Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

400+ FPS JG ver. 2 Mechbox Survivability?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old September 7th, 2014, 22:04   #31
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

No argument there.
I've been running a CYMA shell with an old MASk system installed, running it hard, and it's happy.

What I've been speaking from, as stated, is a rental tech's perspective. 95% of the guns I worked on saw use and abuse that 99% of all AEGs will never see.
Still though, there's a base of observable and trackable commonality between all of these systems, and when we're talking strict longevity, we're eating my bread and butter.

Edit:
It's similar to getting a gun in where someone has slammed 10s of thousands of rounds on a LiPo through a gun which wasn't built for it, but encountered a catastrophic failure.

They didn't hit that failure point because of LiPo MaGiC, they did it because any of these structures and/ or materials have a limited lifespan. That's all I was trying to point at.

Last edited by Cliffradical; September 7th, 2014 at 22:18..
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 22:35   #32
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

G&P 249. V2 mechbox. $450 of prometheus internals. 380fps @ 1500rpm. Zero mechbox failures in 5 years of running. This year didnt count since I havent used it.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 01:04   #33
Cliffradical

Frank, you know your stuff, I love your posts, but you're missing the point completely.

Edit:
I'm trying to encourage people to look after their gearboxes and/ or send them off to decent techs in a way that doesn't talk down to them.

Last edited by Cliffradical; September 8th, 2014 at 01:10..
Old September 8th, 2014, 18:56   #34
ThunderCactus

I understand. Some mechboxes last a long time with minimal work, and I'm a big fan of "upgrade it as you break it"
But in the end, the product is the same. You either spend the money as it breaks and pay a fee for your gunsmith opening the mechbox every time. Or you drop the (closer to) $300 these days and just get it all upgraded at once

Over the decade I've had two kinds of customers. The kind that come to me every year with something else broken, and the kind that I build a whole mechbox for and never see again.

It's insulting to think that you have to spend what the gun is worth on upgrades to get it to finally be sound-mind reliable, but it is what it is and I'm not fond of spending $2400 on a ptw and immediately having to spend another $400 on a motor either lol
Old September 8th, 2014, 19:01   #35
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the minimum upgrade I do these days to make it worth people's money is immediate shim, sorbo/aoe and airseal upgrades usually with a steel rack piston body. Sometimes the stock seal is just terrible, if you do one, you might as well do the other 3 since you're in there already. After that it should shoot reliably until you need a new cutoff or trigger contacts.

unless if you have shitty g&p or CA gears... then expect to bend an axle or break a gear. Even then, those are a roll of the dice how long they'll last, even with upgraded gears unless you go prommy or riot.
Old September 8th, 2014, 19:05   #36
ThunderCactus

I'm not huge on using prometheus gears outside of LMG's. Super high quality as they may be, they're just stupid heavy.
Makes them great for maintaining full auto very efficiently, but it's really hard on the motor and mosfet doing lots of semi auto.
Old September 8th, 2014, 19:12   #37
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

shs... I use that shit in everything. lol.

30 bucks for a gearset, if they break... drop in a new set. I've yet to have a set break on me and I'm up in a couple dozen sets out there in my builds with 30+rps and more than 20k rounds through guns and 0 failures.
Old September 8th, 2014, 22:56   #38
Cliffradical

In my experience, the SHS line was pretty damn good. Lasted well in rentals, and performed well in player guns. Well above stock part performance, to the point where they began to rival higher-end aftermarket parts, especially where they were so much less expensive.

Frank:
What's a good recommendation for a gearset that'll see a shitload of semi these days?
My MP5 needs some and I'm willing to drop dollars.

Last edited by Cliffradical; September 8th, 2014 at 22:59..
Old September 9th, 2014, 10:31   #39
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I predominately use semi only, g36 has seen about 15000 rounds this year, mostly in semi. 13:1 shs with 11.1 30C 1600mah and a lonex a1.

It's been in use like that for 2 years, probably another 10k-15k rounds last year when it pushed my p90 from my go to primary.

the p90 had similar setup but with shs 16:1s and went 2 years with the similar motor and battery, probably higher round count. An odd airseal issue developed and I'm in the process of moving parts around, that gearset is now in my mp5 with a spectre fet, 7.4 60C 4200mah battery. I need to tweak a couple things with it like put the motor from the p90 in rather than use a new motor. I'd say the shs gears would be up to your task.
Old September 9th, 2014, 11:00   #40
cetane

Quote:
I'd say the shs gears would be up to your task.
+1 to that. If you want to spend more than shs, go siegetek.

~$80 on prommy gears not worth it for what you get over the shs.
cetane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 18:17   #41
Cliffradical

Great, that's one of the few things which hasn't changed much since I was still active.
Keeping on top of brands and innovations is a lot of info to crunch unless you're actively turning over guns.
Old September 11th, 2014, 19:23   #42
ThunderCactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetane View Post
~$80 on prommy gears not worth it for what you get over the shs.
Unless the thing that you want is all the extra weight so you can get 7-9BB/mah doing full auto and essentially run your 249 off a 1200mah stick battery for an op

I'd run lighter gears for semi though, like SHS or lonex or siegetek. Wasn't particularly impressed with the quality of SHS or lonex but they seem to last. Can't argue with market review.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion