specific item I will have to go through ten threads where the item is already sold but the user still has other items for sale.
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 22:23   #44
StrikeFreedom

How is moving sold items to the bottom of the OP good enough? These sold items exist under the classifieds for as long as the thread remains there, which is literally forever. Potential buyers don't need to see these upon the search results. If you search for "sold" or "spf", many threads would come up.

How about making it so that users can post/edit threads in the sold section? When certain items are sold, they must archive them to their respective sold thread, instead of leaving them in their FS thread. When the entire FS thread is sold, they can mark it banana.
StrikeFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 23:13   #45
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFreedom View Post
How about making it so that users can post/edit threads in the sold section? When certain items are sold, they must archive them to their respective sold thread, instead of leaving them in their FS thread. When the entire FS thread is sold, they can mark it banana.
This is asking A LOT of the user and will only lead to more fuckups. People are lazy, it will not happen like that.
Without regulation (more work for admins) they will be more likely to simply remove the item from the original sales thread.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > ASC News and Announcements